Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#38763 12/18/07 06:08 PM
Last night I had the urge to read though the lyric's on Luca's lyric website after reading this thread.

There were a few lines that I could easily relate to in my own personnel life. ( Don't worry I don't have broken furniture LOL)

It's still a cleverly writtern, thought provoking song with lots feeling and one of my favourites from C & B

Peter smile

#38764 12/19/07 01:01 PM
Not specific to this song but a thought in general about song lyrics.
I just finished reading John Peel's (semi) autobiography and there is a part where he is talking to John Lennon (they were friends).
Lennon said to Peel that he had to get the papers to read the reviews. Peel said to Lennon: 'you read them?' and Lennon replied, 'yes, I want to find out what our songs are about.'
smile

#38765 12/20/07 05:40 PM
That's one of the things I like about John's lyrics (John Foxx, not John Lennon), that they can mean whatever they mean to the individual listener. Regardless of what John was trying to convey, the lyrics will mean different things to different listeners. Lyrics in bog standard chart material songs, which are generally about relationships in one way or another, don't allow that freedom of interpretation. They all tend to be on the lines of somebody leaving somebody and the first somebody wishing the other one would come back and cak like that. I'm not saying John's never written a 'love' song (the title track of In Mysterious Ways is one of my favourite love songs) but things like Dislocation and the subject of this thread, Broken Furniture, allow the listener's imagination a free reign. This is probably the reason I'm still listening to John 27 years after buying Metamatic.

As a matter of interest, I do live in a house with broken furniture as one of the springs in my 20+ year old sofa snapped the other day. But at least my house has walls!

ΤΏΤ

#38766 12/20/07 08:28 PM
Administrator
Administrator
There's something comforting and familiar about Broken Furniture too of course, like old favourite jumpers.
The sofa may be kna*cked and the cupboard doors hanging off but you just want them to stay because they have become like old friends.
And, if you're anything like me, there's not always time and money to get new ones anyway.

We all throw away far too much.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#38767 12/20/07 08:45 PM
Also for me it's like an old pair of shoes. They're at there comfiest just as they're on there last legs.

I've struggled a bit some of John's lyrics especially on Metamatic but since Metal Beat was released and I thought John gave a good insight into his lyrics and I have a much clearer understanding. For me that what makes John so interesting.

I agree with you about Harmonia about "pop" and chart songs.

Peter smile

#38768 12/20/07 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I agree with you about Harmonia about "pop" and chart songs.
Yes, songs need a depth of imagery and self interpretation to keep them interesting. With most chart songs we've heard them before their written.

Early in the new year we will be getting another three piece suit, as our familiar one will be going after 22 years. frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.