Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
My votes going to Wizzard's timeless and brilliant "I wish it could be Xmas every day" , just shading out the Pogue's gritty social realism (a bit to close to home for me ) and Slade's brilliant stomper
What about you ?

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
My votes going to Wizzard's timeless and brilliant "I wish it could be Xmas every day" , just shading out the Pogue's gritty social realism (a bit to close to home for me ) and Slade's brilliant stomper
What about you ?
Probably Wham's "Last Christmas", again just shading out the Pogues.

If we were to veer away from the charts, I would say The Flaming Lips "A Change At Christmas (Say It Isn't So)" and Pet Shop Boys "It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas" - both absolute genius.

Probably the Pouges one for me,non chart would have to be Cocteau twins "Frosty the snowman" sublime vocals,never heard the Pet shop boys one would be interesting to hear.
A freind does a comp most years of Alternative xmas songs and he's found some real beuts(but some stinkers too smile )

Ha! Ha! ..I knew this one was coming Ivan! wink

Anyway I too plump for ver Slade's 'Merry xmas everybody' (spelling?) and Wizzard's 'Wish it could be Xmas...'. Greg Lake's 'I Believe in Father Xmas' also on the MemberD list.

Mind you just heard Wham's 'Last Xmas ' on the radio which managed to touch a soft-spot somewhere..and I realised I know all the words when a colleague asked me to translate the damn thing!

Off-Xmas theme but still inextricably asociated with said Christian fest are PSB's 'Always On My Mind' and The Human League's Don't You Want Me'...(quickly nips over the Xmas party thread..)

I'm gonna go for Slade;

a) because it's great and,
b) it's becoming a revolution song against the Nathan Barley' classes and is clearly getting right up their pretentious noses;

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/slade-christmas-hit-banned

As Ziggy Stardust once said;

PLAY AT MAXIMUM VOLUME

IT'S CHRIIIIIIISMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!! laugh

I've always liked The Waitresses 'Christmas Wrapping'. A great tune, a little bit cheesy and enormous fun.

smile

EG

Old Jona Lewie with "Stop The Cavalry".
Apparently, the song was never intended as a Christmas hit, but the line 'Wish I was at home for Christmas' as well as the brass band arrangements made it an appropriately styled song to play around Christmas time.

Listen our for an electronic version coming up on the "festive" Robo Cast show out later this week Robo Cast Radio

Excellent choices..I can feel a playlist coming on.

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Ha! Ha! ..I knew this one was coming Ivan! wink

Off-Xmas theme but still inextricably asociated with said Christian fest are PSB's 'Always On My Mind' and The Human League's Don't You Want Me'...(quickly nips over the Xmas party thread..)
Yep, good call there! Greg Lake's tune was also adopted by Christmas. Departure Lounge's "Christmas Downer" and Paul Haig's "Christiana" are also worth a mention in the humbug corner.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.