Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36632 04/05/11 09:20 AM
H
OP Offline
H
For some time now I've been wondering why the Interplay CD cover looked strangely familiar even the first time I saw it.

Then, earlier today, I was online investigating whether or not it's worth me getting a Freesat box for my house, and when I saw the Freesat logo it all fell into place.

What do you think? Coincidence, or was one design inspired by the other and if so which one?

Interesting!
cool

Blimey!!!

B
B
hadn’t seen the freesat thing until sent the link to the thread just now. i can assure you that i don’t copy anybody's work especially not a logo for freesat : / i also think that both have completely different atmosphere's within them.

the venn diagram used for interplay is an intentionally generic idea which communicates the idea of elements coming together to make something new. so not surprising that someone else has used a similar concept, designers use symbols that we all easily understand to communicate such things to an audience.

the colours: basic colour mixing that you will see in many old science or art books of what happens when you mix primary light, printing colours etc

so both on initial examination similar, but both in different areas of life and different expressions of an idea which has general currency, so not really worried about it.

Absolutely, it's purely a coincidence, both being based around the old scientific colour spectrum diagrams. There will be other instances I'm sure; it's a diagram that's gone through the ages and still works every time.

Have to say though Interplay works better largely thanks to the yellow which really makes it stand out.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by barnbrook:
the venn diagram used for interplay is an intentionally generic idea which communicates the idea of elements coming together to make something new
Absolutely here too, and a great symbol for this fantastic album.

Seems to me that the freesat image is doing exactly the opposite with its elements coming apart. Best avoid freesat Herbert if I were you
laugh

Yes, the elements on Interplay are held together nice and tight - just like the album.

As you say, the Freesat logo is falling apart, which to me represents the regular loss of channels, interruptions and 'clicks' in the audio!

I like the abstract of the logo on the Facebook event page for the Galsgow show. The addition of the "You are here" arrow and dot adds so much. OK, I know that isn't what it means, but how else do I explain it?? wink

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=175577839172035

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.