Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22811 02/05/07 05:53 PM
-27315 Offline OP
OP Offline
My Face on a floppy seven inch single? I recall purchasing Smash hits I think it was and on the front of the magazine was this yellow floppy single. I still have it at home and I can remember oh so clearly playing it years ago and it made my hair stand on end. Has anyone else had the privilege of owning this rather unique copy of John's genius???

#22812 02/05/07 06:51 PM
I still have my original copy of My Face from Smash hits. I know it's not valuable but it's nice to have if only for nostalgic reasons. I haven't played it since Modern Art came out but I remember having to play it upside down at 33rpm and having to put a 2p coin near the middle so the disc wouldn't slip whilst it was being played.
Peter

#22813 02/05/07 08:02 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by -27315:
[b]My Face on a floppy seven inch single? I recall purchasing Smash hits I think it was and on the front of the magazine was this yellow floppy single. I still have it at home and I can remember oh so clearly playing it years ago and it made my hair stand on end. Has anyone else had the privilege of owning this rather unique copy of John's genius??? [/b]
Yeah I've got a copy, and I remember having to go and buy another one as I tore the cover tying to remove it. The cover featured a pic of Gary Numan as there was a Telekon tour diary inside. :rolleyes:

Rob

#22814 02/05/07 08:31 PM
Talking of Smash Hits, I got 'The Best of S H 80's' book bought me for xmas. It's got all the covers in it from the 80's and there are 2 which mention JF. Both from 1980 - March 20-April 2 and August 7-20 (with Bob Marley on cover).

Anyone got these? I wish I had. I got rid of a load of old mags years ago and wish that I hadn't been so stupid! :rolleyes:

Sarah B
xx

#22815 02/06/07 01:07 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I've still got that floppy 7" yellow thing somewhere. I've also got the Smash-Hits "My Face" flexi-single. laugh Sadly, I'm just as sure that it's in disgraceful condition, what with me being a careless 14-year-old at the time, but like Peter said, I now have Modern Art, so not a big deal that it's damaged now...

#22816 02/06/07 07:10 AM
M
M
I remember My Face (no pun or quote intended)flexi disc. I also remember having Nash The Slash - Swing Shift & OMD - Pretending To See The Future on a blue flexi.

#22817 02/06/07 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
I remember My Face (no pun or quote intended)flexi disc. I also remember having Nash The Slash - Swing Shift & OMD - Pretending To See The Future on a blue flexi.
Me too - I wonder where they went? confused smile

#22818 02/06/07 09:24 AM
I've got my flexi still...somewhere! They were great to look at, harder to listen to though! Did anyone else get the Adam and the Ants one called 'A.N.T.S.'? It was a re-working of Village People's 'Y.M.C.A.' - really funny!

I'm pretty sure I've got a Psychedelic Furs single where the sleeve art was like a flexi and you could play the sleeve as well as the record - honest! I sound mad now - think I'll go and have a lie down, as I'm probably not remembering it correctly!

#22819 02/06/07 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Havocman:
Quote:
[b] I remember My Face (no pun or quote intended)flexi disc. I also remember having Nash The Slash - Swing Shift & OMD - Pretending To See The Future on a blue flexi.
Me too - I wonder where they went? confused smile [/b]
I also have a Depeche Mode one: "Sometimes I wish I was Dead. ". I think.

One of them has Fad Gadget "Lord of the Flies" on it, as well.

#22820 02/06/07 01:40 PM
C
C
I had a 'Smash Hits' christmas flexi-disc. It was black, and was 'allegedly' the Smash Hits Christmas Party, with loads of pop stars such as the Duranies, Spandaus, Adam Ant, and other, 'popping in', accompanied by some special effects of doors opening, general merriment, jingle bells, and howling winds. The disc was sponsored by Black Levis so was interspersed with adverts for said garments - basically three trainee Santas complaining to their boss that they couldn't wear black levis. Very funny, has been the basis of my humour for at least 25 years.
Cheers

#22821 02/06/07 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
I had a 'Smash Hits' christmas flexi-disc. It was black, and was 'allegedly' the Smash Hits Christmas Party, with loads of pop stars such as the Duranies, Spandaus, Adam Ant, and other, 'popping in', accompanied by some special effects of doors opening, general merriment, jingle bells, and howling winds. The disc was sponsored by Black Levis so was interspersed with adverts for said garments - basically three trainee Santas complaining to their boss that they couldn't wear black levis. Very funny, has been the basis of my humour for at least 25 years.
Cheers
This has brought back some memories and made me feel very old....

