Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
#36475 01/26/11 10:26 AM
The packaging ploy worked for me too. "Shatterproof" sounds excellent.

#36476 01/26/11 12:37 PM
Personally, I don't agree with special packaging for first come first served, or even pay more, get different...but that's just me.
Just looking forward to the music.

#36477 01/26/11 01:10 PM
I don't particularly agree with not having a choice of where I can pre-order the album from, and was quite happy to wait a while longer until this persuasive bit of timely information came along...

However, as a designer, I'm interested in the packaging from the design to the finish, especially since I was impressed with Johnathan Barnbrook's work on David Bowie's Heathen and Reality albums. It's an extension of both the design and the music and therefore overall album experience.

#36478 01/28/11 09:44 PM
C
C
Its now available to pre-order on Cargo Records:

http://www.cargorecords.co.uk/release/15007

#36479 01/29/11 05:29 PM
C
C
My copy's been ordered with Townsend.

It's amazing how analogue sounds are so relevant now.

Chris smile

#36480 02/02/11 12:33 PM
H
H
Have to say I wasn't initially particularly excited about this project. I couldn't see the point of John going back to the same old tired analogue sounds of the CR78, Arp Odyssey and so forth; surely he'd been there and done that years ago, and as a forward-thinking artist would be more interested in using modern technology to come up with new songs and sounds. Likewise I knew little about Benge, but for the fact he seems more famous for the instruments he uses than the music he makes. The uninspiring "Destination" single last year seemed to confirm that this project wasn't really for me.

Yet from what I've heard of Evergreen and Shetterproof, it seems I may have been wrong. Both have an energy and enthusiasm we haven't heard from John for quite a while and sound almost contemporary (not that of course I have a clue what contemporary music is supposed to sound like). Maybe I will buy the album after all!

#36481 02/03/11 01:02 PM

#36482 02/05/11 12:34 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
I couldn't see the point of John going back to the same old tired analogue sounds... he'd been there and done that years ago...
Likewise I knew little about Benge, but for the fact he seems more famous for the instruments he uses than the music he makes.
The uninspiring "Destination" single last year seemed to confirm that this project wasn't really for me... Yet from what I've heard of Evergreen and Shatterproof, it seems I may have been wrong.

Both have an energy and enthusiasm we haven't heard from John for quite a while and sound almost contemporary
I think Interplay (or the idea of it) has become more significant for some of us than we might have expected it to initially be.

Having seen Benge's Twenty Systems album back when it came out (in HMV of all places), I was later surprised to learn of John's acquaintance with him, which then very rapidly became a collaboration, particularly at a time when we'd had, or were having the release of A Secret Life and Mirrorball, though its worth bearing in mind that each of those two works were already old projects when Benge came onto the scene with their actual construction having taken place in a past framework, leaving John looking to move on again along other paths.

I still very much like ASL, but I can't now necessarily expect a continuation of it. I had high hopes that Mirrorball signified a move away from electro, and yes, I really wanted those guitars. I also don't feel any loss for myself when I admit that areas of Mirrorball have become less interesting now for me, namely those tracks which are more specifically linked to the far larger world of John's C.O. style, and for this collaboration I'd rather have had a little more of the Guthrie acoustic touch settling on the powerful Foxx foundations.

So, the strong presence of those two albums left me with less of a context with which to place the prospect of a return to electro on John's part. Benge and the idea of Interplay did not initially grab my attention as much it might have, and Destination failed to encourage me away from the other areas that John's then current collaborative releases had opened up in my mind.

But Evergreen, and Shatterproof (a fantastic opener for the album) are polished yet raw compositions that maintain an air of excitement about them, and as Herbert says, display a real energy. They are also highly catchy tunes to boot, I have gravitated back and forth from Evergreen at one moment, and Shatterproof at another, both going around in my head in a welcome manner making me eager to have an actual shiny CD disc in my hand, like a badge stating: 'this is the kind of music I like', 'and its good stuff'.

These tracks sound contemporary to me in spite of the ingredients making up the pie, that of old instruments and a mature artist, its far from a retro reheat, its much more 'fresh electro',

Future Music Interview, quote:

Benge isn’t fond of explaining things too much, and I can’t really speak for him, but I think he wanted to make a London post-digital electronic band.

Here's to them having succeeded smile And thus, we patiently wait until that pie comes out of the oven, and can all tuck in.

#36483 02/05/11 11:31 AM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:

The uninspiring "Destination" single last year seemed to confirm that this project wasn't really for me... Yet from what I've heard of Evergreen and Shatterproof, it seems I may have been wrong.

Both have an energy and enthusiasm we haven't heard from John for quite a while and sound almost contemporary.

But Evergreen, and Shatterproof (a fantastic opener for the album) are polished yet raw compositions that maintain an air of excitement about them, and as Herbert says, display a real energy. They are also highly catchy tunes to boot, I have gravitated back and forth from Evergreen at one moment, and Shatterproof at another, both going around in my head in a welcome manner making me eager to have an actual shiny CD disc in my hand, like a badge stating: 'this is the kind of music I like', 'and its good stuff'.

And thus, we patiently wait until that pie comes out of the oven, and can all tuck in.
I like your pie image. My own personal pie is still in the deep freeze. I've seen the serving suggestion on the box and have some idea of the cooking requirements (although naturally appliances vary). A shiny disc pie ... hmm.

I haven't heard Evergreen or Shatterproof yet since I would rather wait for the full package. I'm a bit an*l like that. Which might make a remix of Shatterproof a bit difficult for me to attempt!

#36484 02/05/11 01:38 PM
Having heard 3 tracks now from the album (I'd even forgotten Destination was included, as that pales in comparison to Evergreen and Shatterproof), I don't intend to hear any more.

I don't want to have nothing to look forward to hearing for the first time, when the album arrives on my doorstep. Too many spoilers in this internet age!

Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.