Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
There's been no news lately re the speculation frown

But just to add fuel to the speculative fire...

1) Why would Chris and Midge be slaving over a hot synth to reproduce the sounds of their old songs? The two thread answer is that a) they are going to do some live dates (otherwise, why bother - just listen to the CD's if they want to hear those sounds!!) and b) Billy can't be joining them as he would have done this for them (surely, as the keyboard player).

All speculation, and just to keep the gossip going!

It would be nice to see them again, but Vienna/RIE/Quarter was all I really got into - the rest fell off my radar and I don't recall even listening to it (I don't have on vinyl).

So throw me back to the eighties - we had Mr Foxx here this year, it would be nice to see Mr Numan pass through Japan (on the way home from Australia next March), followed by the Basildon boys of Depeche Mode on their Universe tour (I think Japan is in the universe, but it seems that I could be wrong and the Universe is just in and around Europe!), and then Ultravox in some form or other, preferably as a quartet.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
It would be nice to see them again, but Vienna/RIE/Quartet was all I really got into
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
...after seeing them play during the Monument tour...
Ha, thanks for mentioning the 3rd album, I meant of course to say the Quartet tour in my earlier post, not 'Monument?' :rolleyes: and of course the album produced by George Martin, (apologies for going momentarily of topic, but maybe John should have enlisted him for TGS).

Would I be interested in a reformed Ultravox? well electro music has moved on in its own way, even with the retro feel of some groups, but I think Ultravox would need to be more radical now, rather than just pick up where they left off, if so, then I might be interested in hearing them again smile

Quote:
Would I be interested in a reformed Ultravox? well electro music has moved on in its own way, even with the retro feel of some groups, but I think Ultravox would need to be more radical now, rather than just pick up where they left off, if so, then I might be interested in hearing them again
aye - to be sure, a good point. To parallel seeing John foxx live again this year with the updated sound for many of the tracks, what was on the Youtube snippet was Ultravox trying to sound like Ultravox 20 years ago - forming their own tribute band perhaps wink (sorry).

However, I'd probably go and see them anyway and remember being just 18 the last time I saw them! I generally get sucked into live music pretty quickly and have only "suffered" once or twice (Rolling Stones was one).

I WANT TO HEAR ULTRAVOX LIVE!

Retro or updated sound is fine by me. smile

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
There's been no news lately re the speculation frown
Yes, it looks to be going great. smile

Quote:
Why would Chris and Midge be slaving over a hot synth to reproduce the sounds of their old songs?.....
Billy can't be joining them as he would have done this for them (surely, as the keyboard player).
They have always worked that way on some parts. Theres every chance Midge and Chris were finding the sounds so Billy can just get on and play when hes with them.
Quote:
Quote:
Would I be interested in a reformed Ultravox? well electro music has moved on in its own way, even with the retro feel of some groups, but I think Ultravox would need to be more radical now, rather than just pick up where they left off, if so, then I might be interested in hearing them again
aye - to be sure, a good point. To parallel seeing John foxx live again this year with the updated sound for many of the tracks, what was on the Youtube snippet was Ultravox trying to sound like Ultravox 20 years ago - forming their own tribute band perhaps.
In fact John and Louis have over recent years, tried to balance between early and modern sounds compared to their 97-98 live sound. Its IMO more likely to be a middle ground Ultravox too. Should they play live that is. wink

P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
[b]Why would Chris and Midge be slaving over a hot synth to reproduce the sounds of their old songs?.....
Billy can't be joining them as he would have done this for them (surely, as the keyboard player).
They have always worked that way on some parts. Theres every chance Midge and Chris were finding the sounds so Billy can just get on and play when hes with them.[/b]
The parts they were looking at are not Billy's parts. The bass in Vienna was played by Chris, the string synth in The Voice by Midge cf Monument.

I'd imagine that IF Billy is part of the situation, he already knows what he's doing; the parts are primarily piano anyway. For the rest he has been using synths regularly since the 70s up to the present and he has been producing music since the split. He is a highly-trained and highly-skilled musician. He knows what he is doing. For me the question is: is he interested? That he played on Vienna tells me that perhaps he is.

I just hope Warren is in on this as well.

And that there is new stuff forthcoming.

Don't want much really, do I.

Quote:
Originally posted by Poyns:
Don't want much really, do I.
You are not alone though.

H Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by Poyns:
[b]Don't want much really, do I.
You are not alone though. [/b]
No one is alone here!

We all want the same thing as far as Ultravox is concerned.

H smile

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.