Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#34347 06/06/10 01:26 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I wanted to put this in a new thread with a title in case posting the setlist spoils anything for anyone.

SHORT CIRCUIT JUNE 5TH 2010

Intro

Parallel Lives - A film by Alex Proyas
Music by John Foxx
A repurposing of Film One (new version)

Part One - Metamatic
Plaza
This City
Burning Car
He's A Liquid
No One Driving
Underpass

Part Two - Gordongate
Shadow Man
A Million Cars
An Ocean We Can Breathe

Part Three - The Maths
(new material here, someone might know the correct titles)
Running Man
In Summer Land (??) Edit - SUMMER LAND
Watching A Building On Fire
Catwalk

Part Four - Ultravox
Dislocation
Quiet Men
Slow Motion

"Encore"
new track - Ghost Shadow(??)Edit - GOOD SHADOW
is this from the sessions with Paul Daley...?
Man Who Dies Every Day
Destination

"Encore"
Just For A Moment

Special thanks to everyone whose particles formed the pattern of my day

to Garry and Mark for IMT Burroughs, beer, books and music
to Kim Duffell for Mirrorball, covent garden and cake
to the Foxxgate for food and good company
to the band, the artists and the crew
to Paul Simon, for remembering me and for the AjantaMusic CD

to the two w*nkers who taked loudly behind me throughout the whole gig. No, 'all his fanclub members didn't get into the show on a special rate' and no, it's not the first time he's performed Metamatic live

and finally to the other w*nkers that picked a fight during Louis's set and pushed me over in the process, so I spilled another guy's beer all over my shirt and into a friend's bag and jacket.

i do hope you both managed to f*ck off safely...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#34348 06/06/10 06:14 AM
Nice to catch up with you martin,gotta agree about the sheer number of annoying twats in the audience,some interferred with my filming,i'm not a violent man but i could punched some of them.cheers for the setlist,i wish they'd closed on i cant stay long though,brilliant show

#34349 06/06/10 07:27 AM
Ahhh, so sorry that you guys had bad experiences.

I'll admit that I found the crowd a curious bunch. Not sure how to categorise what I was seeing, and any attempt would probably sound extremely 'snobbish' (which isn't intended in anyway), so I won't bother!

Loved the gig - the Metamatic stuff absolutely shone brightly, and the early Ultravox stuff sounded just superb. I was so pleased to see and hear Robin Simon again - it was his guitar rifts and sounds on SOR that blew me away all those yers ago.

The visuals were wonderfully stitched together, and really lifted the whole event to a very high level.

Enjoyed Jori's set, it was a great start to the evening.
Mark Jones? Hmmm, is he really a professional DJ? Maybe there is hope for me yet? Maybe he was flustered by having to play his set earlier than planned?
Gary Numan's set was good up to the point I heard (needed to get out for last train home) - what was the first track he played? Anyone know/remember?

Great night, and on the whole great company. Martin, so sorry that we never got to speak. Hope we can remedy that in the near future at the next event (fingers crossed!)?

#34350 06/06/10 09:04 AM
I had some twat in front of me who's dancing was more suited to Y.M.C.A., I had to move it was such a distraction.

#34351 06/06/10 10:20 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
For me, the standouts were Barnbrooks visuals. I absolutely love typography as an artform, and he treated us to some clever and creative interpretations last night.
It was a refreshing change to see John's lyrics used to such great effect - he undersells them himself. I agree of course that each track is more than the sum of its parts and you can't seperate one element from the another, but on occasions it doesn't hurt.
We've never talked about it, but Barnbrook seems to have a very similar understanding and appreciation of John Foxx work as I do.
No One Driving was especialy good, with the subtle introduction of technicolour lettering.

Regarding John's set, the highlights for me include, surprisingly, Underpass. The new interpretation as performed by The Maths was/is the best version I have ever heard. It was given a lot more depth and layering that worked a treat.
Man Who Dies Every Day lifted the Ultravox set to another level altogether and was about the point when I got moving around.
Agree that Destination is set to be a classic, and I think it takes over from A Million Cars in that respect, which was just not 'on it' tonight.

And this is where I disagree with fons - no harm in that - because I'd have to say that the tracks performed with Louis were the weak point, and as they fell mid-set I found that unfortunate.
It felt that these tracks were louder and longer than they needed to be and left me feeling a bit disappointed.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#34352 06/06/10 12:17 PM
F
F
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! smile I thought this was a *good* gig!!

