Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hi everyone.

Here's John's latest myspace blog. I was drawn to the part that says 'possibly for the last time' when referring to his live music perfomance. I wonder if he's knocking the music on the head to progress with his other artistic talents? Hope not... frown

John Foxx - Metamatic Tour 2007

John Foxx's pioneering album Metamatic was described as 'visionary' by the Klaxons earlier this year and this will be a unique chance to hear all of it performed live, including the singles 'Underpass' and 'Burning Car' - the latter one of several single and B-side releases including in the show. Describing electronic music's origins as 'late 20th Century urban blues', Foxx has an ongoing and passionate 30 year relationship with drum machines and analogue synthesizers and he's putting together a stark, retro-future set for these shows.

This tour celebrates the release of a double-CD version of Metamatic (the original came out in 1980) on September 3, 2007, featuring some previously unreleased material. These dates also mean that John Foxx will perform cult classics such as '030', 'Tidal Wave', 'Mr No', 'A New Kind Of Man', 'Film One' and 'Blurred Girl' for the first (and possibly last) time in his career as he continues to move on into film-making, photography, art, graphics and spoken word extracts from his on-going book, The Quiet Man.

Tour Dates:
Fri, September 7, 2007 - Bestival, Isle Of Wight (www.bestival.net)

Sat, September 29 - ICA, London - adv £17.50 (please note this is a special show also featuring additional John Foxx films, music, projections and images which will run from early evening until late (www.ica.org.uk)

Thurs 4 October - Glasgow Barfly - adv £8.50 - 260 Clyde Street, Glasgow G1 4JH - £8.50

Fri 5 October - Manchester Academy - adv £12 - Manchester University Union, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PR

Sat 6 October - Birmingham Barfly - £8.50 - 78 Digbeth High Street, Birmingham, B56DY

Sun 7 October - Brighton Barfly - £8.50 The Gloucester, 27 Gloucester Place, Brighton BN1 4AA

I'm at the ICA and Brum Barfly gigs!

Sarah laugh

H
H
Hmm, no gig in Leeds or Sheffield this time. Looks like an overnighter in a B&B for me then.

Anyone know anywhere cheap to stay in Manchester or Brum city centres?

M
M
Oh Joy! Birmingham Barlfy here I come with The Quiet Trees.

The Birmingham Barlfy used to be a mental hospital, I think. The Quiet Trees knows more about it than I do - Over to you Steve!

It had a very eerie cold chill to it, when me & Quiet saw Rubicks there last year, even though the place was 75% full.

Spooky...

It does sound by what John as wrote, reading between the lines that this maybe the last tour and concentrate his skills on other things. I certainly hope that he continues to tour.

I'm at the ICA concert. Doubt though I'll get chance to see any of the other shows.

Peter

It would be sad if John do his last concerts this year - but I have to admit I have a feeling inside me this could be true since the last gig I stood in 2006...

This is the reason I come to the ICA and the T-shirt gig - I will not miss these special shows! Expensive or not - it doesn't matter for me!! John is worth the money - every time!!!

I REALLY HOPE JOHN GOES ON!!! smile

wink Shadowmandreas

T
T
This is indeed great news that it's going to be a whole Metamatica tour. And about £8.50 a ticket? John's shows are always such a steal, but I ain't complaining! I think a certain someone will be delighted to see that it looks like Mr No is going to be included too. smile

As for the Birmingham Barfly being a former mental hospital, I only found out about that when Rubicks' Vanessa Redd mentioned it in her blog after playing the venue last year. Before it was called The Barfly it was called The Institute though, so I guess the building's former use explains that name. It does have a cavernous, cold atmosphere that will really Suit the music and it's going to be quite a night, I'm sure. :p

I think you need to be careful how you read it.

"These dates also mean that John Foxx will perform cult classics such as '030', 'Tidal Wave', 'Mr No', 'A New Kind Of Man', 'Film One' and 'Blurred Girl' for the first (and possibly last)"

Doesn't it mean that he will be performing the rare tracks for the first & last time,not giving up touring & music?

B
B
Great news!!!

