Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34708 12/19/07 12:43 AM
Will Offline OP
OP Offline
With a new Max Headroom series looming does anyone know if a dvd was ever released of "20 minutes into the future"? (at least thats what I think it was called) and was the soundtrack ever released?

#34709 12/19/07 10:04 AM
Yep, that's the correct name - and no, it was never released on DVD, nor was the soundtrack released. Shame, as it was damn good.

What's this about a new series, then? Haven't heard that one - very exciting if it's true!

#34710 12/19/07 10:10 AM
I've seen him on a new Channel 4 trailer last week.

#34711 12/19/07 10:34 AM
Is this the same as the UK series (pop videos) or the later US TV Series (full-on 'Bladerunner'-style sci-fi series). I really hope it's the latter but I suspect it's the former!

I've got almost all the US series on VHS but really could do with a DVD of it - does it exist?

#34712 12/19/07 12:56 PM
I did not know there was a UK show with the same name.

#34713 12/19/07 01:14 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/nov/29/channel4.advertising

Looks life its not a new series but part of a campaign for the Digital TV switchover.

#34714 12/19/07 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I did not know there was a UK show with the same name.
Hi Maryann,

Back in the early 80s Channel 4 invented Max Headroom - purely to host between pop videos. To kick start this, they created a pilot film called 'Max Headroom: 20 Minutes into the Future' I can't remember exactly, but the film is approx 70-90 mins in length.

I've no idea why, but the US decided to use the pilot film story to create the US TV series - the plot of episode 1, mirrors the 'Max Headroom: 20 Minutes into the Future' film almost word for word, some of the characters from the original UK film even retained their parts for the US series: Max/Edison, Theora and Blank Reg.

The UK series carried on just being Max supporting a load of video clips, I thought the US series however was just outstanding; some amazing storylines - some of it very topical for today, regarding genetic engineering, organ transplants etc.

Here's a scary thought: in the series Bryce is approximately 17 years old. Since one episode mentions his birth as 1988, that sets the series somewhere in 2004-05! eek

#34715 12/20/07 12:00 AM
Oo - according to maxheadroom.com , there WAS a DVD release of the original film, but for the Japanese rental market only - and no longer available. Weird!

There's also a bit of news about the recent activity on there:

Matt Frewer B-B-Back in the Suit

Matt Frewer strapped on the rubber and fiberglass recently to film four commercials for Channel Four, promoting their impending switch to digital. According the the SFX Magazine article, this is the first time Frewer has performed as Max in 20 years. (The 1988 or 1989 Xmas Special seems to have been his last appearance.)

In the SFX Magazine article, Frewer mentions discussions of a resumption of the show (I assume this refers to the ABC series or something like it, and not a talk/music show). It's hard to properly weight such claims - they could be fannish chatter with the SFX reporter or a peek at real negotiations underway.

Ownership Party in Discussion with Network

A party with a significant ownership role in Max Headroom revealed that talks are underway with a major network, with concentration on a feature broadcast film... which of course would have secondary purpose as a new pilot.

Graphics House in Discussions

A well-known visual f/x company let slip that they are in talks about the application of present-generation technology to a Max-like construct and associated graphics. The discussion was supposed to be generic but showed a new-gen take on Max's trademark bouncing-lines background.

Disturbingly, this discussion strongly implied that Max would be truly computer-generated - in part, was the implication, so that it would free the producers from reliance on an actor. Any actor.

Principals Officially Mum - Together

Two well-known Max Headroom principals have demurred on project interview requests, citing ongoing negotiations. Others just as significant, curiously, have been generous in establishing contact and planning for interview sessions.

Coupled with that, a number of important principals have been spotted, or have admitted being, in proximity with others. Some of these folks and companies haven't even exchanged Xmas cards for years... but are now breathing the same air. Irrelevant? Maybe.

#34716 12/20/07 12:03 AM
It should probably also be mentioned for those who don't know, that Midge and Chris wrote the entire (and brilliant) soundtrack for the original Max Headroom TV film, '20 Minutes Into the Future'.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.