Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#39035 09/26/08 12:12 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
There's an 'official' flyer up on the venue's MySpace...the usual Metamatic pic no mention of Louis Gordon altho I imagine he'll be there .. .
(thankfully no mention of U******** either so fingers crossed..)

#39036 09/26/08 02:29 PM
F
F
U******* is really a forbidden word in this case (and unfortunate)

#39037 09/29/08 11:14 AM
Wow - it starts at 10pm? The show in Japan was packed up and gone by then!

There was no mention of Louis on the Japan promo material (or tickets), but he was definitely there!!

Jealous of anyone going to these European gigs. Enjoy!

#39038 09/29/08 12:53 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting remark! Yes things do tend to start later over here, and in fact I'd be surprised if it starts then too..but hey it's a Saturday night and there's even a party after!

#39039 10/20/08 11:15 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Well just by way of a 'report' rather than a 'review' I can tell you all it was good night even though we did have to wait until five minutes to midnight before John and Louis finally took the stage after a fairly bland DJ set! (7 o’clock Japanese friends take note..) The venue was fairly small and I would guess there were approx 250 people at the most, mostly of the 'dark' or 'gothic' ilk.
Anyway it was just the two of them on stage with a projection of images to the side of the stage, set a little bit back (so if you were at the front you wouldn't have seen it) and from what I have read/seen of the Cargo gig it was the loop which was shown before the London show rather than images of James Stewart or whatever.
The setlist was also the same so we kicked off with the new one which bounced and crashed along quite nicely together with Million Cars / Dislocation / The Man Who.. which all set the tone and were well received by the crowd. Then onto the Camera / Uptown duo which again created another kind of atmosphere (and thanks again to that young lady who chatted away in a high pitched voice during both...). The 3 Metamatic era ones were the real favourites of the night and I would have gladly have gone on in that era with maybe a My Face or even Plaza but we were once more catapulted forward with Shadow Man which personally doesn't do a lot for me and neither did much for the crowd. The pause after came as per Cargo..(if I hadn't known I would've felt a little disappointed!) re-opening very well with The Garden despite the bad sound (some kind of technical hitch?). Travel and Furniture up next although I'm not a fan of either and I felt they didn't do much for the gig as a whole . But Young Savage got things going again nicely thank you and there was much punky shouting along. Incredible that some of these songs are 30 years (or more) old... My Sex also well received and the finale with Endlessly and Shifting City brought things to an energetic end, with both John and Louis giving it their all. End of gig.

Immediately after a queue was forming for the photographs/autographs and mercifully John came down very shortly after to do the duties, affable and likeable as ever. Unfortunately the 80s disco was playing very loudly so we couldn't say much but I did (try to) tell him that perhaps he should read and contribute to the forum! HA! HA! HA! Anyway a great night and a real treat for Italian Foxxians. A lucky crowd and long may John continue to come over occasionally!
My thanks again to Federica and her husband for the help in finding the place (!) and they have some excellent photos so hope they can get them up soon for us all to enjoy. Gloria..where were you??
On a technical note (and I’m no techie) Louis only had one keyboard whereas I see at Cargo he had two - he had the one with 'Journey to the centre of the earth' written on the front (I wonder if it was still in working condition after getting a damn good bashing after Shifting City..) and John seemed to be doing a lot more actually ‘playing’ with respect to the gig I saw in Cento, Italy 18 months ago almost to the day.

CDs and T shirts were duly on sale (manager Steve supervising ) and seemed to go quite well. Would've been a good idea to have sold at least Glimmer as well as the other remasters too, since they are hard to find over here.

PS found some photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/temple1201/sets/72157608183721211/ and there was a lot of professional looking equipment and people around so I imagine more will crop up.

#39040 10/20/08 12:06 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Nice review - thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a good night was had by all - although the midnight start might have been a challenge

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#39041 10/20/08 12:06 PM
Start time noted! Wow! Well I guess they didn't have much time after the Cargo gig to get there, set up, etc...

Sounds like same keyboard setup as Japan - too much to carry through customs?? smile

#39042 10/20/08 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Sounds like same keyboard setup as Japan - too much to carry through customs?? smile
Cheers for the review D!

And yes you're right Solenoid - seems like John still retains the same minimal tour ethic as the '79 US SoR tour! smile

Where's Freddie Laker when you need him eh? laugh

#39043 10/20/08 01:50 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Nice review - thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a good night was had by all - although the midnight start might have been a challenge
..indeed. I think it finished around twenty to two.

#39044 10/20/08 02:01 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Poor quality amateur ([my]sex) video...

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=nTbH3osB1eQ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.