Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#32066 09/30/07 08:42 PM
OP Offline
I've just got around to playing Retro Future. I already own a boot copy of the concert. The difference between the two is tremendous. Who ever did this has done a good job. It's nice to have a "real" live concert instead of studio live. The only shame is that Though My sleeping, The Noise and Endlessly are missing but I guess that Endlessly will sound exactly the same as on the Exotour album.

I'm glad that Louis's solo improvisation as been left in at the beginning of Dislocation.

All in all I'm very easy to please where John is concerned and this album is a must. Glad I brought it.

I also love the artwork for the sleeve, very modernistic. I can only imagine what this picture would look like on 12" vinyl cover.

I don't want to start an arguement about sound/remastered quality like on another thread which I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANYMORE.

Enjoy this album and a big thank you to all involved in making this.

In the future it would be nice to have more "real" live albums.

Peter wink

#32067 09/30/07 09:17 PM
F
F
I listened to my copy of RETRO FUTURE today too.

I had been a little "meh" about it in advance, thinking "don't I have all this already on the Subterrean Omnidelic Exotour CD?"

But as Mr Metalbeat says, this is probably much more fun as it is a "real" live album, rather than live in studio.

As far as the track selection goes, it is nearly all the same as the Exotour CD, but you do get the sadly neglected "Here We Go" on this one, which has to be one of the best tracks off the come-back "Shifting City" album.
Actually the setlist from the Exotour is interesting in that it's about 1/3rd Metamatica, 1/3rd Ultrafoxx! and only 1/3rd Shifting City (and no thirds from John's 3 albums of 1981-85)

I found it interesting to compare this 1998 set to last night's Metamatic show.
Back in '98, for the "comeback", they clearly felt the need, whether artistically or through technological necessity, to "update" the old songs' arrangements, so there's a lot of modified rhythms, the sounds are sample-based or digital, a lot of the more melodic bits are replaced by more blargey techno-style pulses...
I've noticed that at gigs post 98, each tour has seen the sounds getting closer to what they used to sound like in 1980 smile ... last night's Metamatic had the majority of them sounding identical to 1980 (indeed, I suspect we maybe WERE hearing the tapes from 1980!) ... it's hard to judge whether in 1998, they were trying to sound different to the past, or just not able to replicate the past properly... technology has moved on and it seems we can now virtually not only listen to recorded music from any era, but record new music that sounds like it was in any era! laugh

I have to say I probably preferred the arrangements on most of these songs the way they were originally, and the 1998 versions sounds frankly a bit pants in places - e.g. on "The Quiet Men" - the synth solo in the middle - are they trying to "do something new with it"? Or were they just a bit crap and couldn't quite work out what notes Billy Currie played on the original and couldn't quite get as good a sound as he had on his Odyssey and Elka string synth and had to "make do"? I dunno, and now 10 years on, I dunno if it matters either smile

John's singing with the digitech vocalist harmonizer is in fine form; Louis' "in the club style" guldering backing vocals are not always quite in the same league.
Nonetheless, there is palpable excitement in the air as these middle aged men let loose the full cartoon modernism of "20th Century" on the cultural hotbed that is Shrewsbury laugh They just gotta do what they gotta do, really, innit? smile
I'm pleased they're still doing it now in 2007, long may they continue!

#32068 10/01/07 08:46 AM
I have to admit, I never felt that Louis vocals quite worked with John's.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to hearing this real live album (thanks Peter!!).

I might post a review once I've heard it.

#32069 10/01/07 09:30 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I might post a review once I've heard it.
Please do. Look forward to reading it smile

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32070 10/01/07 09:39 AM
Cheers from me too! 'Here We Go' has to be one of my all-time favourite songs by Foxx - sent shivers up my spine when I heard it live the first time.

#32071 10/01/07 09:43 AM
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I have to admit, I never felt that Louis vocals quite worked with John's.
To be fair, going purely on what I've heard of him at Foxx gigs and live CDs, young Louis can sing perfectly well and actually has a pretty good range for hitting the high notes.
I think it's more just a case of him having to "curb his enthusiasm" ;-) i.e. he gets a bit carried away by the excitement of it all and hollers a bit, quite possibly when he can't hear himself too well in the monitors, which can result in him being out of tune.
A little more discipline and calm would produce better results. smile
(Sorry that probably sounds insufferably patronizing laugh lol it is nonetheless true.)

#32072 10/01/07 10:54 AM
I in no way want Louis to "curb his enthusiasm" laugh
All part and parcel of the show smile

#32073 10/01/07 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I in no way want Louis to "curb his enthusiasm" laugh
All part and parcel of the show smile
Absolutely agree! It always raises a smile when Louis does is 'pogo-ing whilst playing a riff at the same time!' dance routine! laugh

#32074 10/01/07 11:00 AM
Well said Will.

Louis has injected a special energy into the Foxx machine - long may he sing his talented little head off - and long may his synths need taping up after a gig.

mongrel

#32075 10/01/07 11:02 AM
I think Louis has a very different voice than John, be it singing or otherwise. It kind of adds something though when their both singing in 'harmony'ish'.

Its Louis dancing around the synths, thats the real issue. Its been known to make booty dvdr's jump and skip. smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.