Don't get me wrong, it was NOT perfect, but the imperfections were primarily down to it being a PROPER LIVE GIG with MUSICIANS playing INSTRUMENTS (wow! remember that? wink rather than just some blokes dicking around with a laptop and backing track. Ah, how quaint!) ... as such, having seen John Foxx a scary number of times (8?) in the past decade, I thought "you know, I wish all his gigs had been like this! This is PROPER gigging!"

As someone who has spent many years doing songs with a transit van's worth of analogue synths on stage, I'd say I've learnt two things about it:

1. You need a soundman who knows the songs intimately and has rehearsed with you, cos when you have that many different machines on stage, you KNOW that at some points during the set, no matter how hard you try, some of them WILL be too loud or too quiet, usually during a key solo, and the soundman needs to be able to yank their level on the desk to the right place within seconds, otherwise that bit of the song will be ruined.

2. It does help the presentation if you position the synths so the audience can see a little bit of people's hands on the keyboards (i.e. sideways): if the players all face the audience and you can only see the backs of the synths, it can be a bit less engaging cos you can't see who's playing wot. (unlike with a rock band, where you can obviously see who is playing which guitar/bass/drums etc ... or a classical gig for that matter)

I felt John could learn from these tips ;0)

I also wished the Roundhouse would have let us sit upstairs if we wanted, cos it was a long hot day and I'm only 5'8" and tall buggers always seem to manage to stand in front of me at gigs so it can be a bit of a struggle to see ANYTHING (never mind who's playing wot - or the fancy films). But oh well......

Basically I thought the gig started off great! A selection of classic songs from Metamatic, sounding raw and messy and powerful, just like live analogue synths should! I PREFER a gig sounding like this than one where it all sounds "perfect" but is mostly coming off a backing track: I can listen to the perfect CD at home in much more comfort any day!
I love all the little bits "going wrong" smile (Like in Underpass, I think the lady synth player was doing the high strings? And she had too much 'wet' signal on her delay than 'dry', so the riff ended up sounding all inside-out, an 8th-note too late. Which is the sort of brilliant V2-schneideresque wrongness you could never plan in advance wink
I got the impression John was rather liking being up at the front in the middle surrounded by lots of minions lol

However, then Louis Gordon came on! Bless! lol
I'm afraid it all went a bit pearshaped: the sound mix went totally t1ts up, we could hardly hear Louis' synths, just loads of drums and subbass (and, thank goodness, the vocals). OOOPS!
Rather odd choice of 3 songs, too: I'd agree with "A Million Cars" as one of their standout tunes, but the other two are hardly in the top 3? And they do have a tendancy to play 6˝ minute versions of them when a tight 4 minutes would suffice.... Still, at least we got to see Louis' dancing, ahem smile

Anyways so then the other lot came back on and the gig began to get back on track after nearly being derailed by that soundmix....
Although they were débuting a lot new unreleased new stuff we hadn't heard before, which is a risky way to get the audience on your side lol
Foxxy's lyrics always do teeter a bit between the sublime and the ridiculous, and I wasn't entirely convinced by the one about him being "The Running Man" and having films of stripey trainers behind him: getting close to self-parody territory there!! smile

However when Robin Simon FINALLY was allowed to join them on stage, the gig was properly back on form. (To be honest, if there'd been no Louis Gordon soundmixcarcrash interlude and a ton of "new stuff", it woulda been a much better gig.... harsh but fair, I feel.....)

Now the funny thing is, if I was picking a bunch of songs that showed off Robin Simon's talents, it would NOT have been these ones. There's basically no flippin guitar *in* Dislocation or Just for a Moment, and the guitar in "The Quiet Men" and "Man Who Dies Everyday" is just this minimalist tight rhythm part! The poor man did really have much to play and looked (understandably) a bit bemused by all the accolades of genius that he was getting! bless! lol I'm surprised they didn't do "WALK AWAY" as he has a wonderful solo in that....

