Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35980 12/29/06 01:11 PM
C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Rob

On the LCMM Research Newsletter Scripsit Issue 8 February 2004, under Dennis Leigh, John Foxx himself writes:

"I began final stage production work on a new CD album of recordings and co-compositions with Harold Budd.
I began recording of Musique Electron an abstract electronic music recording for CD release in 2005.
I started work on a new digital audiovisual projection project, Grey Suit Music."

We have already seen the release this year of Musique Electron or a form of it. Grey Suit Music has recently been mentioned in an interview re Anne Clark (see Herbertīs post under John Foxx). That only leaves his work with Harold in abeyance. Could this be one of the collaborations that John has hinted on this very recent interview?

Chris C wink

#35981 12/29/06 02:58 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Could this be one of the collaborations that John has hinted on this very recent interview?
John's mentioned a number of collaborations - see this previous News item for more information. wink

Rob

#35982 12/29/06 04:20 PM
J
J
John also hinted at a possible third album of material culled from the Translucence/Drift Music sessions.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the long-hinted-at collab between John and Karl Bartos.

#35983 12/29/06 05:41 PM
I've not heard of any progress on the collaboration with Karl Bartos but I think John and Karl doing music together would have an interesting outcome.

For me Drift Music/Translucence is OK but I'm not keen on hearing any "outtakes" from the original recording sessions.
Peter

#35984 12/29/06 06:09 PM
J
J
From what I understand, metal beat, the material from the Translucence/Drift Music sessions was recorded in bits and pieces. John and Harold then decided which tracks best fit the mood of the CDs. The remaining material likely possesses a different tone than the other two CDs; it's likely an album unto itself, not a collection of leftovers or outtakes.

#35985 01/03/07 03:20 AM
I'd be glad to buy a third CD of that material. Very glad.

#35986 01/03/07 04:05 AM
J
J
Same here. I own most of Harold's albums, but these two are probably my favorites. I find them perfect for rainy afternoon drives out in the Texas Hill Country. I don't have many friends.

#35987 01/03/07 10:54 AM
H
H
Maybe I'm getting confused here, but I thought Harold Budd had "retired"? Of course, this could just mean that he's retired from making new music, rather than having old material released.

#35988 01/03/07 11:53 AM
Administrator
Administrator
I've always wondered why "Translucence" and "Drift Music" were packaged together, when they are so different.

Especially if there is a third album's worth of material somewhere around.

Anyone else wondered the same, or know why this was done?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#35989 01/03/07 04:15 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I've always wondered why "Translucence" and "Drift Music" were packaged together, when they are so different.

Especially if there is a third album's worth of material somewhere around.

Anyone else wondered the same, or know why this was done?
I noticed it, too. Maybe John and Harold liked the contrast between the two albums. Each CD has its own distinct identity. I prefer Drift Music by just a smidgen, though. My one criticism of Translucence is that the piano notes are just a little jarring from time to time; when the music begins to lull me, a piano note snaps me out of it. It's still a lovely album.

Oh, and Herbert, I'm pretty sure Budd did retire in 2005. These sessions, however, were recorded a good year earlier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.