#22822 02/06/07 02:12 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Quote:
Originally posted by Havocman:
[b]
Quote:
[b] I remember My Face (no pun or quote intended)flexi disc. I also remember having Nash The Slash - Swing Shift & OMD - Pretending To See The Future on a blue flexi.
Me too - I wonder where they went? confused smile [/b]
I also have a Depeche Mode one: "Sometimes I wish I was Dead. ". I think.

One of them has Fad Gadget "Lord of the Flies" on it, as well. [/b]
yah, I had that one too! Was there one with Soft Cell on?

#22823 02/06/07 02:16 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I've got my flexi still...somewhere! They were great to look at, harder to listen to though! Did anyone else get the Adam and the Ants one called 'A.N.T.S.'? It was a re-working of Village People's 'Y.M.C.A.' - really funny!

I'm pretty sure I've got a Psychedelic Furs single where the sleeve art was like a flexi and you could play the sleeve as well as the record - honest! I sound mad now - think I'll go and have a lie down, as I'm probably not remembering it correctly!
Had that one as well. I was an A&TA fan at the time. Very much into Kings Of The Wild Frontier lp at the time. I bought Dirk Wears White Sox on cd a year or so ago. Best album of theirs, without a doubt.

#22824 02/06/07 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by -27315:
Has anyone else had the privilege of owning this rather unique copy of John's genius???
It was just another ordinary album track for me, because it's on the Canadian John Foxx LP. It wasn't until the Age of the Internet that I realized it was an obscure rarity in the UK. It's a darn good tune, so it's surprising it was only on a flexi until relatively recently.

#22825 02/06/07 03:33 PM
Am I the only one who thinks there is a remarkable similarity between 'You Were There' on The Garden and 'My Face'?

#22826 02/06/07 04:56 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Am I the only one who thinks there is a remarkable similarity between 'You Were There' on The Garden and 'My Face'?
Yes, they are very similar. I assume John reworked My Face & wrote new lyrics & it then became You Were There.

Have you noticed the similarity between Walk Away & No-One Driving?

#22827 02/07/07 02:27 AM
I just assumed that "My Face" was the demo and "You were there" was the finished article,same drum pattern,same beat,different arrangement,different lyrics!
Plenty of other artists have done the same.

#22828 02/07/07 09:54 AM
H
H
Fond memories indeed of Smash Hits and the old flexidiscs. It probably seems bizarre to kids today, but back then the concept of a magazine giving away free music was so bizarre that you'd keep the flexidics even if you didn't like the band!
Equally odd is that, back in the "Golden Age of Synthpop" (1980-1983), Smash Hits was one of the few magazines where you could read about your favourite bands. The weekly music press (memorably once described by John as "Clowns, Melody Faker and New Musical Excess" (!) ) were very snooty about anything that didn't feature guitars and the concept of monthly music magazines such as Q and The Word was unheard of. As the 1980s progressed and music became less interesting, Smash Hits went downmarket and finished up as little more than a marketing brochure selling boybands to teenage girls.

Could I also add another free flexidisc to the others mentioned on this thread - I had one featuring both The Skids and XTC (I think the tracks were "The Olympian" and "Ten Feet Tall" respectively.)

#22829 02/09/07 10:12 PM
F
F
I still have a copy of my face from smash hits it's in my parents loft complrete with mice teeth nibbles. Did anyone have one by the Skids think it was called Chrade?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.