Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16969 04/14/08 03:43 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Don't panic - this is not a religious piece!! wink

Thanks to everyone that asks about my 'church' project, which involves bringing a 140yr old Victorian church into line as a venue for musicians/performance art/gallery and exhibition space, while remaining in commission as a place of worship.

It's a big deal, but I'm delighted to celebrate our first professional 'gig' this coming September.

I have some jitters and logistic concerns which will no doubt work themselves out, but does anyone here have experience of hosting/organising a gig that they are willing to share?

What do I particularly need to watch out for, etc. Should attract c4-500 people.

Very exciting

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16970 04/14/08 04:34 PM
Hi Martin
I guess that your restoration project is coming to fruition. I know it's taken a long time but I'm sure the results are well worth all the effort. I wish you every success with your first professional gig in September although I can't offer any advice.

Regards

Peter smile

#16971 04/14/08 05:10 PM
T
T
Wow - I adore churches. Historically, architecturally, aesthetically, you name it. So when one is the scene for a good gig...

Best of luck for the big day Martin. Where is the church? You might have to expect 501. smile

#16972 04/14/08 05:25 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
This is kind of the beginning really, rather than a point we've arrived at. Lots of maintenance, cleaning and evaluation so far

This gig is to showcase what the building is and what it can offer, raising its profile etc before we commit to a five year plan of re-ordering inside.
"Restoration" is a term I would use only loosely as the building is VERY usable and the neglect of eight years closed is negligible.
But there is a long, long way to go - heating, lighting, black box theatre, water supply, insurance, safety, access...
All neatly wrapped in that very specific brand of CofE red tape...

For many things its perfect as it is and of course the shambolic oldness has a charm all of its own.
Rusty drainpipes clogged with vegetation are SO much more attractive than new shiny ones. If only they didn't leak water into the walls and erode the stonework...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16973 04/14/08 07:10 PM
H Offline
Sounds like the place has some real character. Does it have a churchyard too?

H smile

#16974 04/14/08 09:08 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
For many things its perfect as it is and of course the shambolic oldness has a charm all of its own.
Rusty drainpipes clogged with vegetation are SO much more attractive than new shiny ones. If only they didn't leak water into the walls and erode the stonework...
Wonderful, Martin! Sounds like an extract from 'The Quiet Man'.

#16975 06/29/08 05:36 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
http://devel.dailyecho.co.uk/search/disp...g_140_years.php

More to follow...

Thanks to everyone that has recently asked how its coming along

#16976 06/30/08 02:55 PM
Hi Martin
Thanks for the link. Judging by the photograph the church looks magnificent and grand inside.

Peter

#16977 07/22/08 11:13 AM
B
B
Birdsong,

To be honest I always wanted to do something like this myself.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Regards,

Blue

#16978 07/22/08 02:19 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thank you.

I've got a 'Friends of' scheme starting in October, following THREE concerts in September.

Today, Gospel and Blues. Tomorrow Cathedral Oceans??

In the local news again.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/mostpopular.var.2416062.mostviewed.making_church_all_spicandspan.php

[img]http://images.newsquest.co.uk/image.php?id=1054117&type=full[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.