SLOW MOTION was great (although the synths did NOT sound as good as Billy Currie's splatter-your-brains-against-the-back-wall Odyssey oscillator-sync mayhems).
MAN WHO DIES EVERYDAY sounded loads better than the attempt to play it with Louis, but unfortunately it fell foul of one of those classic live synth gotchas: the Odyssey solo in the middle was WAY TOO QUIET - you could hardly hear it... which obviously kinda ruined the middle of the song, which shoulda been one of the sonic highlights of the gig! Clearly either the main FoH soundman didn't know the song as well as all of us, or the submixing before it reached her had meant she couldn't do anything about it. Meh.
The arpeggiated synth solo in THE QUIET MEN was a bit bonkers lol smile

All in all, I felt John Foxx & The Maths was an EXCELLENT band that I very much hope will be able to TOUR and thus 'GET THEIR SH1T TOGETHER' wink and do all these songs from their new album plus old Foxx/UVox classics in a tight and powerful fashion, having ironed out and nailed all the first-night-nerves soundmixing gaffes that lost them bonus points at the gig last night.
Not sure if we will get a tour though, as such an undertaking for over half dozen people and 4 times as many machines would be pricey, and John Foxx & The Maths are unlikely to sell bucketloads of their new album

I hope they do, though!

#34353 06/06/10 04:27 PM
A
A
Agree with much of the comments by Feline1, although I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the gig. I've seen JF many times recently, but honestly thought this would be the best gig yet. It wasn't. I agree that the start was strong - just wonderful Metamatic played on those analogue synths, imperfections and all. But when Louis arrived, it rapidly went down hill. This was meant to be an analogue gig, so why 4 songs that patently weren't 'live' (besides Louis' awful keyboard solo - a career low, and I'm usually a fan of his)? It was the first time I've squirmed watching Foxx and Louis.

Some of the new stuff, besides the wonderful 'Catwalk', was lost on me - and seemingly many of the others around me who seemed a bit bored. The Ultravox section was better, but agree that JS was wasted on songs that underplayed what a good guitarist he is. And 'Destination' which I agree is a future classic, was a total mess; at one point the woman on synth looked at Benge with a 'This is going horribly wrong' expression. I missed the encore, but that seems a bizarre song to finish on. All in all, fan that I am, this was a wasted opportunity by Mr Foxx. It was also summed up by having two DJ sets before the gig - why? Can't we see someone actually playing some synths to get us in the mood, not just some guy literally putting one record on after another for an audience way too old for dancing... frown

#34354 06/06/10 04:56 PM
F
F
lol yeah I forgot to say about "Destination" - what happened was: John started singing something like a bar too early (or late), so he was out of sync with the band... I noticed right away, but it still sorta "worked" until they reached the chorus, cos there was one of those big portamento-swoop synth things there, and it was obviously in the wrong place, and the keyboard-playing lady got very confused as to when to come in smile

lol I found it kinda entertaining, it didn't piss me off... it is the sort of hilarious mistake that can happen when you are playing live to a sequenced backing. A 100% live band would never have this problem, cos everyone just realises what's happened and corrects for it smile

there were definitely some good new The Maths songs: I particularly liked a slowish-one with a lot of arpeggiation. Hard to take in that much new material in one go.

To be fair, I'm sure it wasn't Louis' fault that the soundmix went pearshaped for his 3 songs. However he's the one on the stage and so we all tend to think he was the one "ruined the gig" bless wink Not really fair, but that's why I always say that the soundman is the most important person at any gig! Never mind what crap or gold is being played on stage: unless it's mixed right, the audience can't hear it!

#34355 06/06/10 05:01 PM
F
F
Yeah I totally agree about the DJ nonsense:
a John Foxx gig is primarily made up of balding T-shirt wearing introverted men in their mid 40s /grins/
These are not the sort of people who "go clubbing" and you are not going to get them dancing, so just playing records at them for 3 hours in a bit pointless.
I knew it would be like this so I only bothered to be in the building for Ade Fenton's set - which seemed totally cheesy, just him playing "The Best Alt-SynthPop Album of the Eighties - EVER!", totally preaching to the choir. Quite how this fitted in with the themes of the earlier seminar, I wouldn't know wink

If they want my opinion: John Foxx & the Maths should get in a bus with their synths and go on tour round the UK. Do some HARD WORK doing real gigs to real audiences, instead of fannying around "curating" "multimedia events" in pretentious venues. This is real, good, quality music, and they should learn to play and mix it tight and without c0ckups and go and impress and entertain people with it, like bands used to do in the olden days:)

#34356 06/06/10 06:50 PM
I enjoyed the concert. I'm no expert in sound but it felt far from right. I found inside the Roundhouse far too stuffy for comfort, on the hottest day of the year. It was nice to see Louis again, perform with John even if it felt a bit flat.

Peter

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.