Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#36946 01/14/08 03:47 PM
I got this originally and I have to say...that if you've got the full 'Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour CD', then it's not worth paying high prices for this - even if it has 'Dislocation' on it.

Here's hoping that when the future re-issue of 'Shifting City' arrives, these tracks are made available either as part of a 2CD set or for download as the prices on EBay are just stupid and don't go to the artist blah blah blah (insert 'argument for astronmical prices on EBay/this should be made available as a download/CD/Edison Wax Cylinder' here)

#36947 01/14/08 04:21 PM
I guess if you have the full CD reissue, there's no point in bidding on one of those. I decided against it when I realised in all honesty, I'd be paying a tenner or so just for the sleeve. I'm not that much of a completist!

#36948 01/14/08 07:55 PM
Hi
I did put a bid in at the last moment for £20 which was the most I was willing to pay but it went for £21. frown

Peter

#36949 01/14/08 09:38 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I don't have either of these to hand, so excuse my ignorance.

How come we refer to this as "Exotour 97" (leaving out the Subterranean... bit) despite what it says on the cover?

confused

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#36950 01/15/08 09:16 AM
MikeG Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong
How come we refer to this as "Exotour 97" (leaving out the Subterranean... bit) despite what it says on the cover?
That was just my laziness when I started the thread (I don't have a copy of the tour CDs either)

Mike.

#36951 01/15/08 10:08 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Fairy nuff Mike, but I thought that was the general way of it with these two discs anyway re: Discographies etc?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#36952 01/15/08 11:10 AM
H
H
Something I have always wondered and I am sure someone can clarify things for me:

There are three releases:
Exotour 97 5 tracks ltd to 1000
Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour 12 tracks ltd to 500
Omnidelic Exotour 13 tracks as part of the live two-disc release w/ the Golden Section live.

The first are separate and distinct recordings? The latter two releases are effectively the same except that the latter one contains an additional track, Dislocation? Am I right?

#36953 01/15/08 11:26 AM
Right - this should sort it!

Exotour 97 5 tracks ltd to 1000
5 tracks including ‘Dislocation’

Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour 12 tracks ltd to 500
No ‘Dislocation’ but the rest of the rehearsal session. From memory, both discs are from the same rehearsal session.

Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour/The Golden Section Tour
SOE disc is now a 13 track edition with ‘Dislocation’ re-attached*

Rob has put a wonderful discography on this site and you can check the formats here;
http://www.metamatic.com/zDiscdocs03/meta0003cd.html
Exotour 97

here; http://www.metamatic.com/zDiscdocs03/meta0004cd.html
Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour

and here; http://www.metamatic.com/zDiscdocs03/medcd725.html
Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour/The Golden Section Tour

(* My copy is in Sheffield so in earlier posts I assumed it was the same as the original 12 track edition, but no! Checking Rob’s discography pages, The Edsel edition has ‘Dislocation’ on it! Rendering the Exotour CD 97 redundant)

#36954 01/15/08 02:21 PM
Administrator
Administrator
You're absolutely right Garry etc, and I agree that the Discography here at metamatic is definitve etc...

I was just asking if anyone knew perhaps WHY the naming was done that way?

Are the common tracks actually the SAME on both releases?

And being really pedantic, note that the word 'Subterranean' is NOT used on the Golden Section double pack issue.

So, as Halloway says, we have "Exotour", "Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour" and "The Omnidelic Exotour"

Such is the way of things... :rolleyes:

#36955 01/15/08 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
...I was just asking if anyone knew perhaps WHY the naming was done that way?

Are the common tracks actually the SAME on both releases?

Such is the way of things... :rolleyes:
Hi Martin,

I wonder if it's because they couldn't account for just how successful the first tour was going to be, and the early sell-out of the original numbered 5-track CD perhaps took them by suprise. If that was the case, I'd guess that when it came to 1998 it made more sense to release a full-length CD.

I think they are all from the same sessions, yes - It would make sense at the mastering stage to master all the tracks at the same time, rather than doing 5 and then going back and doing it all again for the 12 track edition.

I just can't understand why they left 'Dislocation' off the second edition - clearly there was space for it - perhaps it was so that the original 5 track edition retained some uniqueness in comparison?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.