Does this mean Louis Gordon won't be along side John.....? Is it just a solo set?

C
C
September the 3rd. No need for a time machine anymore. Just let the days go by!

Fantastic !

Chris C laugh

Louis will be playing!! laugh

And! GLASGOW!!! laugh laugh
(Just watch out for the low beam this time Louis)

The Barfly is were I got this picture taken of me and John

C
C
Who's the thin bloke next to the guy from South Park?
Cheers smile

F
F
yay, John Foxx in Brighton!

Hmmm, i don't really need my ICA ticket now, though!

Administrator
Administrator
What!!! eek

Tis a different kind of event altogether....

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I take 'possibly for the last time' as referring to this tour being the last chance to see John perform the whole of the Metamatic album in full. I will be surprised if it means anything other than that.

Yes, 'possibly for the last time' was said in the context of THIS tour, I think if John planned to stop touring he would say so clearly.

F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
What!!! eek

Tis a different kind of event altogether....
But he's playing the same set at both gigs!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
he's playing the same set at both gigs!
nope ... i don't think so , if u read the following info carefully again , which clearly states that the ica show is indeed a SPECIAL show ! ;-)

source : http://www.metamatic.com/zNewsdocs/news200705.html

Saturday the 29th of September, 2007 : The ICA (Institute of Contemporary Arts), London
Address : The Mall, London SW1Y 5AH
Full details of how to get to The ICA are available on their website

This is going to be a very special John Foxx event - set to last SEVERAL HOURS! Further details will follow shortly, but I can confirm that both Metamatic and Tiny Colour Movies will be performed in their entirety during the event.

cheers ! :-)

F
F
Oh fair enough - I already say him do Tiny Colour Movies in Brighton though!

I am also a bit smarting from buying two sets of OMD tickets, once to see them in the Hammersmith Odeon last month doing a "special" gig where they'd play "all of the Architecture & Morality" album,
then last week in brighton doing a "Best of" set...
...and they played the exact same set, song for song, in both of them!
Not going through that again!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Not going through that again!
i think that u won't in this case ! ;-)

btw : o.m.d. played a different set list ... but ONLY @ certain gigs like in athens , berlin , hannover , leipzig , munich , mainz & most likely also in vienna & the other festival dates this month too , but NOT during their european tour in may & the u.k. tour in june !
but the standard set list was better than the "special" set list , if u ask me , because i prefer to hear "sealand" , "georgia" & "the new stone age" anytime over "dreaming" & "dream of me" instead ! ;-)

F
F
With his recent work getting received that well i doubt it will be a total stop...
Still don't know which show i will attend :rolleyes:
September...November...or both laugh

greetings,
fons

F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:

btw : o.m.d. played a different set list ... but ONLY @ certain gigs like in athens , berlin , hannover , leipzig , munich , mainz & most likely also in vienna & the other festival dates this month too , but NOT during their european tour in may & the u.k. tour in june !
but the standard set list was better than the "special" set list , if u ask me , because i prefer to hear "sealand" , "georgia" & "the new stone age" anytime over "dreaming" & "dream of me" instead ! ;-)
Well definately I prefer "Sealand", "A&M", "Beginning and the End", "Georgia" and "The NEw Stone Age" than drivel like "Dreaming" or the 1990s material.....
....the point is, they advertised the concerts as being different. But then played the same sets. Naughty.
When I asked about it on the "official OMD message board", they locked the thread and banned me! Hmpf!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
the point is, they advertised the concerts as being different. But then played the same sets.
the advertising of the gigs & the public relations in general for o.m.d. was ( & still is - somehow ) something that's badly done by "the powers that be" in a lot of cases ... & i've made some very unpleasant experiences with "certain people" of the o.m.d. "in-crowd" in the past too & i'm quite happy that i've moved on by now & don't have much - if anything ! - to do with them anymore !

'nuff said about that here now ! *sigh*

well ... i think that it's time to get back on topic again ! ;-)

Quote:
When I asked about it on the "official OMD message board", they locked the thread and banned me! Hmpf!
Sounds like that is a beautiful place with glad loyal fans and forbidden critical comments.

