Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#28135 05/30/08 07:25 PM
I've always been a great fan of John's non album tracks since I first heard Film 1. At least it made buying the vinyl worthwhile. Looking though all the tracks that Martin listed there's not one I dislike but the outstanding track for me is Dance With Me. I feel John puts a lot of emotion and sentiment into his vocals on this, almost to the point where John is pleading with someone to dance with him.

I've always found The Golden Section to have been one of Johns most "romantic" feeling albums.

Also Martin the list you have made would make an excellent album of John's work laugh

Peter

#28136 05/30/08 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:

I've always found The Golden Section to have been one of Johns most "romantic" feeling albums.

I agree ! (sigh,swoon) laugh

#28137 05/30/08 07:38 PM
the lifting sky is one of my favourite tracks!

#28138 05/30/08 08:05 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:

Also Martin the list you have made would make an excellent album of John's work laugh
Wouldn't it just!!

But what would it be called...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#28139 05/30/08 09:57 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Now here's a thing eek

I could be mistaken, but...

Does the introduction to 'A Woman on a Stairway' (which is one of the best of the above) bear any resemblance to a piece of music on the 1988 Shrewsbury Cathedral Oceans boot??

I think it does.
Certainly has a distant familiarity. There is something somewhere...

I'm so enjoying these songs again. Gold against the grey cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#28140 05/31/08 08:01 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by bluepicasso:
I think it's an excellent song. When I finally got my hands on the Golden Section, I simply fell for all the extra songs. The hidden sleeper is A Woman on the Stairway. It's a highlight for me. The lyrics are really well done.
A Woman On A Stairway reminds me a lot of the Endlessly video with John and some unknown woman (who may have been his French girlfriend of the time) on a spiral staircase.

#28141 05/31/08 08:03 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
One of my all time favourite Foxx tracks. Period.

Everytime I play it, I feel compelled to also play A Kind of Wave as well.
A Kind of Wave doesn't really do much for me. The vocals sound rather muddy too.

#28142 05/31/08 08:25 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
I like The Lifting Sky just as much as I like Young Man. It reminds me more of 'Your Dress' than 'A Kind Of Wave'.
Ah, yes, Your Dress. Another interesting song. Also another one where he delves into his ideas about clothes.
Quote:

I've mentioned Annexe, but I like 99% of the b-sides/extra tracks that have been released, apart from Stairway, which I think was the b-side of Enter The Angel.
That's interesting! The B-side of Enter The Angel is called Stairway. Is that different from A Woman On A Stairway (B-side of Your Dress)?

#28143 05/31/08 08:34 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Here's a list of the whole batch of songs that fit this category:
Just playing the whole lot through now (again, again...) and it's quite an incredible body of work.
For 'extra tracks', I would imagine most of us have a couple of all-time favourite Foxx songs in this list??
Yes. Ever since I first heard This Jungle I used to wonder why he relegated some great songs to the B-sides of singles. I always thought This Jungle was good enough to be a single in its own right. Imagine if it came out as a double A-side with This City.

Even the Swimmers were great instrumental tracks.
Quote:

Yes The Lifting Sky and yes A Kind of Wave, but what about the very, very wonderful song that is A Woman on a Stairway or City of Light.
Actually, this is another one that has that 'fa fa fa, faa, fa, fa...oooh ooh ooh' thing going on which just seems to work.

How many of John's 'best loved' songs are not among his primary output?
We really need a poll, don't we?
Quote:

For instance, as many people know - and some have the audacity to disagree with eek - Underwater Dreamsex is a contender for my all time favourite Foxx tune.

Great thread. More please...
I only just got The Drive EP the other day. I've only played UD once or twice so far. I think I'd better play it again! wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.