Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#21505 12/02/10 07:56 PM
I was wary of buying Olympia. I love Boys And Girls,Bete Noir and Mamouma but wasn't mad on Frantic which led me to avoid The Dylan album. However after reading Alex's comments on the new album and a few reviews in the press I bought it. I'm glad I did. Classic Ferry. I'm not a big fan of covers but love his version of Song To The Siren. Some excellent Ferry penned songs too.

I bought the new Brian Eno album recently as I'm a big fan and own all his essential releases. Some interesting stuff. From typically beautiful atmospheric tracks to more rhythm based stuff. It doesn't come close to his best work but worth a listen nevertheless.

#21506 12/03/10 09:50 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm glad my review helped smile

I must admit I prefer Ferry's own songs to covers, particularly on Olympia, although as you say "Song to the Siren" is one of the stand outs and if anything, you'd think it was a Ferry original (I don't know the original at all). I also avoided the Dylan album, but that's because I don't like Dylan.

1993's Taxi album was very good though. In my opinion, his version of "I Put A Spell On You" is one of the best solo tracks he ever recorded. Same band line up/sessions as Mamouna and a curious choice of songs from the 60s and earlier; many very well known, but given a full Ferry makeover.

#21507 12/06/10 11:44 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I'm glad my review helped smile

I must admit I prefer Ferry's own songs to covers, particularly on Olympia, although as you say "Song to the Siren" is one of the stand outs and if anything, you'd think it was a Ferry original (I don't know the original at all). I also avoided the Dylan album, but that's because I don't like Dylan.

1993's Taxi album was very good though. In my opinion, his version of "I Put A Spell On You" is one of the best solo tracks he ever recorded. Same band line up/sessions as Mamouna and a curious choice of songs from the 60s and earlier; many very well known, but given a full Ferry makeover.
Just a note on "Taxi" - overall really good, I especially like "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?". But what WAS he thinking on "Amazing Grace"?? eek

#21508 12/07/10 10:56 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
It does let it down a bit, yeah!

"Rescue Me" was another highlight - turning a well-known 60s song completely upside down.

#21509 04/06/11 07:47 AM

#21510 04/06/11 09:05 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh no!!

#21511 04/07/11 08:16 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Apparently he's OK now, and has been let out. Phew!

#21512 04/08/11 03:02 AM
The first record I ever bought at 13 years old was "Street Life". It was funny later on in life when I started to like Ultravox (with Foxx) that the reason why many people said that Ultravox were NOT sucessful was because they copied Roxy Music. Particulary with Systems. Maybe it was just because they were signed to Island too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0K2Kzu1go0&feature=related

I still like Roxy...

One thing I have been thinking about tonight is when John Foxx in an NME interview described Systems of Romance "like dragging your face across concrete". Well... Something very close to that..

#21513 04/08/11 08:30 AM
Administrator
Administrator
I think you're referring to the 'original' (guitar led) version of Hiroshima Mon Amour here, which wwas released on the B-side of the ROckWrok single in '77.

Now available on Ha!Ha!Ha!

Sorry, don't mean to go off topic

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Bryan Ferry live concert on Radio 2 now

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.