Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
OP Offline
H
I don't have a problem with the Edsel releases except perhaps that some of the artwork could have been a little better. Also, (and I am sure this has been discussed before) the distribution of the some of the extra tracks is a bit suspect.

I confess I don't understand why the other albums are to be re-released again ('Shifting City' notwithstanding) so soon after the Edsel versions. Mind you, I say 'so soon' - it must be at least five years since those releases.

Anyone want to challenge my contention that 'To Be With You' is a song and 'Cinemascope' is an instrumental?

H
OP Offline
H
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:

Re – ‘Shifting City’ re-master – I think there is a need for this as John’s fan-base is swelling all the time now that he’s busier than ever and second-hand copies go for silly money on places like Amazon and EBay;

I mean it’s a great album – but not at nearly £70!;
It goes for rather less than that on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHN-FOXX-SHIFTING...1QQcmdZViewItem

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Harold Halloway:
Anyone want to challenge my contention that 'To Be With You' is a song and 'Cinemascope' is an instrumental?
i would bet my two cents of the euro on that too ! ;-)

I don't have a problem either with the Edsel releases.
I wonder whether there'll be a noticeable difference between the two releases.

Peter smile

Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I don't have a problem either with the Edsel releases.
I wonder whether there'll be a noticeable difference between the two releases.

Peter smile
Hi Peter,

My problem with the Edsel re-issues is that, not a lot of thought or care seemed to go into them - the artwork is seriously bad - look at that photo of John slapped on the back of the beautiful artwork IMW for example - sacrilige! wink . If you compare, the re-issue of Systems of Romance to TGS you'll see the attention to detail that went into SOR; correct type, correct era photo's etc. Sound-wise I understand that they're not that great either - taken from the mastertape and not the original multi-tracks (I wouldn't know as I refuse to buy them!)

Ultimately, I'm still wondering why John had little/if any involvement in the Edsel re-issues.

Garry

My problems with the edsel releases is partly the artwork, too much orange on TGS makes it look like a tin of beans, and the photo that Garry stated on IMW. Plus some of the track times are listed wrong i think.
The real problems though are some of the tracks out of context from their era's. Also the extra tracks audio is considerably higher than the album on metamatic, and the last track which should not even be there, 'miles away' is far lower than anything.

Sister Ray have listed it as a new release for this week! eek

I was in there last night, and even though they get Foxx stuff as exclusives now and then - it's not the case here!

C
C
Quote:
Maybe it's the heat, but I've had a 'sneak' preview of the lyrics for 'Cinemascope', hear goes:

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

In this city
Waited by the Poster
For Leutenant 030
But he didn't show

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

Had his ticket
In my pocket
Gave it to a blurred girl
By a burning car

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Cinemascope

Almost missed the film
Waiting for 'No Show' 030
But there were two seats left
It was Touch and Go

Cinemascope
Cinemascope
Invisible Fireplaces
Parrot
Cheesecake
:p

Cheers

laugh

Well now we know why it stayed a raritie so long.

Administrator
Administrator
Nice work Craig!! cool

My only contribution to the vocal/instrumental debate would be to suggest that "To Be With You" doesn't seem like a particularly Metamatic kind of title and is not innkeeping with the album's rather anti-personal theme.

Hence its relegation to the subs bench all those years ago I suppose...

Can't wait to hear it laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.