Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#34540 02/02/07 07:42 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
That would be a logical deduction.
Good work!

I don't have the article, and I am toying with subscribing to rocksbackpages.com for this and others that haven't yet made their way into my world…

Scott - do you have the full text?
Perhaps you could email me?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#34541 02/05/07 03:23 AM
I saw them in Birmingham in 1977 at a club called Barbarellas. It was a very famous punk club in those days. I think I saw them there at least three times there. SOme of my memories are,
-John wearing sort of wolly jumper. At the end of the show it was pulled all over the place.
-I remember John would pick up a rather large strobe light and hold it very close to his body and dance all over the place.
-Another time he came out in this very nice suit. I dont remember what song it was but at one point he was singing very serenely and someone gobbed on his left shoulder.
I think at one point the punks were pretty confued because "Young Savage" was almost a standard "kick the can" punk song so I think they expected all their songs to be rock-rock and YS.
I can also remember them walking off stage at the end of Distant smile ( I think) with all the feedback making this horrible moise (it might have been artificial life??) confused .

#34542 02/05/07 09:10 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Fantastic anecdotes!

Thanks for posting smile

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#34543 02/24/07 04:52 PM
H
H
Saw the guys at the Roundhouse, they appeared alongside Boomtown Rats and The Stranglers...... i remember being totally pissed off cos johns mic went dead and there were no vocals going on, now this must have been either 77 or 78, but looking in the archive i couldnt see it with those other two bands playing.
I was there,I did see it, I just hope someone can confirm it, and as i seem to remember it was a sunday evening?...t was all so long ago but it was wonderful

#34544 02/26/07 03:23 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thanks for this.
I have only got a note of Ultravox playing a couple of times at the Roundhouse.
The last of these maybe the one you're referring to:

Late October 1978
Ultravox, Chris Spedding (formerly of The Sharks) and The Boomtown Rats headlined and (among others) The Klonez played too. But I can't find anything about The Stranglers being on the same bill?
Will keep looking though.. wink

#34545 02/28/07 07:16 PM
H
H
Ooh Err, that was probably it then, i did see the stranglers at the RH as well but it was a long time ago and i wasnt averse to ermm enjoying meself and getting a little twatted, (we all did back then lol) and not sleeping for 2-3 days at a time so maybe thats why its all overlapping. I do still remember the mic failing on john tho, i was livid cos id been looking forward to the gig for ages, and my best mate worked the bar at the roundhouse and got me in for nowt. Apart from the mic failing i can still to this day remember that raw sound and the pure energy jumping out of the band...magnificent!

#34546 03/01/07 09:06 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Excellent.
Those youthful days.

I remember such stories so well.
Sleeping in stairwells...

Thanks for the anecdote!

#34547 04/20/07 01:50 PM
I
I
I saw Ultravox ! at Eric's in Liverpool in 78 I mentioned this to John in Milan the other day ,and he said it was a great place for gigs. the support band "The Ded Byrds " had Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Holly Johnson in them .

#34548 07/03/07 09:49 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
August 21 1977

Oostende, Netherlands.
Ultravox! (with Livin' Blues and Water support prog rockers Caravan.

Can anyone confirm this?

http://calyx.club.fr/caravan/chrono.html

#34549 07/18/07 11:42 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Reading Festival, 1978

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.