Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#38533 10/06/07 10:19 PM
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Just back from the Barfly.

Good night,had to leave early because my lift had to go (a long story involving wives & puppies but we wont go there)

Nice to meet Sarah B & husband & Mr & Mrs X,didn't really get time to chat though.

The encore was after Touch & Go where it should have been so dont know what happened last night.

Venue was pretty full in the end.

There was a 2 man support band,clearly miming (apart from vocals) but I couldn't quite make out what they were called.

Best thing they did was a cover of a Joy Division song but I'm no Joy Division expert so I dont know the title.

Will pst some pictures later.

#38534 10/06/07 11:00 PM
D
D
There was a good crowd, and John and Louis were in the groove. We mostly stood upstairs at the back - I think the sound was best up there. The set was excellent and tight up to Blurred Girl, but we were slightly less impressed after that. Some of the blame for that lies with the sound mixing - it was hard to discern the tune on 030, Touch & Go and some of the encore. As usual there was plenty of impressive bass, rising to life-threatening levels on 21st Century! Anyway, a great night - Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
There was a 2 man support band,clearly miming (apart from vocals) but I couldn't quite make out what they were called.
They did add a little bit of guitar and keyboards over the backing track, but I know what you mean. They were called The VileEvils, and we thought they were pretty damn good.

#38535 10/06/07 11:13 PM
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
I was right at the front.Sounded mostly damn fine to me although I agree about 030.

#38536 10/07/07 09:18 AM
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are the best of my pictures:-

http://home2.btconnect.com/mateybloke/PhotoAlbums/album_1191747367/

BTW if anyone has a Panasonic Lumix FX100 compact camera,dont bother with the auto-iso feature unless you like grain eek

Enjoy laugh

#38537 10/07/07 10:03 AM
Thanks Brian for sharing your pics. Glad to hear that you had a good night.
Peter

#38538 10/07/07 11:08 AM
Sonic Shellshock in Darkest Digbeth!

Here’s my take on last night’s Metamatic gig in Birmingham..

Flippin’ ‘eck – my eardrums are SHATTERED!

Firstly, I just wanted to say that it was great to meet more of the Metamatic Crew in the pub beforehand, and then later in the venue itself.

Mmm, the venue.. well, it was dark, a tad on the dingy side, and small. But nevertheless at 8.00pm we all shuffled together to be sonically assaulted by the brutal electronic sounds of the vileevils, who are the remnants of Pop Will Eat Itself. Kicking straight in with almost Prodigy like beats and synth, coupled with the odd chord of electric guitar, they delivered 30 mins of brain-rattling tunes, which included a rather different version of Joy Division’s ‘She’s Lost Control’. The parting piece was a lovely little song entitled ‘Mother F**kin’ Demon’! Just plain evil from start to finish, but I loved it! In fact I woke up with the tune in my head this morning! Not totally well received by all, I must admit, but the vileevils performance was seemingly appreciated by several pogo-ing chaps, obviously enjoying the PWEI content in their set.

After a short break, and time to realign my brain after the immense vibrations of the support act, it was time to welcome the part of the evening that we had all been waiting for. I managed to scrabble my way to the front, after being surrounded by a hoard of tall men who had completely blocked my view. And that will never do. The lights dipped and on walked Louis Gordon, followed by John Foxx to much welcoming applause and cheers. And then, the show began. And boy, it began with a punch, the deep resounding synth vibrating right through me as John and Louis went into ‘Film One’. I noticed a couple of people had fingers wedged down their ears at various points in an attempt to prevent permanent damage. And the show continued, Louis giving it his usual hyper-jerky-jumping around treatment, making the synths scream delightfully, and belting out backing for John, who himself was delivering an excellent vocal throughout. I was surrounded by a few people who obviously knew and loved Metamatic and, like myself were happily joining in with the finger clicking hand gestures of ‘click, click, drone’ during ‘Underpass’, and the finger pointing of ‘Touch and Go’. John appeared to be enjoying himself, smiling intermittently and sucking in those trademark cheeks of his! The encore began with the gentle sound of ‘Glimmer’ and ended on the totally mind blowing, and incredibly loud ‘21st Century’ (as John now sings). Both Louis and John having a good old jump around whilst belting out this big tune bringing this fantastic show to an end.

The crowd cheered and applauded at a seemingly grateful John and Louis, and in the words of John himself, just before he left the stage, ‘That’s Metamatic’!

I really enjoyed the night, albeit there was a distinct lack of crowd atmosphere at certain points and it was far too loud, to the point of it being uncomfortable at times. It didn’t stop there either, the DJ cranked up the tunes straight after Metamatic had finished, and you couldn’t hear a word anyone was saying. I seem to remember Louis and I dancing around and singing to Madonna’s ‘Into the Groove’ and Prince’s ‘Raspberry Beret’, and then proceeding to play air and table synth to ‘Trapped’ by Colonel Abrahams.

Unfortunately, John didn’t do any signing after the show, much to the disappointment of some fans who had bought the new CD’s, but it really wasn’t the venue for meeting and greeting.

Still, to see Metamatic performed live is a special event in itself, and I hope that John and Louis are enjoying performing it as much as I have been enjoying the shows.

Next stop Cargo……

Sarah

laugh laugh laugh

#38539 10/07/07 11:39 AM
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Nice review Sarah,

Those pogoists were just behind me & kept on crashing into me & pushing me into the barrier at the front. frown

At the end of the 1st half I was pounding the metal floor trying to get the crowd worked up for the encore,it worked a bit in the end.

I have some footage of Louis bouncing around at the end of 21st Century that I will try & put up.

#38540 10/07/07 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:

unless you like grain eek
Actually Brian, the photos are quite good. Thanks for sharing.

#38541 10/07/07 11:57 AM
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Cheers Maryann

I lost quite a lot to blurring & grain.

I like the one of John on the 2nd page with a strange expression.The b/w ones you could only see any detail if I made them b/w.

#38542 10/07/07 12:09 PM
Hey, Brian - nice pics!

We also have some, but haven't sorted them them yet. Got a few 'before and after show' ones too.

Cheers!

Sarah laugh

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.