Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18800 12/16/08 10:56 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Something for you two You'll appreciate it from the cycling point of view Gazza , whilst you Marco will probably appreciate from an historical setting I'd recommend it

Cultural note "The She" was a mid Late 70's Meeerseyside"grab a granny" club I'm sure Hereford/North London had them too Ironically you might end up with the same mother but listening to Barry White instead of Demis Roussos in totally different circumstances !!! laugh

http://everton.rivals.net/news/pgArticle.aspx?artid=12998_4652863&id=33

#18801 12/16/08 11:47 AM
Thanks Ivan - what a great review (not sure about the first line though wink ), I'm annoyed now as it's unlikely I'll ever get to see it.

Early on, we learn that the Bartali family is strapped for cash, and Bartali pere is unconvinced about his two sons becoming cyclists; even the top professionals did not make much more than a labourer in those days. The two brothers are inseparable: they train together and promise never to race against one another. This pact is tragically brought to an end thouigh, as the younger brother Giulio is killed during a race, when he crashes into an oncoming car. The mother wants Gino to stop, and he goes off to a monastery to be a general skivvy. It's his fiancée who turns up and persuades him to start racing again, and he duly wins the Giro d'Italia.

Superb writing as always. All I can track down is The Gino Bartali Story - The Lion Of Tuscany voice over by Phil Liggett - a used VHS cassette on Amazon for £80!!! eek

Incidentally, I've just finished reading Kings of the Mountains: How Colombia's Cycling Heroes Shaped Their Nations' History by Matt Rendell. A brilliant, well researched account of all the legends, politics and history of Columbia; Zipa, Cochise, guerilla warfare, Escobar etc.

I'm now starting on The Boys From White Hart Lane: Spurs in the 80s - the Players' Stories by Martin Cloake and Adam Powley. It's a 'wart's n all' story from many of the players - it starts just after promotion back into Division One and the arrival of Villa and Ardilles in '78 and finishes around the UEFA Anderlecht game in '84 - got my copy signed by Stevie Perryman! laugh

#18802 12/16/08 12:17 PM
Thanks Ivan : I'm no pushbiking man as you know yet anything to with contemporary Italian history is of course right up my strada (BA Hons degree in Italian Studies probably to blame).
Excellent write up but tut tut you ain't quoted your original source - what DVD are we actually talking about ..? Is it the recent RAI produced 'fiction' two-parter with Pierfrancesco Favino* in the lead role? If so I've seen it!
(*Check him out in Romanzo Criminale - the film version - too.)

Acquaiolo! laugh

#18803 12/16/08 12:50 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Rads: Cheers, all that praise I'm blushing here. As Phil Liggett and myself are almost phonetically the same I can do the voice over !!
Seriously tho if I find anything with English subtitles I'll get it across to you Those books sound good I've seen Perryman many a time at GP and once darnt'Lern Btw I asked in my e mail is Frau Radler an Owl or a Blade ? Talking of cycling books have you read "French Revolutions" ? An amateur tackles the TDF course on his own excellent stuff If you haven't I'll dig it out for you
Membs : spot on Did you enjoy the two parter ? I'll check that film out Thanks

#18804 12/16/08 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:

Membs : spot on Did you enjoy the two parter ? I'll check that film out Thanks
yes indeed - think it's the only RAI fiction I've ever manged to watch as they're usually so dreadful, but they couldn't go wrong with the 'Gino nazionale' eh?
Did I ever tell you I recently met a bloke called Fausto Coppi? His parents sure had a sense of humour.... wink

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.