Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 753 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 752 753
Quote:
Originally posted by robert:
Sparks - Number one in heaven.
I have this also (on vinyl)and I was initially disappointed with it collectively,my favourite track probably being "My other voice."If I remember correctly "Number one song in heaven" reached #12 in this year.

My fave track on there is tryouts for the human race. An underated sparks album is, in outer space.

The Clash - London Calling and
John & Louis - Crash And Burn today. smile

Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ruido Blanco by Soda Stereo. This top but now defunct S. American band is best captured live. The sound is of course a fusion of Ultravox, Duran Duran, A Flock of Seagulls and some latin rhythms. The Foxxian Gustavo Cerati always comes up with brilliant lyrics like John but in Spanish. He's a pretty good guitarist and vocalist, very romantic but can play synths too (not on this album of course). Cerati's in top form here and their guest synth player Daniel Sais does give that epic feel to the concert. I've always wondered why he never joined the band.

Tonight I'll hopefully be listening to some Bill Nelson rarities that have just arrived.

Chris C wink

Ultravox 'Systems of Romance' and Propaganda 'A Secret Wish' are todays pickings so far!!

Last night it was Goldfrapp's 'Black Cherry'.

Best wishes

Sarah

laugh

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Juju

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yep it was a Bill Nelson night. Thanks to a kind American I managed to get hold of a compilation, Wondertoys , of B-sides that do not appear on The Two Fold Aspect of Everything and Duplex, and some 12" mixes. Mind you my favourite track was one of the b-sides of Furniture Music, funnily enough Wondertoys.

The same gent also managed to compile those fan-club freebies and presented me with 2 volumes of Acquitted By Mirrors . A good mix of synths and guitars but of B-side standard. I guess it's for completists.

I'm still amazed at Bill's ability to come up with hundreds of tracks. He must have spent day and night in the eighties in his own "musical observatory"!

There's a kind of romantic feel in Bill's music very reminiscent of John, in particular those poetic titles. I'm more amazed that Bill and John have not come up with an album like "Chance Encounters In The Garden Of Lights".

If John can fit in a project alongside his instrumental solo work and his vocal work with Louis he would be writing music with Bill.

Chris C wink

M
M
Human League - Reproduction
Depeche Mode - Speak And Spell
David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees
Apparatus And Hand - Under Ether

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
Ultravox 'Systems of Romance' and Propaganda 'A Secret Wish' are todays pickings so far!!

Last night it was Goldfrapp's 'Black Cherry'.

Best wishes

Sarah

laugh
'A Secret Wish' is one of my favourite albums! Managed to get an edition of it last year that comes with all the videos on a seperate DVD on the Repertoire label. 'Juju' is also a favourite - 'Into The Light' is just beautiful.

Page 11 of 753 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.