Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#31532 07/21/10 12:44 PM
A
Adam L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but the other day I heard the song 'Airport' by The Motors on the radio and immediately thought 'They've ripped off 'No-One Driving'!

However, upon Googling I see that 'Airport' was released as a single in 1978.

You can hear a clip of the song here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motors

I'm talking about the melody in the chorus.

+A

Hi Adam.

Sorry, I couldnt see much similarity.

C
C
Haven't heard that song in a very long time, recall now that I really loved its uplifting piano and chorus. What I would say now is that its got all the right foundations, just needs our John to come along and sprinkle some Foxxian magic on it, surely one for the cover treatment (I think we've got a forum thread on that).

"so many destinations, faces going through so many places" cool
perhaps John was moonlighting with this band back in '78, and I think we need to know.

Wiki states they had a single in 1980 called 'That's What John Said'.

The plot thickens... laugh

A
Adam L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Listen at 0:38 in the Wiki page excerpt.

"Airport!" ... then a little 6 note melody which is the same as the 6 note melody following "There's no-one driving" ...

+A

Yes we have discussed it already but you did right to bring it up again...always makes me smile!
laugh

Administrator
Administrator
If you were at The Brunel Rooms in Swindon on 3rd October 1977, you could have seen John Foxx (with the U band) and The Motors on the same set!!

cool

Which of course will be the source of where he nicked that riff from... wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I
I
Yes and "dancing like a gun" is just a reworking of MY SHARONA by THE KNACK and THE GARDEN is a plagiarised verson of JOHN MILES MUSIC
Only joking I guess it's been pretty hard to be original since the days of Beethoven Someone's bound to hear influences from somewhere else
Anyway my award for "THE JOHN FOXX SONG THAT SOUNDS AS IF IT'S BEEN LIFTED FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE " Goes to ......
:
:
:
:
any excuse to post the delightful Ms Wilde and a boss synth intro to boot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzdHxqwTO-4

We're the kids , we're the kids we're the kids with the broken furniture ! laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Never mind the sound. Looks like Ms Wilde saw a few of John's videos while she was gathering ideas for this... :p

And she is Dancing Like a Foxx as well!!

Nice post Ivan.
As you say, any excuse is perfectly justified laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
F
F
she even used Johns Luxaflex!! eek

H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam L:
Listen at 0:38 in the Wiki page excerpt.

"Airport!" ... then a little 6 note melody which is the same as the 6 note melody following "There's no-one driving" ...

+A
That riff is also very similar to the one off another 1980s synthpop classic - "Nowhere Girl" by B-Movie.

See what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULPWNTeJWCQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.