Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#39089 10/17/08 12:11 PM
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Played this back at the hotel after the show last night before I went to bed.

I liked all of the new re-worked versions as soon as I heard them.Looking forward to playing it again when I've had some more sleep.

Brian

#39090 10/17/08 01:36 PM
My copy is on its way courtesy of Peter!

I'm really looking forward to both CDs, especially Impossible.

Thanks Peter!

#39091 10/17/08 03:31 PM
B
B
Just listening to this at the moment,

Good stuff - I spotted that Louis' vocals come through a bit more noticeably in some places.

I always thought it would be an interesting addition to have a few alternative mixes - and I like the slight changes to some lyrics as well.

Phil

#39092 10/17/08 07:33 PM
Just listening to Impossible now, other than Adult Concerns and Walk This Way for me it's nice to hear studio versions of material that's basically been done live.

I really enjoyed hearing an instrumental track with Louis as I've always been a big fan of John's instrumental music.

I've got so many things to listen to from John and Louis that I'm struggling to hear it all, which in itself is not a bad thing laugh In the good ol' days we had 1 album a year normally from a group artist now I've 5 in 2 weeks LOL smile I'm not complaining though.

Anyone who wasn't at the concert and unable to buy this disc it is recommended .

No probs Alex getting you a copy.

Peter

#39093 10/20/08 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I've got so many things to listen to from John and Louis that I'm struggling to hear it all, which in itself is not a bad thing
Yeah, I'm not sure I've actually listened all the way through to all eight discs of Glimmer, the Garden, The Golden Section, and In Mysterious Ways. Come to think of it, I can't have; disc 2 of TGS is defective, so I can only hear a little of the last track (replacement coming from Amazon).

And yet I can't wait for Impossible and Neuro Video to show up on Townsend's site. And I want more new stuff. Bring on that Robin Guthrie collaboration! (Hell, I haven't even listened to 3:19 yet...)

#39094 10/20/08 10:06 AM
It's an interesting listen. At the moment though I'm more excited and impressed with the artwork, than the music itself.

Some tracks work, some don't, and some feel a little pointless, barely differing from previous versions.

The real highlights for me, have to be "The Man Who Dies Every Day" and "Walk This Way".

It's interesting that half of From Trash has been re-recorded here - or maybe these were outtakes or original versions? Anyway, the one that really stands out is "From Trash". The heavier, treated vocal makes this version far superior to the original IMHO - this is how it should have sounded.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for "Impossible" (despite a brilliant bit of drum programming) or "A Million Cars".

Now, John, that screamy female vocal sample... Why? Why?! It's not as bad as the "Star Trek" wails on the single version of "No-One Driving", but it surely falls into the same category!!

The vocal however is much better here.... some real power to it smile .

Lovely slow version of "X-Ray Vision" too... sounding much less like the 2006 live rendition of "Slow Motion".

#39095 10/20/08 03:43 PM
F
F
the version of CRASH AND BURN is cracking!

I agree that the version of IMPOSSIBLE itself is rather "meh".

It strikes me that, of all the Ultravox songs John has reworked for his post 1997 gigs, we've yet to hear a proper recording of SLOW MOTION (he did play that in 2006, didn't he, I wasn't dreaming?)

(the others on the list:
My Sex
The Man Who Dies Every Day
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Just for a Moment
Quiet Men
Dislocation

...and now of course YOUNG SAVAGE smile

PS Bravo to everyone who shouted out "ROCKWROCK!" at Cargo, after John had played Young Savage.
I could see he heard it, and was wryly amused smile

#39096 10/20/08 04:01 PM
A new recording of Slow Motion would be absolutely great. At least we've got the one from the Janice Long session, but a studio version would be ace

have to agree with "Crash and Burn" - I think it improves on the original, being a slightly heavier and worthy of its name.

#39097 10/20/08 04:27 PM
H
H
ROckwrok would work well in the modern stylee I think.

#39098 10/20/08 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
Come to think of it, I can't have; disc 2 of TGS is defective, so I can only hear a little of the last track .
Same here! frown

I only listened to Impossible twice yet - so I cannot built an opinion about it but Adult Concerns is a great opener... wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.