Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#23743 05/26/07 01:46 PM
i think it would be nice if here would be topics for all the albums where people would post reviews and discuss about the albums.

i've always liked in mysterious ways, it's very different from the other ones and the production sounds kind of "cheap", but still it's a fine album.

#23744 05/26/07 02:45 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
[QUOTE]Originally posted by psychocandy:
i think it would be nice if here would be topics for all the albums where people would post reviews and discuss about the albums.

i think that's what I'm trying to start here. Good idea!
Almost need more than just a thread per album though - maybe even different sections in the forum?

Some of the others don't get visited much...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#23745 05/28/07 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by psychocandy:
[qb] i think it would be nice if here would be topics for all the albums where people would post reviews and discuss about the albums.

i think that's what I'm trying to start here. Good idea!
Almost need more than just a thread per album though - maybe even different sections in the forum?
If 'Metamatic' is the first of several early solo albums to be released as a double album, then sections for each would be great!!

#23746 05/28/07 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
I could do a simpler review of it by saying "It's basically crap mid-to-late-80s-production values bollocks....... but MORNING GLORY is still very nice" smile
Most things in the 80s were crap ie paul young and level 42. Even though its not great it was certanly far superior to the other tosh that was around.

#23747 05/28/07 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by robert:
Most things in the 80s were crap ie paul young and level 42. Even though its not great it was certanly far superior to the other tosh that was around.
i think most things in 80s were great! musically my fave decade ever!

#23748 05/28/07 05:36 PM
80s were fantastic I still live there.

#23749 05/28/07 08:06 PM
C
C
I´m also there, particularly the early eighties, and the tail end of the seventies. A very romantic and arty period. Always a joy to revisit it night and day!

Chris C laugh

#23750 05/28/07 10:13 PM
I listened to IMW today. I had nothing better to do because of the weather and even though I know all the songs I still find it IMHO Johns weakest album. There's no bite to it. The only way I can descride it is slushy and romantic. IMHO IWM tried to be too commercial and music for the masses. It didn't pay off, then we had a long wait for John to stumble across Louis and get back to what John does best.

I wondered to myself what it would sound like if John and Louis were to re-do some of the songs now.

Peter smile

#23751 05/28/07 10:23 PM
It's not an album that appeals to me at all - not on any level. For me he'd lost his way - it's just not John Foxx.

It does prove his versatility though and it's probably his strongest vocal work. But in comparison to his other albums, and unlike them, it's so typical of its time, but not in a way that appeals to me.

#23752 05/28/07 11:19 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
[QUOTE]Originally posted by metal beat:
IMHO IWM tried to be too commercial and music for the masses.

You see, now I disagree.
I really don't believe IMW is a 'commercial' album at all. It's considerably more individual than The Golden Section and those irritating thumb-tapping basslines that were everywhere in 1983.
I think TGS was the do-or-die, write-a-hit-song-or-bust album.
It didn't work, so by the time he wrote IMW, JF had giving up trying to be anything other than himself. It is his most personal album in that respect.

Originally posted by Alex S:
it's just not John Foxx.

To my mind, this is what makes it a VERY John Foxx album. It is one of his most original pieces of work
I would agree that musically it is not great, but it is richer in ideas than some of the work he has produced since.
Yes he's tired and lost. But my point is that you can REALLY feel that…

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.