Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#21485 10/26/10 01:45 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Thought I' d share my first impressions of Ferry's new solo album...

Olympia is quintessential Bryan Ferry – from the clean, classy design and typography to the Roxy-esque photographs of Kate Moss. It certainly feels like a high quality product, the CD and DVD housed in a hardbacked book format with good printing, on thick, glossy paper for the inner pages.

The mood of Olympia is sombre and reflective; Ferry sings with a lovelorn, melancholic tone, his vocals older and huskier. Echoes of Avalon and Boys and Girls drift through the music, and lyrically there are countless of references to the past, almost as if Ferry is looking back over his long career and repertoire of songs made up of film noire and tragic love stories.

The album gets of to a stirring start with "You Can Dance"; a song takes you straight back into the late night European imagery of albums such as Mamouna or Bête Noire. "Alphaville" is another immediate highlight; typically Ferry through and through. "Oh Me Oh My", is an instant hit, and leaves the lyric "I wish I could stay, but I'm just passing through" resonating in your mind. "Shameless", is perhaps the album's most catchy track, with a classic Ferry groove and addictive melody. The quiver in Ferry's fragile vocal sets the song alight with emotion, as he croons from the shadows of a lifetime of rock 'n' roll. "Reason or Rhyme" stands out at one of the best tracks Ferry has ever produced, with a gorgeous melody, haunting lyrics and an ambience to completely lose yourself in.

Atmosphere and mood are key elements on any Bryan Ferry album, and combined with superb musicianship, there is no exception to that rule on Olympia. The list of guest musicians is quite incredible, although there are times when it sounds like they're all playing at the same time, and Ferry is lost in the crowd; his voice drowned out and indecipherable. The production work is impeccable, although perhaps sometimes over-produced, leaving you wanting to go into the mix and bring out the vocals.

Olympia is arguably Bryan Ferry's finest work since 1994's Mamouna, although for me, that album was his master work, setting an exceptionally high standard, so it's certainly pleasing that Olympia comes pretty close.

#21486 10/26/10 08:08 PM
Thanks for the review Alex! (I thought it would take another month for the album to come out, so it's a big surprise)

If it's the next best thing (compared to 'Mamouna'), I will surely buy it.
First thing tomorrow after work ... wink

#21487 10/26/10 09:56 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I do believe the video to You Can Dance was fimed at Wiltons Music Hall?

Probably the most beautiful building in London

But Bryan Ferry's "Olympia" vs Brian Eno's "Small Craft"??

http://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978632887

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#21488 10/27/10 08:34 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Didn't know Eno had new material out - although his stuff has never been to my taste, so I don't follow what he's up to. Prefer his production work to actual music - I find it so ambient, it might as well be "off"! wink

Back on Ferry, and I'm finding the album to be quite a grower. The special edition version comes with a DVD including the "You Can Dance" video and a 30-minute making-of documentary, which is really good and allows you to appreciate more the work that went into the album and the contributions of the various guest musicians.

We've got a couple of promo videos already.

YOU CAN DANCE promo video
SHAMELESS video

#21489 10/27/10 11:19 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Didn't know Eno had new material out - although his stuff has never been to my taste, so I don't follow what he's up to. Prefer his production work to actual music - I find it so ambient, it might as well be "off"!
Really?

Admitedly, some of Eno's work can be a little 'slow moving' at times (I'm thinking of the album Thursday Afternoon), but there are also some incredible albums out there - particularly Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks ...

Rob

#21490 10/27/10 12:09 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Well to be honest, I don't know much of his work at all - but what I have heard hasn't been for me, which was mainly his earlier albums, the one with David Byrne and and one with a white sleeve he did about ten years ago.

As I said earlier, I much prefer his production work and contributions to other's albums - almost like he's a living quality hallmark! if he's on there, it's guaranteed to be good.

#21491 10/27/10 12:14 PM
Good brian ferry career in video thing here

#21492 10/27/10 12:48 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I do believe the video to You Can Dance was fimed at Wiltons Music Hall?

Probably the most beautiful building in London

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#21493 10/27/10 01:42 PM
I have most of Eno's albums.I would recommend the following.

Vocal Albums

Here Come The Warm Jets (1974)
Taking Tiger Mountain(By Strategy)(1974)
Another Green World (1975)
Before And After Science (1977)

Instrumental Albums

Discreet Music (1975)
Music For Films (1978)
Music For Airports (1978)
Apollo:Atmospheres And Soundtracks (1983)

I could go on and on......

#21494 10/27/10 05:34 PM
T
T
Hi Alex

Thanks for your impressions. I have to admit I don't really like the visual look of this album (nothing against Kate Moss either). But your comparison with "Mamouna" (which I love) gives me a reason to give it a go!

cheers

Mark

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.