Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Magazine was more close to Joy Division than Ultravox (!) or Japan. But that bands had something in common when were formed. Howard Devoto and John Foxx had the same ideas (and they were northern english - Manchester and Lancashire had music brains until the demise of Stone Roses and when Oasis began to dominate the world -). It's known Devoto plans a Magazine reunion in 2009. John Foxx should reunite Ultravox, for a brief time as Magazine or The Police if nor for that eternity (things changed not?).

Yes I heard about this too. ( Thanks Chris!!) But they will only reunite (firstly?) for two shows in UK in February!!!

If this is true and the concerts will happen I have to check my purse for comming over!! smile

Magazine were my fav. band no.2 after Ultravox! but I never saw them live. It shall be the original line-up - so I'm keen to know who will be the replacement of the fantastic John McGeoch (R.I.P.)on Guitar. Would be a great moment to do it again Robin???!!!

Cheers, Andreas wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Francodamn:
and when Oasis began to dominate the world -
Who are Oasis confused wink

I have the first four Oasis albums, but they got progressively worse after that IMO.

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
I have the first four Oasis albums, but they got progressively worse after that IMO.
Wow! You made it to four? Impressive! I gave up after the second one! wink I really enjoyed the first two -- still give the first one a listen now and then and still find it very entertaining.

Would still prefer to listen to Magazine, though. That band 's recordings have aged tremendously well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
[b] I have the first four Oasis albums, but they got progressively worse after that IMO.
Wow! You made it to four? Impressive! I gave up after the second one! wink [/b]
smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
Would still prefer to listen to Magazine, though. That band 's recordings have aged tremendously well.
Yeah agreed. The Gallagher bro's may have a lot of attitude, but their not a patch on some classic bands.

C
C
IMHO Magazine was one of those original New Wave bands along with Ultravox. During that time there were still some bands thrashing and trashing their guitars. Music is an art and the afore-mentioned bands had this.

I wonder if Pete Shelley would be the guitarist. Not many guitarists have the ability and charisma that John McGeoch had. Robin Simon would also do a fine job.

I would love to see Dave Formula glide over all his keys (Odyssey synth, Yamaha string synth, Yamaha electric piano and Hammond organ). laugh

Chris wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
IMHO Magazine was one of those original New Wave bands along with Ultravox. During that time there were still some bands thrashing and trashing their guitars. Music is an art and the afore-mentioned bands had this.

I wonder if Pete Shelley would be the guitarist. Not many guitarists have the ability and charisma that John McGeoch had. Robin Simon would also do a fine job.

I would love to see Dave Formula glide over all his keys (Odyssey synth, Yamaha string synth, Yamaha electric piano and Hammond organ). laugh

Chris wink
Yes, it's a nice thought Pete Shelley would do the job.
But my favourite for this would be Robin Simon - don't know if he could do that along his work with Ajanta Music. But he did a very good job on Magazine's 1980 tour!!!

Another option would be Ben Mandelson - the guitarist from "Magic, Murder and the Weather" - but this would be my least favourite. Think it has something to do with this album is my last favourite of the four.

BTW: My favourites are (in that order):

Secondhand Daylight
Real Life
The correct use of Soap
Magic, Murder and the Weather

And not to forget "Play", the live album with Robin on guitar!!! Very good.

wink Andreas

Quote:
Magazine was more close to Joy Division than Ultravox (!) or Japan.
I only have vague recollections of Magazine so I guess it is time to re-explore.

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
[b] Magazine was more close to Joy Division than Ultravox (!) or Japan.
I only have vague recollections of Magazine so I guess it is time to re-explore. [/b]
I vaguely remember people referring to the track 'Replicas' as influenced by Magazine. Must admit, cant quite see that one. confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.