Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Johnnyh Offline OP
OP Offline
Found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7pR-p2kxts&feature=related Is there anything else from the gig? I have live recordings from 76 to 79 and have never heard this song. It could have been early 77 as I dont have anything from then. Anyone any ideas?

Administrator
Administrator
eek eek

Woooo - I have never seen this film before either, so I'd also call it a rarity indeed.
Likewise Johnny, none of the live recordings I have from the Marquee includes this track.

An educated guess dates this between late February and early August 1977 when the band had a Thursday night residency at the club. I'd personally go for the early part of that.

Does that help?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Johnnyh Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes Martin that's when I would date it too. I have commented to the uploaded and asked if there is any more of this. I hope there is!

Fantastic find!

Do any of our Italian friends have contacts at RAI? It is such good quality (well, it isn't cr@p video) there must be a decent copy of a whole show somehwere - no one would set up a recording for one song.

Regarding what the song could be, am I right in thinking that there was a version 1 of Car Crash Flashback back during the Ultravox era? Could this be it? Or am I way off the mark? confused

It can't be Radiobeach. As I recall, it sounded different to this song.

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Fantastic find!

Do any of our Italian friends have contacts at RAI? It is such good quality (well, it isn't cr@p video) there must be a decent copy of a whole show somehwere - no one would set up a recording for one song.
Italia calling.
No sorry - all I can see is that it is taken from the Rai Storia "history channel" and cites Odeon, a news-documentary programme from late 1977.
I shall try via a journalist friend.

edit: the documentary was made by Raffaele Andreassi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffaele_Andreassi - a former film director who worked on documentaries for TV in the 70s and 80s and died just last year at the grand old age of 86!

Bloody hell! That made me drop my chips!! eek

That's a sonic tablet from disco mountain - fantastic find!

Regarding the song itself....no idea! But - I am reminded of The Bob by Roxy Music on Roxy Music. The Bob stood for 'The Battle of Britain' and contained synth sounds by Eno emulating spitfires and machine-gun fire.

I only mention this as there's a lot of swooping synths on this Ultravox! piece - as if imitating an air attack - and does he say "burning rivers" (?)

Hell, I've no idea, but it does have that apocalyptic sound that they got on tracks like Fear in the Western World about it - also sounds at the start a bit first album as well, so maybe it was an early tryout?

A
A
Thanks very much for posting this Johnny. Amazing!

Quote:
It can't be Radiobeach. As I recall, it sounded different to this song.
'Radio Beach' (1979) can be heard here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxCRjzSU2Y

Best,
+A

The documentary continues here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJb-vpR-DKc and Ultravox! are name-checked during frame of Young Savage poster.

Johnnyh Offline OP
OP Offline
I think the song is called 'Storm of things' which Martin(birdsong) emailed me. This has been mentioned as a title in past interviews and is sung by John before the guitar solo. I agree with Garry that it sounds like a first album track. Thanks to memberD for the additional clip link. I wish there was more of it but at least we can hear part of one of the missing tracks.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Shadow:
Regarding what the song could be, am I right in thinking that there was a version 1 of [b]Car Crash Flashback back during the Ultravox era? Could this be it? Or am I way off the mark? confused [/b]
No, this isn't Car Crash Flashback...

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyh:
I think the song is called 'Storm of things' which Martin(birdsong) emailed me. This has been mentioned as a title in past interviews and is sung by John before the guitar solo. I agree with Garry that it sounds like a first album track. Thanks to memberD for the additional clip link. I wish there was more of it but at least we can hear part of one of the missing tracks.
This is definitely part of the track Storms of Things...

Rob

Mystery solved. cool

C
C
Yeah! Thanks for sharing this. It sounds like Billy's first night with the ARP Odyssey! Ultravox always had that sound well ahead of its time.

Chris smile

WOW laugh laugh
What a find. Fantastic.
Thank you Johnnyh for posting the link.

Lets hope there's some more.

Peter smile

That's an excellent clip.

I wonder what else survives, tucked away in various archives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.