Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#37386 03/26/07 06:55 AM
sam.vox Offline OP
OP Offline
Much as I would love to go to this and hear not only CO, but Metamatic on one day, I am afraid that £115 for a ticket is a bit much for me. frown The price seems even more unjustifiable especially when there is not one other band on the bill I would want to see.

Looking at the official site it looks as if you have to buy a three day ticket and that single day tickets will not be available.

Will John be playing Metamatic elsewhere, as we have all been looking forward to this for so long?

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by sam.vox:
Will John be playing Metamatic elsewhere, as we have all been looking forward to this for so long?
I understand that John and Louis will be performing Metamatic elsewhere - but I have no definite details at this time...

Rob

The price doesn't surprise me as it is a festival - the downside being if you want to see one act, you have still have to pay full price etc.

Not that I can make it to the IOW anyway.

I wonder if I can persuade John to come back to the Sheffield Leadmill to play Metamatic... wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
uhm ... i may have missed an important bit of info here , but about which festival / concert of john & louis are u talking here , fellows ? :-o

the one in sweden ?

http://www.bestival.net/

A festival on the Isle of Wight

Administrator
Administrator
Great to see John on the same bill as The Orb and The Chemical Brothers - otherwise he's probably the biggest name appearing.
Such is the extent of his underground influence.

The pricing thing is nonsense, but by hook or by crook I'll be there.

On a sunny day, I can see 'the island' from my office window cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Trust john to pick the only weekend that I've already booked up. Mind you at £115 it would have been way beyond my means and that's before the train fare and hotel fees.

I'm hoping he'll do the Metamatic set as one off concert.

The one thing that makes me feel sad is that I'll miss him doing a Blurred Girl live one of my favourite songs that as a hidden meaning for me.
Regards
Peter

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
http://www.bestival.net/

A festival on the Isle of Wight
thanx for the link & info , alex ! :-)

i must admit that i haven't heard anything about that festival before ! :-o

it's also a bit strange that not even john's myspace site has listed & confirmed that info so far - so let's see , if he'll really play there ... or not ( remember the italian gig disaster last year ) ! :-o

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Mind you at £115 it would have been way beyond my means and that's before the train fare and hotel fees.
Although £115.00 is a lot of money - it's quite standard for a festival. The ticket price for the All Tomorrow's Party festival a few years ago was more than double - but that (at least) did include the accomodation.

Quote:
I'm hoping he'll do the Metamatic set as one off concert.
Yes he will - more details to follow just as soon as they've been confirmed... wink

Quote:
The one thing that makes me feel sad is that I'll miss him doing a Blurred Girl live one of my favourite songs that as a hidden meaning for me.
Better make sure that Blurred Girl is voted for as one of the tracks you want to hear at the "T-Shirt" gig at the end of the year... wink

Rob

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
it's also a bit strange that not even john's myspace site has listed & confirmed that info so far - so let's see , if he'll really play there ... or not ( remember the italian gig disaster last year ) ! :-o
It's entirely possible (and probable) that Steve hasn't had the opportunity to update John's MySpace page yet - just because it's not listed there doesn't mean that it's not going to happen. Moreover, I haven't had the chance to update the Metamatic Website either, but last night I was able to send out as much information regarding this event as I had available to everyione on the Metamatic News E-Mailing list. That included a link to the Bestival Website where John's name is clearly listed among the artists who are scheduled to appear. I wouldn't have done this unless I had been advised that the information was correct.

Rob

As much as I would love to be there - It's too expensive for me all in all together!

But it's good they play on Festivals.

I'm looking forward to the T-shirt gig at the end of the year. wink

...AND WOULD BE GREAT TO LISTEN TO BLURRED GIRL... laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Although £115.00 is a lot of money - it's quite standard for a festival.
Still £115.00 is £115.00, and I suspect most people will only want to see John and Louis frown
I agree though, for a whole weekend event the price is not so bad. There are other good acts on too!!

The difficulty with this is that the Isle of Wight is one of the most expensive places to get to.
A ferry from Southampton will cost upwards of £40 with a car, (£55 from Portsmouth) and on foot for the day it will be at least £10.
Accommodation is another problem...

Some coordination between us will be required.

I am very, very fortunate that this is on my doorstep. laugh
And in fact the venue is probably only an hour walk from the ferry in Cowes.

And Robin Hill has red squirrels. cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
It's good to see John playing a festival. Something like this will surely win him new fans, young and old - including people who have gone there to watch acts that he inspired!

I agree with you Alex
Although most fans on this forum would find the Bestival too expensive there are those who love these weekend parties and I'm sure John will win over a few more fans and hearts.

