Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1744 02/22/11 02:08 PM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Today seems as good a day as any to tell you all that I've decided to no longer run the Metamatic Forum. Instead, I'm going redirect my spare time and efforts into redesigning, developing and expanding the rest of the site. I've been helped in this work by Martin Smith who has also very kindly offered to take over The Forum.

I'm also going to 'step away' from co-running The Forum over at EV as well - leaving that in the very capable hands of Cerise Reed.

There are (inevitably) a few things which still need to be sorted out - but very soon Metamatic will have the distinction of having the very first Forum which is powered by Birdsong. laugh

Rob

#1745 02/22/11 02:42 PM
Very sad to read this,Rob.
But I can understand your decision - you done a LOT of work for this site and Extreme Voice.

For all this excellent work over all those years I like to thank you very much. It was great to be a member of YOUR! site! and met you in person. I hope we meet again one day ( John Foxx gig).

Martin - all the best for your new job. I'm sure the forum is in good hands too after Rob's great work... wink

Thank you both
Andreas

#1746 02/22/11 02:46 PM
We know we'll be in safe hands (or feathers?) with Birdsong.

As somebody with several websites myself, I can thoroughly understand that they're not always a priority in life and sometimes you just have to concentrate on certain things. So with that in mind, I'm sure we'll all look forward to the new website!

Thank you Rob for such a great forum, your posts, updates and general enthusiasm for all things Foxx. And good luck with the site!

#1747 02/22/11 02:57 PM
H
H
Yes, thanks to Rob for maintaining this much appreciated outlet for we small but dedicated band of Foxx fans and for not getting (too) annoyed when the same questions get asked several times a year (when is the "The Quiet Man" book out, BTW? wink )

Nice to know that other sections of the site will receive an update and that the forum remains in safe hands.

#1748 02/22/11 03:48 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Hi everyone

Thanks for your encouraging words.

As Rob said, I have been helping him with plans and research etc for the website, and we are really looking forward to that now moving on.

I have taken over as administrator at the forum as of - er, now!! - and I look forward to carryng on the good name we have built up over the years.

On the face of it, there won't be much change of course, other than a bit of re-shuffling here and there as I come to familiarise myself with the software.
This place has a great reputation as one of the freindliest and 'best' music forums around, so thanks to everyone involved for that. As far as I'm concerned, its going to stay that way!!

Rob's worked tirelessly flying the flag for Foxxy since the beginning of time, so it's good to have his faith and trust in me to work alongside. As John Foxx output gets more prolific and his profile gets higher, there just doesn't seem to be time to keep up!

As for metamatic.com - well, watch this space! wink

Powered by birdsong - Lovin' it!! laugh laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#1749 02/22/11 04:06 PM
I've used many forums over the years – I even met my wife on one – but this is the only one that I've never drifted from. Never seen petty disagreements on or nasty behaviour. It's as good as a night down the local with mates.

Opinions may differ, thoughts may be spoken, but done so knowing comments will usually be met my likeminded folk, always up for a discussion. Not only do we share the love of all things Foxx, but a plethora of other artists and interests. It's great when you find out you share an interest or have something in common.

Even during quiet times on the Foxx front, there's always something to discuss here. I've certainly made a good few friends on here and the Internet really wouldn't be the same without it.

#1750 02/22/11 04:20 PM
Firstly Rob, thank you for all your time in running the Metamatic forum. I know I haven't been an avid poster recently but I still read the forum most days.

For me the one good thing about this particular forum, that there has hardly been any major disputes between folk, just good ol' fashioned banter. The world would be boring if we all thought the same.

If it wasn't for this forum (and EV) I wouldn't have met soooooooo many good friends.

Welcome to you Martin and wish you all the luck in running the forum. I hope we don't stress you out too much.

Peter

#1751 02/22/11 04:27 PM
I would would just like to echo the previous posts. Thanks Rob for running the forum for all this time and allowing us the chance to chat about all things Foxxian. I hope that you will still share your knowledge and opinions of John's work on here for time to time.

I would like to wish Martin a warm welcome to his new role and look forward to his continuing posts full of enthusiasm for John's work. All the best.

#1752 02/22/11 04:47 PM
S
S
Thanks for your hard work you put into this Rob & I'm sure Martin will continue the good job.

#1753 02/22/11 05:34 PM
Thankyou Rob for all the time you have given so freely over the years. This has always been a great site. And thanks in advance to Martin for the same.

#1754 02/22/11 05:49 PM
Sorry to read that you're bowing out Rob, but I'm sure Martin will continue the fantastic hard work that has made this forum and this site what it is. Don't be a stranger though eh? wink

Congratulations on your new job Martin!

Garry

#1755 02/22/11 06:19 PM
Sorry to see you go from the forum Rob. But knowing you as we do, I am sure the website update you've hinted at will be fantastic and when it arrives will make us remember that you've not gone at all.

smile

By the way, as you are signing off from the forum, it's probably the time to gently remind you that you still owe me a pint. I'm in no hurry, no rush; take your time, etc...

smile

All the best.

EG

#1756 02/22/11 07:04 PM
can only echo what has already been said,thank you and good luck. laugh

#1757 02/22/11 08:07 PM
F
F
The King is dead. Long live the King! laugh

Thanks for all your time and effort Rob!
I hope this isnt the last we have seen from you, do stick around in here as a visitor smile
Martin, give the man VIP status! wink

I am sure Martin will do his utmost best to equal the quality in running the forum, good luck Martin! smile

cheerios,
fons

#1758 02/22/11 11:07 PM
I can happily endorse all of the comments already made.

