Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I think they need to impose a limit on the number of copies people can buy - say no more than 2 or 3 copies perhaps.

It wouldn't be fair to be too strict as, it's common for people to kindly purchase copies for others who can't make it to gigs, but for those cretins who buy dozens - it just shouldn't be allowed.

L
L
I can see why limiting the number of CDs people can buy is an attractive idea, although I think there would be problems in doing so. For instance, I went with E.G. and a few friends of both of ours to the Manchester and Cargo gigs - although the others enjoyed it, they were not neccesarily 'fans' as such, so even if we'd each been limited to, say, three, we 'could' still have managed to purchase eighteen copies (we didn't - space in the rucksack was limited to one copy and smalls only thankfully), no problem. Also, I think the guy selling them on the desk would have also struggled if he had to police this. Recognising - and therefore stopping - people from taking advantage would be tricky as he seemed so busy (and eager) to take people's cash, somebody could, theoretically, have gone up several times on a 'three copies only' policy to purchase multiple copies and not be stopped.

I can see why people get cheesed off with sites such as eBay, but as long as releases are limited to a specific number of copies, this will always be a problem. Again, buyer beware - the best way to bring a sellers price down to something reasonable is simply not to buy them; try to get them through other sources such as friends or genuine retail outlets where possible. Thankfully, enough copies seem to have gone to Townsend Records to do this.

LG

Quote:
Originally posted by L. G. Ekin:
Also, I think the guy selling them on the desk would have also struggled if he had to police this. Recognising - and therefore stopping - people from taking advantage would be tricky as he seemed so busy (and eager) to take people's cash
Belive me,Ian is as sharp as a tack when he's on the stall and I for one wouldn't mess with him when he's pissed off smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Quote:
Originally posted by L. G. Ekin:
Also, I think the guy selling them on the desk would have also struggled if he had to police this. Recognising - and therefore stopping - people from taking advantage would be tricky as he seemed so busy (and eager) to take people's cash
Belive me,Ian is as sharp as a tack when he's on the stall and I for one wouldn't mess with him when he's pissed off smile
Absolutely Will. You can't blame the guy on the stall. It is frustrating that these things get sold on, and if as Alex pointed out earlier; someone buys 20 odd copies to sell for stupid amounts on EBay, AND gets them signed too that's also frustrating.
I've roadied for bands myself - I know how it is to an extent. I've sold stuff off stalls - bands/artists use this immediate cash normally to fund the food/fuel costs etc for the next day of the tour etc. On the day, the artist(s) is usually up to his/their ears in soundchecks, interviews, general management stuff, deadlines regarding stage times etc that it’s much easier to sign 20 copies than moan about it. I suppose from an outsiders point-of-view, a by-product of all this is that it probably doesn't do the artist(s) any harm whatsoever to be seen to have a highly regarded and highly collectable back catalogue either.

The guy on the stall has a job to do and he just does it the best he can, but I'm with Alex – it is frustrating; I was so concerned I wouldn’t get my CDs – I was the last guy in the queue on the last night of the tour and I reckon there wasn’t many left. Imagine if another date had been added?

I think I am going to have to raid my piggy bank for this smile

Quote:
£26 for the two CDs, including postage
Wonderful. mad Looks like I may be left with six copies now... Either that, or I take a loss on what I paid at the gig.

Luca & Hannu - If you're reading this thread; Unless I can get your copies mailed to you for £1 postage or less, you may be better off getting them from Townsend.

(It is actually good news that they'll be available elsewhere, specifically for those who can't make it to the gigs, but it would have been handy to know this beforehand).

Quote:
Originally posted by Ishikawa:
Quote:
£26 for the two CDs, including postage
Wonderful. mad Looks like I may be left with six copies now... Either that, or I take a loss on what I paid at the gig.

Luca & Hannu - If you're reading this thread; Unless I can get your copies mailed to you for £1 postage or less, you may be better off getting them from Townsend.
it doesn't matter if it costs a little extra, and i don't even have a credit card so it might be more difficult for me to get them from townsend anyway. just let me know how much postage and i'll pay you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.