GREAT! confused

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
forbidden critical comments.
yep ... because "critical comments" are only made by newbies & "moaners" , as a certain well known "moderator" & co-admin there once & for all made clear without a doubt ! *sigh*

what a "perfect world" he & some others live in there ! :-o

i would be bored in such a world & so i'm really happy to be here with y' all ! :-)

happy "foxx hunting" , fellows ! *hehehe*

cheers ! :-)

F
F
btw...i videotaped the whole Utrecht OMD gig laugh

F
F
Frankly, the people running that OMD site seem to me have psychological problems.

Andy McCluskey himself occasionally chips in and seems to have a more "balanced" attitude, but generally you just couldn't say ANYTHING on there that wasn't "OMG OMD LOL SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!", without a chorus of baying sycophants giving you a load of personal abuse and calling you a "moaner" and "never happy" and "some people just always have to find something to complain about" etc etc

Thank goodness this John Foxx forum is a rational balanced place where we can all natter away freely about John's work and what we think of it, without getting our heads bitten off if we say we don't like "In Mysterious Ways" smile

Quote:
Thank goodness this John Foxx forum is a rational balanced place where we can all natter away freely about John's work and what we think of it, without getting our heads bitten off if we say we don't like "In Mysterious Ways" smile
Feline - you're banned! I can't ban you - but I'm doing it anyway! 'In Mysterious Ways' is a heartbreaking work of staggering genius...er, um...and so is the Nation 12 album - surrender your passport immediately at the nearest police station! laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
generally you just couldn't say ANYTHING on there that wasn't "OMG OMD LOL SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" ...
guess what ?
your line "SQUEEEEEE ! OMG OMD ARE SO BRILL !!" has by now even become a signature of somebody "over there" , which makes u immortal , as i suppose ! *lol*

anyway ... i only use that place ( the forum ) to have a *lol* sometimes about how rather weird some "fans" can actually get - incl. that o.m.d. "in-crowd" , of course ! ;-o

andy & the rest of the band are all top blokes & very friendly people indeed & it was a great pleasure to see them live & also talk to them ! :-)

btw : who's this john foxx guy that some people mention over here , eh ? *hehehe*

;-)

F
F
I think I'm more likely to get banned for saying I really LIKE some bits of 'In Mysterious Ways' laugh

I hear Martins got a six months prison sentence then. wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
I hear Martins got a six months prison sentence then. wink
do u mean martin "birdsong" or martin cooper of o.m.d. ? *lol*

;-)

laugh

H
H
If you think OMD fans are a bunch of sycophantic weirdos, try saying anything negative on the forum at http://www.deadoralive.net/index.html.

I like Dead Or Alive's music in a kind of kitsch way, but ever since Pete Burns decided to turn himself into a combination of a plastic circus clown and the elephant man, it's amazing the amount of nutters who've latched on to him and his website!

F
F
Amen... laugh
But whats a band without making music i ask myself with regards to DoA...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in my honest opinion , pete burns of doa is the perfect candidate for a rather trashy remake of "the rocky horror picture show" ! ;-o

however ... how on earth do we get the drift back to the actual topic here now , fellows !? ;-o

any ideas ?

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
in my honest opinion , pete burns of doa is the perfect candidate for a rather trashy remake of "the rocky horror picture show" ! ;-o

however ... how on earth do we get the drift back to the actual topic here now , fellows !? ;-o

any ideas ?
I guess mentioning Pete Burns will remind us that BLURRED GIRL will be performed at the Metamatic shows.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah ... that's jus' "purr"fect , donald ! :-)

thanx for that & cheers to u ! :-)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well ... after i found out jus' today that thomas dolby has changed some of his u.k. tour dates - incl. the one in brum to which i wanted to go - i sadly can't spend a "holiday in brum" in oct. anymore , as both - td & john / louis - play on the 06th of oct. in birmingham now ! *sigh*

however ... i can still try to arrange something for manchester ( foxx & gordon on the 05th of oct. & td on the 07th ) now ! *phew*

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.