Regards
Peter

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
It's entirely possible (and probable) that Steve hasn't had the opportunity to update John's MySpace page yet
of course that's also a possibility , but "somebody" was logged in there yesterday & also today - either steve or john himself ! ;-)

still no news concerning the "bestival" gig(s) over there by now ! :-o

anyway ... i trust u , rob , that the info about john playing @ that festival is indeed true & correct - however ! :-)

Really looking forward to hearing more about when and where the Metamatic set will be performed - as Bestival is well beyond my means.

mongrel

L
L
There's some really interesting people and bands set to play on the bill (noticed that Jah Wobble and 'SKA Cubano' are also there over the weekend) - it might just be the festival to go to...

How about it EG?

smile

LG
x

Administrator
Administrator
I'm making my plans to get to this gig.

Just thought I'd pass on to anyone else interested that the LAST BOAT back to Southampton on Friday night is at 10.30pm as far as I can see.
This could be a source of some inconvenience...

C
C
Whay -Hayy!!!! Got my Bestival tickets booked! got my fe-rry! got my te-ent! got my ter-ansport! can't afford to eat for a year but I don't care!!! Isle of Wight here we come!!!!!!
Cheers
P.S I'm a bit excited! laugh

just to point out that Metamatic is due to be played at the ICA gig,no price for ticks as yet though

Administrator
Administrator
OK, so I'm NOT now going to this gig-on-the-doorstep.
Too, too complicated. frown

However, should anyone be passing through So'ton on their way across the water, I would be delighted to meet up.
Let me know nearer the time and I'll come and crash the party cool

C
C
Hi Martin,
It's a shame you're not going to Bestival, was only talking to Peter yesterday about catching up,
Cheers frown

Administrator
Administrator
The time is fast approaching.

As I said, I am sadly not able to attend the Bestival. But should anyone be passing through Southampton either There or
Back Again, I would be keen to meet up.

Perhaps we could exhange some orgonic plasma via an automotive dust-alignment motion transfer and thereby precipitate an pseudo-aural interaction...?

Email me if you fancy a meet up somewhere

Administrator
Administrator
Looking again at not only the line-up for Bestival, but the track listing for the "A-Z of Bestival" 2CD.

It's fascinating that John Foxx should be there at all. A mark of much respect I think to his massively influential role in contemporary 'underground' music. Quite something to appear on the same bill as The Chemical Brothers. I remember seeing an interview with Foxx somewhere when he refers to them with dutiful reverence…

Some years ago now, I think.

Should be quite a weekend. Have fun, everyone, and bring us back lots of great anecdotes. cool

....and spare a thought (and some cash?) for the brave and hardy souls who are swimming to Bestival: http://www.bestival.net/html/news/268/

Thinking of all those references to water, oceans and swimming in JF's repertoire.

And of course some very worthy charities represented.

mongrel

Quote:
Originally posted by L. G. Ekin:
There's some really interesting people and bands set to play on the bill (noticed that Jah Wobble and 'SKA Cubano' are also there over the weekend) - it might just be the festival to go to...

How about it EG?

smile

LG
x
Why not LG. Why not indeed...

smile

Good job I got the tickets when I did a while back - and the ferries booked given how busy the companies are planning to be that weekend.

See you there!

smile

EG

C
C
Just printed oof the line up for Bestival and it lists John for Friday, playing Metamatic, but nothing about Cathedral Oceans. Has this performance been pulled? Any info anyone?
Cheers

Hi Craig and anyone else going to the Bestival have a great time. At least the weather looks good and you won't be camping in muddy fields. eek

Looking forward to hearing any reports posted here after the event. smile

Peter

Administrator
Administrator
Absolutely right.
The new compilation album illustrates this too

GLIMMER

I could write an essay on this most incredible tune!!
Listening to it now in this context where at first it seems out of place (you'd kind of think one of John and Louis' more upbeat tunes would fit in better at first…) it fits so PERFECTLY.

Now convince me its 27 years old??? eek eek
Amazing

Clever choice to promote the new album too as it contains lots of themes present in John's more recent work.

I've said before that I think John is "Coming into Focus" now, and this is further proof of that.
Roll on ICA and the tour.

I'm tempted now to SWIM to the bl**dy island on the weekend eek

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
Just printed oof the line up for Bestival and it lists John for Friday, playing Metamatic, but nothing about Cathedral Oceans. Has this performance been pulled? Any info anyone?
Cheers
Craig

John is supposed to be playing Cathedral Oceans sometime on Saturday evening. It is weather dependent as it should be outdoors.
If you are going I'll give you the info there.
I'll be on the lighting desk for John's set on Friday.

Best
Chris

The Archive
The Archive
Just back from the Bestival - thought you'd all like to see a few pics...

The set list for John and Louis' show on the Friday night was as follow...

