Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Hunter:
Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
[b] Absolutely fantastic.
Thankyou Brian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b6Tu-36oW4
This is excellent John is throwing 110% behind this track and judging from this clip it sounds like his best live performance. [/b]
Excellent quality. Much praise and thanks.

So excellent. Live drums! Yes!

John Foxx hits EVERY NOTE!

Wish I'd been there.

Robin Simon: Amazing!

Been noticing, as of a few months ago, that various footage and pics of John Foxx, Clint Eastwood and Zbigniew Brzezinski almost make it appear that the three men could be from the same family.

This was the gig I have been wanting to see for a long time!! I am SO pleased to have made the journey over.

The Good
The set list was divine. A perfect balance of old and new, perhaps geared towards a mixed crowd, but it suited my taste perfectly. The crowd loved it too, judging by their actions and applause. The peak was Walk Away - powerful, and one of my favourite Foxx tracks. It was all good.

The Bad
Motors - why were they part of this?
DJ's - The music in between sets was needed and often good, but a DJ that can't operate the equipment is always going to be a liability! Having the DJ on stage makes people think they have to watch them - better out of site, out of mind, and maybe cheaper(assuming they warrant payment for services). I know this is all done under Mark Jones "Back to the Phuture" brand (in which case, how do you pronounce Phuket?), but in some cases DJ's should be in the background - heard and not seen!!

The Ugly
People like me who bought VVIP tickets. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for "access" to people like John and Gary, but at the same time I really did feel out of place. It made me really glad that I'm not famous and have to interact with a million people who know volumes about "me" whilst knowing absolutely nothing about "them". I won't be doing that again, or if I do, I'll just be happy watching the sound check and getting a feel for the pre gig atmosphere - that was actually worth a lot to me, as I do like the technical side of gigs, and am in awe of people who man sound desks, and our good forum friend Chris C, manning the lighting desk. Seeing them operate just elevates my opinion of them even more.
I'm also slightly sad to report that I only partially share Garry's view on the Numan crowd. Downstairs I believe it was quite a good atmosphere, but upstairs it seemed to be a race to drink the bar dry, with obvious consequences. SOME (minority) people were obnoxious through the gig, and got worse through the night. Problem may have stemmed from having a free bar at the beginning where people just had way too much "warming up". It got to the point where I just wasn't having fun, so went back to the VIP bar and found some people with a similar opinion!

That didn't spoil it for me though. It was great night and meeting Rob, Brigid, Phil, Fons, Lieutenant030 aand his daughter, et al was fantastic. Getting that behind the scenes glimpse was great too, but missing Garry and everyone else was annoying - something to correct later in the year I hope!

Oh, and Mirrors were not that bad! I actually enjoyed them a lot, apart from the fact that they all seemed to resemble Jimmy Carr with Andy McClusky's dancing skills!

It was more than worth it. To cap it all, I brought the family as far as the UK (they didn't go to the gig) and they had a cracking time too.

Long way for a weekend break, but one of the best weekends in recent memory for me!

smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Brigid:
Hi, everyone--back in the States, and still feeling like I'm in London...

I posted my review of the show to my blog, for what it's worth. Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/gXXD42

It was lovely to see everyone and meet some of you who I've never met before as well. Hopefully we won't have to wait long to do it again.

Enjoy! smile
Many thanks Brigid!

Great review. Yes it was a shame about the visuals, but from the front, I was totally overawed by the performance and didn't notice too much that the visuals had switched off. It's a shame that Karborn never got to show his work as I understand that these were new visuals of his. Hopefully there'll be a next time.

And glad to see you're getting to grips with London patois! laugh If Foxx goes to NYC you'll have to teach us some of yours!

B
B
Thanks, Garry! It really was a spectacular gig--I think even better than the Roundhouse, at least in terms of how it sounded. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you for the rest of the evening!

I'm sort of back from London mentally, but not really. smile Let's hope I'll be advising you on New York places to stay and meet up in the not-too-distant future! (I doubt before 2012, but I can dream...).

D
D

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
What a fantastic day out, I’ll never forget it. As the gig was happening ‘on my manor’ so to speak... The Troxy is a beautiful Art-Deco venue – the detail, the architecture, the paintwork etc all beautifully restored. All wonderful; even the very modern neon is subtle and follows the original elegant lines and curves of the place

There’s something immediately noticeably different (in comparison to The Roundhouse) from the start, and at first it’s hard to put your finger on it. Yes, immediately, it feels much more dynamic and BIG – but the sound-system at The Troxy is much better than The Roundhouse, and hearing all those analogue synths with a fantastic sound system does have it’s own shock and awe quality to it.

BUT there’s something else. And it only really dawned on me after the seriously bass’d-up über-boom of Burning Car – it’s Foxx. Well, obviously it’s Foxx, I mean – it’s his gig, but, well – this time it’s über-Foxx. His vocal performance tonight is electric. There’s a lot less FX processing (for much of the performance there doesn’t seem to be any at all) on his vocals and he’s all the better for it!

An absolutely perfect day. When’s the next one?
Quote:
Originally posted by Brigid:
I posted my review of the show to my blog, for what it's worth. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/gXXD42

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
This was the gig I have been wanting to see for a long time!! I am SO pleased to have made the journey over.

The set list was divine. A perfect balance of old and new, perhaps geared towards a mixed crowd, but it suited my taste perfectly. The crowd loved it too, judging by their actions and applause. The peak was Walk Away - powerful, and one of my favourite Foxx tracks
Thanks for your great reviews Garry, Brigid, and Chris, it’s a pleasure to read them, there's so much to absorb from your enthusiasm, observation, and insight on what seems to have been a truly memorable gig.

Having looked at the youtube clips up now and gleamed some fascinating detail from all your comments about the people and the place, such is the effect of this online world of sharing others experience its like I’m recalling a dream of almost having been there (if only) - but sadly its more like having to settle instead for the equivalent of one that’s been implanted in the brain by the Tyrell Corporation, (and very soon I’ll be making a paper unicorn next laugh )

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
This was the gig I have been wanting to see for a long time!! I am SO pleased to have made the journey over. smile
Hi Chris,

Shame we didn’t get to see each other – maybe next time! (pleasepleasepleaseanaloguegods-let there be a next time) Great review; thanks to Brigid and yourself, I now have a perfect view from the balcony…will avoid the bar though! laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Darren A. Peace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wjA7ieQL0
This is a neat omnibus Darren! Great stuff! Makes you want to hear more!

F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Darren A. Peace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wjA7ieQL0
Nice footage too Darren, looking at the angle you were standing next to a few of us here laugh

This is really good but at that same time I am frustrated. I want more!

What makes it worse is that its plainly clear that this was a better gig than the roundhouse. I chose the wrong gig to come and see. I am really thinking of coming over again this year if there are more gigs. I might even bring my wife. She doesnt like foxx. She is Brasillian and she just did not get into this electronic stuff. But what the heck.....Maybe seeing Foxx might change her mind.

Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.