Thanks for everything Rob - and best wishes to Martin.

#1759 02/23/11 08:53 AM
Rob .... you've done a great service to all things Foxxian.
Brian ... good luck carrying on the good works.

PS ... Does this mean it's all going to get pretentious?
laugh

#1760 02/23/11 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MintyTux:
Rob .... you've done a great service to all things Foxxian.
Brian ... good luck carrying on the good works.

PS ... Does this mean it's all going to get pretentious?
laugh
I think you mean Martin smile

I echo all of the above,all the best to Rob & Martin

#1761 02/23/11 01:04 PM
Thanks Rob and good luck Martin. Looking forward to the new metamatic.com

Mark

#1762 02/23/11 07:07 PM
C
C
It's about time we had fresh blood, the forum has been so staid of late and must be down to Rob. However, I'm not entirely sure that Martin's the best replacement, he's a bit lacksadasicle at the best of time with all the distractions of the feathered variety. I only hope his involvement is minimal.
Cheers

#1763 02/23/11 07:08 PM
C
C
laugh

#1764 02/23/11 07:12 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Craig

Your message contains an incorrect spelling. Under the new regime, there is no place for such grammatical tardiness.

You are hereby notified that your account will be closed and you will be banned from the forum and removed from the mailing list forthwith if such a thing happens again.

Forum Admin

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#1765 02/23/11 07:44 PM
Administrator
Administrator
laugh

#1766 02/23/11 07:51 PM
F
F
posted 23-02-2011 20:12, posted 23-02-2011 20:44

That brought in quite a bit of tension laugh

#1767 02/23/11 10:49 PM
B
B
I think Martin should ban anyone who can't use your/you're properly, or their/there/they're properly.

wink

And I think I said this on Twitter--congrats, Martin! Rob made a good choice, though we will miss him.

#1768 02/24/11 10:47 AM
Blimey

If it's all abaht grammar, that's me stuffed!

Innit.

wink

#1769 02/24/11 10:51 AM
me grammer's alright and me speling but its the typein errrors i'm worriedabout.
laugh

#1770 02/24/11 01:58 PM
C
C
Thanks Rob for your dedication in providing a valuable and friendly site. As administrator you’ve undoubtedly done a lot of hard work, whilst also keeping an amazingly ‘ambient’ presence over the forum in a true quiet man style.

As someone who doesn't really have much interest in online communities I'd never have foreseen when I joined here that the forum would become such a constant fixture in my mind. It’s a place that allows for a great deal of expression from its members, least of all from myself, and as Alex posted earlier, ‘opinions may differ’, but we all share an interest that’s clearly never waned over the years, and its great to share and explore it.

There’s also lots of fun here in so many other avenues, its re-ignited wider interests for me, and I've learned a lot as I’ve added to my musical tastes from the listening choices of other members, be that current music I’d not have otherwise investigated, or earlier music that passed me by. As has been said already, ‘it's as good as a night down the local with mates’.

With the forum torch being handed over to Martin and his great enthusiasm, passion, and attention to detail about Foxx and music in general, ‘Metamatic’ is in excellent hands, and please Martin, don’t stop contributing your reviews, if you can still find the time!

#1771 02/24/11 06:27 PM
T
T
Thanks for all the work and info you've given us over the years Rob. Core Memory sums up your efforts perfectly with his Quiet Man/ambient presence analogies. Look forward to seeing what you come up with for the website.

Martin, thank you for taking over the helm. Your thirst for all things Foxx is encyclopedic, and you're a nice bloke to boot.

May the tweeting begin! laugh

#1772 02/24/11 07:24 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I guess if Rob was 'the quiet man' of this forum, then I'm probly more of a Louis Gordon!!

Thanks for all your comments everyone

Here we go...

#1773 02/24/11 09:40 PM
T
T
All the best of luck to you both! Not that you'll need it of course.

And to the rest of you, thanks for continuing to make this place what it is. I agree that it is something of a local, except without the fruit machine and pool table. A local forum not just for local people, and there's plenty for us here.

#1774 02/25/11 12:05 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I agree that it is something of a local, except without the fruit machine and pool table. A local forum not just for local people, and there's plenty for us here.
Henceforth I will try to ensure there is always at least one porter on tap.

The folkies are welcome every other thursday, and on nights when the ladies darts are playing a homer, staff will be providing free chips.

Please respect the cat, put the lid down and leave in a quiet fashion in consideration of the neighbours.

Now tell me - why is that there is always a slot for that bloke with a guitar. Why does 'that bloke with a guitar' never, ever have a keyboard??

Pass me the chalk...

keep your words sweet
Your may have to eat them later

#1775 02/26/11 01:35 AM
Thanks to Rob for a great forum for many years, and to Martin for stepping up to keep this place going.

#1776 02/27/11 11:46 AM
Martin, think this is one for you now...

There is a guy on Extreme Voice who wanted to register on Metamatic forum but the register option is closed since a longer time.
Is it a mistake, or is it 'cause you work on the site?

#1777 02/27/11 05:28 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Andreas, thanks

(and others)

The issue of registration is one of the matters I am discussing with Rob at the moment. We are upgrading the registration process, but have had to close that down for new members for a short while.

I'm sending you an email. Check that, and I'll be in touch soon

#1778 02/28/11 10:53 AM
B
B
Really? At least one porter?

Well, I may be coming 'round more often, then. wink

#1779 02/28/11 04:38 PM
Got the mail, Martin.
Thanks for your explanation. I hope you can work it out in the next time.

Cheers, Andreas wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.