01. 21st Century
02. This City
03. Plaza
04. Metal beat
05. He's a Liquid
06. Underpass
07. No-One Driving
08. A New Kind of Man
09. My Face
10. Touch and Go
11. The Man Who Dies Every Day
12. Slow Motion

And on the Saturday night - John played all of Cathedral Oceans III...

An absolutely superb festival...

More pics to follow... laugh

Rob

Hi Rob
Glad to hear that you had a good time and the weather must of been perfect.

My Face and a New Kind Of Man live those I'd loved to hear performed live.

Thank you for sharing the pic's Rob and looking forward to seeing the rest.

regards

Peter smile

Very interesting setlist... and Rob, that COIII photo is just exquisite!

There's a news article about the festival at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6987218.stm but sadly not a mention of our John :-(

The Beeb have let us down especially with John performing twice. frown

Peter

T
T
My Face! Now that's a yellow flexitastic surprise. :p

Thanks Rob.

Look forward to more pics. laugh

Wish I could have been there! frown

21st Century? Is that a typo or has John moved into the current century? wink

All the best

Sarah laugh

Well as long as he doesn't revert to 19th Century....

...although 22nd might be interesting...

Could be very interesting.... laugh

Sarah laugh

The first time I heard John sing 21st Century was at Bielefeld in Germany and he has sung 21st Century on several other occasions.

Peter smile

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
Thanks Rob. Look forward to more pics. laugh
No problem - I'll try and get some more pics up soon... laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
21st Century? Is that a typo or has John moved into the current century? wink
No, definitely not a typo - that's how John sang it! wink

Rob

Yup,Heard him sing 21st also.
Cant wait till the ICA gig now,that set list looks great!!
Thanks for posting the pics Rob

Yup. I confirm the "21st Century" upgrade as also performed in Italy in April In fact John told me "yeah, I moved it up a 100 years" or something like that... genius.

Thanks Rob for the setlist - more pics and general review please!

Woah! You go away for a day or two and look what happens!

Great pics! Great set-list; 'My Face'!? Really!!? Wow!

I've heard him do '21st Century' (once, I think) - I always found it funnier when he didn't update it though - dunno why.

COIII Live! Wow! So, when's that out then? wink

C
C
Bestival was amazing, John's two performances were both outstanding, the setting for CO3 was in a small clearing/glade in the woods - the prefect environment. I didn't hold out any hope for John being shown on the telly, considering the amount of acts available (we mustn't forget we're in the minority). Will try to post a longer description with some pics later but for now I'd like to say thanks to all the guys involved in John's performances for making them happen. Chris, sorry I didn't read your post before I left for IOW, but nice to meet you.
Cheers

Hi Craig
Sounds like you had a great time. I bet CO live was awesome. It's hard to imagine what it was like hearing it in the open air as opposed to the Church at Leeds last year. I guess each performance had it's own uniqueness and you where one of the lucky few to witness both.

Can wait for the ICA on the 29th.

Peter smile

Great pics, and 'My Face' live. smile

The product and promotion man beside me hopes for a live version on some future officially released gig.

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Great pics, and 'My Face' live. smile

he could've ud-dated that one too to 'My Space' ... (or even My Face-book)) ...

I know..I don't get out enough :rolleyes:

So pleased you had a great time, Craig!

Pics please! laugh

Best

Sarah laugh

Great set list and nice photos!
Thank you Rob!!

Nice to hear you had a great time Craig. Looking forward to your report!!! smile

Not long time to wait for ICA now... wink

T
T
In a rare receptive mood I have enjoyed Cathedral Oceans I in its entirety, but I normally enjoy it only for two or three tracks and then begin to grow bored of it. So I have never bothered to get to hear the two follow ups. However, it must have been a magical experience to see Cathedral Oceans III performed in a glade/clearing with the images projected as a backdrop. I think that would have put a whole new perspective on the music for me and I really wish I could have been there.

Administrator
Administrator
I'd suggest that CO3 is the best of the trilogy and seems to be the culmination of the idea. Its consideraby more varied and has more vocal tracks than CO1 - up there among John's Top 3 best albums.

CO2 is the darkest and most 'different' piece, but none the woerse for that

My opinion is that CO1 was the best and and for that reason released first. By the third, CO3 the veriation was only for the purpose of not repeating the best or second. I agree that CO2 is the darkest of the three.

C
C
Thanks Rob for the pics and tracklisting.

One question, did John and Louis perform A New Kind Of Man as in the single version?

Cheers!
Chris wink

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Thanks Rob for the pics and tracklisting.
No problem... wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
One question, did John and Louis perform A New Kind Of Man as in the single version?
No, it was the album version - least ways, that's what it sounded like to me... wink

Rob

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.