Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll just cover off what's new.

The new booklets are lovely.Nice to see all of the lyrics.Nice job Rob & all.

Sideways Disc 2
Cargo 2008 Live tracks

I was there so its nice to finally hear excellent sounding versions of these tracks.Remembering that I had some HD video of quite a lot of the show with very badly distorted sound,now I can watch my videos with John & Louis (and Steve D'As) audio.

Young Savage and Dislocation sound better than I remember them.

My stand out favourite from the Cargo set is The Garden.

Haunted

Drum machine and treated Piano ambience intro lead into other wordly Foxx vocals yes we have a song.

Crash and Burn Disc 2
Labywrinth Generarator

Slow smoky ambienty instrumental.

Storm Warning

This instrumental sounds very Peter Gabriel in parts,could have come off The Last Temptation CD.

Broadway Submarine

This is quite an experimental instrumental

Nottingham 2003 Live tracks

Pretty good both of them.

One thing of note is that Invisible Women V2 is sung live over the Sex Video backing track.This confused me at first.I thought the sleeve notes were wrong.

Overall great packages,improvements over the original,worth having.

I've yet to to give the first discs a spin but I will tomorrow.

Brian

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:

One thing of note is that Invisible Women V2 is sung live over the Sex Video backing track.This confused me at first.I thought the sleeve notes were wrong.

Brian
Thanks for this note Brian. Do you know, I have two or three bootlegs of this tour (not the Nottingham gig) and I never noticed that before. eek
Every setlist I've seen shows Invisible Women followed by Sex Video and doesn't acknowledge that this is in fact Invisible Women 2 - a completely 'new' track

Something of a rarity, so it's really good to get a version of this track out on official release.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
I have none of the bootlegs from 2003 and didn't see a live show until Coventry 2006 so its new to me.

Anyway thinking about it shouldn't it be Invisible Women 3?

First was on the Nation 12 album,second on The Pleasures of Electricity.

Thanks for the review, Brian.

You gave all the information I was after while deciding whether to order the CD.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
I have none of the bootlegs from 2003 and didn't see a live show until Coventry 2006 so its new to me.

A very good point - but there is a little bit of logic in the way it's been named. As you rightly say, the first version of Invisible Women to be released (in 2001) was on The Pleasures Of Electricity. An 'earlier' version (also called Invisible Woman) appeared on the 2005 Nation 12 album Electrofear.

It wouldn't have been right to have appended the 'earlier' version of Invisible Woman (as it appeared on Electrofear) with a 2. And so to distinguish the version which appears on the new version of Crash And Burn - as it is very different to either of the other two versions - we decided that it should be appended with V2 in the same way that we had done with Car Crash Flashback on Sideways.

Rob

Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Quote:
[b] I have none of the bootlegs from 2003 and didn't see a live show until Coventry 2006 so its new to me.

A very good point - but there is a little bit of logic in the way it's been named. As you rightly say, the first version of Invisible Women to be released (in 2001) was on The Pleasures Of Electricity. An 'earlier' version (also called Invisible Woman) appeared on the 2005 Nation 12 album Electrofear.

It wouldn't have been right to have appended the 'earlier' version of Invisible Woman (as it appeared on Electrofear) with a 2. And so to distinguish the version which appears on the new version of Crash And Burn - as it is very different to either of the other two versions - we decided that it should be appended with V2 in the same way that we had done with Car Crash Flashback on Sideways.

Rob [/b]
Cheers for the explanation Rob,it was an unexpected treat to hear it.

Administrator
Administrator
(Off topic aside):
Thanks for the note Rob. It's quite hazy logic...
There's two different mixes on Electrofear,and a TPOE 2009 'new' version

Imagine trying to classify these versions into some kind of archive!!**$$??
Such nonsense would be more or less Impossible
wink

Yes, cheers for the reviews Brian. Look forward to hearing these tracks even more now. smile

(On my Christmas list, luv, see the sucker on the fridge door...)

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
F
F
Do the Cargo tracks include a bizarre half hour interlude where John says "Good night" in the middle of the set, (rushes off to backstage to the loo?), and then comes on and plays just as many songs as before he said goodnight?

Many thanks Brian!

Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Cheers Garry,

Currently listening to the side 1s

Sideways to me sounds louder,percussion more in your face.

The laughter at the start of And the World Slides Sideways jumped out at me.

Could just be just my rusty Klaxon bashed ears though laugh

I swapped back and fourth between old and new using Underwater as a test track.

I'm not going to even going to use the R word but Sideways sounds clearer to me.

Anyone else had a listen to their side 1s yet?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.