Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Top 5 spiritually uplifting or life affirming tracks… smile

There’s an undoubted spirituality and sense of animism that’s often at the heart of John’s work, perhaps it even borders on a kind of religious electro-acoustic praise to the beauty of life, nature, and the unseen magic behind existence...

So, it’s boogie with a shoeshine, pack up all your cares and woe, and here I go joining in with The Blues Brothers to re-enact that OTT scene in the Pentecostal Church from the Blue Brothers movie, wherein, I’m donning my suit and shades, climbing aboard a trampoline, and bouncing up and down while singing my praises to the Lord of the dance with my top five hymns to life:

Walk Away: ”and now the rain is gone, and the air is clear”

Drive: ”the sky’s on fire and all the bridges break”

Someone: ”strange how moments last so long, always with you long after they have gone…”

The Lifting Sky: ”turn my face to the river”

Stars on Fire: ”looks like I came home just in time”

Never Let Me Go
Night Suit
An Ocean We Can Breathe
The Lifting Sky
Enter The Angel

H
H
Scene 27, Trellick Tower
Spin Away
Quiet City
Sitting At The Edge Of The World
Morning Glory

All of these tracks are relatively old now though - it does seem as if John has been neglecting his more spiritiual side for a while now.

Infinite In All Directions
Dislocation
In Mysterious Ways
A Blurred Girl
An Ocean We Can Breathe

All of the above for different reasons. Infinite In All Directions would always be number one, the order of the other four might change depending on my mood on any given day.

I
I
If by life afferming , you mean giving a buzz or frisson
1)Young Savage
2)Distant Smile
3)While I'm still alive
4)Ultraviolet/InfraRed
5)A million cars

C
OP Offline
C
Interesting choices chaps, as is always the case from forum members.

Herbert, I had to listen to Scene 27’ again to see if it would fit for me, and yes, I’ve been neglecting My Lost City, and that particular contemplative and warm track.
Night Suit, and Blurred Girl, are tasty tracks that I enjoy hearing, always guaranteed to make me feel good.

Ivan, yes definitely life-affirming if it gives you a buzz or frisson. I’m not a religious person, so I’ll take the Foxx enjoyment of spiritual things without having to have all of the paraphernalia.

Has John been neglecting his spiritual side? Well so far there’s not been an overwhelming amount from the Louis period, its outweighed a bit by the solo past, and nothing so far from anyone from out of last years collaborations.

Is there much on the horizon to change that, maybe the collab’ with the Smoke Fairies, though why should I say that, just because there’s female input does that make it any more spiritual than John can be solo, or am I just basing this on the vague new age (old age) look of the fairies, or my distant thoughts of IMW and the female vocals on that album.

Good Shadow has a nice feeling about it though. I’m very curious as to what (if any) album that might surface on…

N
N
No One Driving (I was 9 when I first heard this and still gives me the same buzz)

Your Dress (especiall when idiots at work annoy)

Like A Miracle (always good to belt ut in the car)

Slow Motion (pictures, I've got pictures . . .)

An Ocean We Can Breathe (the openning is like an old friend)

Finally a list I can do without thinkg what should be there. Just read the mp3 player stats.

Newer tracks (Citys of Light, Million Cars) are not far behind, they just have not had as much time to fit a life mement as the older tracks have. There day will come.

(totally off the top of my head)

Slow Motion
-
Underpass
-
A Million Cars
-
Endlessly
-
My Face
-
cool

Uplifting:

Hand Held Skies
Twighlight's Last Gleaming
Europe After The Rain
Sunset Rising
A Man Made of Shadows (The Quiet Man)

Life affirming:

A Blurred Girl
Your Dress
Like A Miracle
Cinemascope

The choice was hard, as there are so many tracks to choose from.

C
C
Yes the choice is hard. A few that spring to mind:

Night Suit
I Can't Stay Long
The Quiet Men
Like A Miracle
Touch and Go

Ask me an hour later and it'll be a different set. Many great tracks to choose from.

Chris wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.