Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
just press STOP on your CD player when it gets to the end of Touch And Go if you don't want to hear any more B-sides!
And if you don't want any B-sides at all, don't buy the new CD! Just keep listening to the old one.
Easy smile
Exact my opinion,too! wink

H
H
So, the release date is now confirmed as 3rd September.
Wonder if there'll be a slightly more high profile advertising campaign for this one; if ever John wanted to bring his music to a wider, younger audience, surely this would be the ideal opportunity?

How long before the 'pre-sale' by Amazon etc. etc.? .. or pre-order or whatever you call it.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
if ever John wanted to bring his music to a wider, younger audience, surely this would be the ideal opportunity?
I would have thought so as well.

I have gone on (and on and on...) about this before but LET'S HAVE A SINGLE!!!
Go on, I dare you.

This is THE album that non-Foxx fans will relate to and seems (to me at least) a golden opportunity to bring his work back into the spotlight.
I know that's not the point of it, and with John moving into 'other media' it isn't something that may seem to have much future, but if it can be tied in with a new demand for backcat and existing material, then there is still commission on sales to consider which might make a few bob.
John has never been a 'commercial' artist in that sense, but he holds all the arrows now and could, I think, call the shots in terms of marketing, PR and all that.

So...

Is this the time for a single?
How about A New Kind Of Man, at last, as a lead track, carrying Underpass and maybe a new remixxed/21st century John and Louis version of something else.
Or a kick-ass version of Burning Car, with Underpass/No-one Driving in their original format?

Heaven forbid, it might even get, dare I say it (cough) airtime??

See - I said I could go on about it. laugh

7" vinyl is a trendy new format.
Lead the way John, you always have before.
I don't think this would be a step backwards at all cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I just can’t see him retiring from live work just yet –or maybe I just don’t want him too! Although considering the activity of the last year or so, he could probably do with a holiday!

According to the MySpace site, the entire back catalogue is being re-issued, he’s releasing a series of new electronic albums, there’s the collaborations with Vincent Gallo, Robin Guthrie and Perspects (?) – so perhaps he could do with some time off!

Wouldn’t want him to give up performing completely though – perhaps one-off events every now and then would be the thing to do.

It would be great to have a single out there Martin, but wasn’t that what the Drive EP was? As much as I’d love to own a new shiny disc of Foxx vinyl, I still believe the best way of reaching a new audience would be through downloads (itunes) etc.

The itunes edition of the Chemical Brothers new album features 2 tracks only available via itunes – a marketing trick like this would be simple and effective on say, a Foxx EP only available via download.

I agree with you Martin. Lets have a single and I like your choices of classic John Foxx tracks on it.

If heaven forbid what tracks would be chosen if a 7" vinyl single was to be released. Both new and old versions of Underpass??/ eek

Not a lover of getting something off of iTunes. I love to hold music in my hands, that is a real CD/vinyl with a real case/cover. I'm just old fashioned I guess. cool

Peter

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
The itunes edition of the Chemical Brothers new album features 2 tracks only available via itunes – a marketing trick like this would be simple and effective on say, a Foxx EP only available via download.
fyi : that special ( limited ? ) edition of "we are the night" by the chemical brothers is also available as a japan import cd ( http://www.discogs.com/release/1003462 ) ! :-)

anyway ... i like martin's idea of a single as much as garry's idea of an exclusive download edition ... but would combine them like this :
a double-7" vinyl single as a "special collectors edition" with 4 trax on it , which will also be available as a download item via itunes & the likes then - but NO inferior cd release ! ;-)
so all of us good ol' fashioned vinyl freax will get a "real" format with great cover artwork etc. for our record collections ... & john's new fans can get the stuff as a download too ! :-)

btw : my selection of 4 "metamatic" ( era ) songs would be a bit different , as i would like to have the usual hits "underpass" & "burning car" backed with "plaza" & "metal beat" maybe ! ;-)

All I’m saying is, considering the activity over the next few months; Back Catalogue / New Catalogue / Festivals and live shows, I just think that for reaching a new audience then downloads is probably the fastest, easiest way to do it.

It’s not unknown for people to download songs or even entire albums whilst actually at a festival / gig – watching the band they’re downloading! The White Stripes know – despite their love of vinyl and making their entire output available on vinyl, most of their fans chose to download the album, and Apple noted surges in White Stripes downloads coincided with the time of their live performances. I’m not saying I agree with this*, I just point this out because John’s Bestival appearance could help considerably towards making more people aware of his music. Any newcomer impressed by what they’ve seen may want to download the originals there and then – it would be good for John if the opportunity was there for them to do so.

Garry

*I was at the Musee d’Orsay last year, getting lost among works by Chagall, Monet and Van Gogh. A sea of school children went by ‘Starry Night’– each of them took a photo of it on their mobile phones and carried on walking past, not stopping to look at the painting itself. I’ve never understood this, I never will.

Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Not a lover of getting something off of iTunes. I love to hold music in my hands, that is a real CD/vinyl with a real case/cover. I'm just old fashioned I guess. cool

Peter
Me too! laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
anyway ... i like martin's idea of a single as much as garry's idea of an exclusive download edition ... but would combine them like this :
a double-7" vinyl single as a "special collectors edition" with 4 trax on it , which will also be available as a download item via itunes & the likes then - but NO inferior cd release ! ;-)
so all of us good ol' fashioned vinyl freax will get a "real" format with great cover artwork etc. for our record collections ... & john's new fans can get the stuff as a download too ! :-)
A nice idea Olaf! smile

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.