Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3237 09/01/09 01:51 PM
B
Brigid Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Good morning--or afternoon, as the case may be for most of you...

I think many of you have met me already--my name is Brigid, and I have developed this habit of spending a ton of money I don't have to fly from the U.S. to the U.K. to see the esteemed Mr. Foxx at shows, exhibitions, and other such events. I'm also a big fan of Karborn's work, and have two of his artworks in my room, right near my Cathedral Oceans print (I think it's number 22 or 26...)

The most recent event was the DNA exhibition opening, and I noticed yesterday that a link had been posted to my blog, where I had reviewed the exhibition, among other things. I thought, well, if the Metamatic folks can give my blog traffic, then I really ought to quit procrastinating and get over there to give Mr. Harris some traffic as well...

Cian Mutsumi took a group photo of those of us hanging out before the DNA exhibition. There is me, and 4 men in this photo. What amused me about it was that it seemed like a visual graphic for the ratio of male-to-female John Foxx fans out there (though I'm betting there's at least 10 male John Foxx fans for every female). At least it appears that way. Besides myself, Gem, Tessa, Paula, Cian...who else is out there?

So, demographics aside--I am fairly new to John's work, as I only discovered him LAST AUGUST. That's right, back in the days when MTV actually played music videos, never ONCE did I see Mr. Foxx. My only experience of Ultravox was the "other" one, and with apologies to Rob, I am not a fan. I was annoyed that someone as awesome as John was off my musical radar for so many years. When I told this to Steve Malins, he told me it was because Foxx "had a lousy manager". (Which we know is not true. But I thought it was pretty funny).

It wasn't until a friend of mine played the first 2 Ultravox albums for me did I realize how incredible they were...and then I went on to investigate "what else" John Foxx did after that...and now I'm completely hooked. When John sees me at events, I don't know if he's really glad to see me, or just being polite--if it's the latter, I'll give him credit for faking it well. In any case--I like him tremendously as a person (as opposed to an "artist" or a "celebrity", or whatever)--I've not met any musicians or artists like him in the past. He's one of a kind.

OK, enough about me. Now you won't hear from me for 6 months. wink

#3238 09/01/09 02:16 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Hi there Brigid - welcome to The Forum... laugh

Rob

#3239 09/01/09 03:01 PM
M
M
Hi Brigid. A very warm Ilektrik welcome from me.

Mark

#3240 09/01/09 05:43 PM
Hi Brigid,

Welcome to the forum laugh

Brian

#3241 09/01/09 06:48 PM
Hi Brigid
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you here.

I was one of the fortuneate ones discoving John back in 1979.

Regards

Peter smile

#3242 09/01/09 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, Brigid. wink

#3243 09/01/09 08:04 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Hey hey - good to see you finally gave in.

Welcome to Foxxland!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#3244 09/01/09 08:29 PM
G
Gem Offline
G
About time... wink . Great to see you here, Brigid!

#3245 09/02/09 05:48 AM
Welcome, Brigid. Don't let the disparity in gender representation among John Foxx fans discourage you from contributing more often than every 6 months. I've found that the rough-and-tumble testosterone-driven tech hounds who frequent this forum tend to be remarkably tolerant of the occasional female point of view. wink

#3246 09/02/09 10:52 AM
Hi Brigid .. enjoyed you blog post about DNA; and hope you WILL find the time to contribute regularly to this here forum...and keep following @metamatica on twitter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.