Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16969 04/14/08 03:43 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Don't panic - this is not a religious piece!! wink

Thanks to everyone that asks about my 'church' project, which involves bringing a 140yr old Victorian church into line as a venue for musicians/performance art/gallery and exhibition space, while remaining in commission as a place of worship.

It's a big deal, but I'm delighted to celebrate our first professional 'gig' this coming September.

I have some jitters and logistic concerns which will no doubt work themselves out, but does anyone here have experience of hosting/organising a gig that they are willing to share?

What do I particularly need to watch out for, etc. Should attract c4-500 people.

Very exciting

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16970 04/14/08 04:34 PM
Hi Martin
I guess that your restoration project is coming to fruition. I know it's taken a long time but I'm sure the results are well worth all the effort. I wish you every success with your first professional gig in September although I can't offer any advice.

Regards

Peter smile

#16971 04/14/08 05:10 PM
T
T
Wow - I adore churches. Historically, architecturally, aesthetically, you name it. So when one is the scene for a good gig...

Best of luck for the big day Martin. Where is the church? You might have to expect 501. smile

#16972 04/14/08 05:25 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
This is kind of the beginning really, rather than a point we've arrived at. Lots of maintenance, cleaning and evaluation so far

This gig is to showcase what the building is and what it can offer, raising its profile etc before we commit to a five year plan of re-ordering inside.
"Restoration" is a term I would use only loosely as the building is VERY usable and the neglect of eight years closed is negligible.
But there is a long, long way to go - heating, lighting, black box theatre, water supply, insurance, safety, access...
All neatly wrapped in that very specific brand of CofE red tape...

For many things its perfect as it is and of course the shambolic oldness has a charm all of its own.
Rusty drainpipes clogged with vegetation are SO much more attractive than new shiny ones. If only they didn't leak water into the walls and erode the stonework...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16973 04/14/08 07:10 PM
H Offline
Sounds like the place has some real character. Does it have a churchyard too?

H smile

#16974 04/14/08 09:08 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
For many things its perfect as it is and of course the shambolic oldness has a charm all of its own.
Rusty drainpipes clogged with vegetation are SO much more attractive than new shiny ones. If only they didn't leak water into the walls and erode the stonework...
Wonderful, Martin! Sounds like an extract from 'The Quiet Man'.

#16975 06/29/08 05:36 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
http://devel.dailyecho.co.uk/search/disp...g_140_years.php

More to follow...

Thanks to everyone that has recently asked how its coming along

#16976 06/30/08 02:55 PM
Hi Martin
Thanks for the link. Judging by the photograph the church looks magnificent and grand inside.

Peter

#16977 07/22/08 11:13 AM
B
B
Birdsong,

To be honest I always wanted to do something like this myself.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Regards,

Blue

#16978 07/22/08 02:19 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thank you.

I've got a 'Friends of' scheme starting in October, following THREE concerts in September.

Today, Gospel and Blues. Tomorrow Cathedral Oceans??

In the local news again.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/mostpopular.var.2416062.mostviewed.making_church_all_spicandspan.php

[img]http://images.newsquest.co.uk/image.php?id=1054117&type=full[/img]

#16979 08/07/08 10:58 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Designed by celebrated architect Sir George Gilbert Scott (St Pancras Station, Martyrs Memorial) St Denys Church in Southampton remains one of the largest unaltered internal spaces of its kind in the city. An iconic building in the local community, the church hosts a number of medieval artefacts and is undergoing a renaissance as it celebrates 140 years in September 2008.
An ongoing programme of restoration and maintenance means that the church is now open again after eight years of closure, and looking forward to developing a mixed use for worship, music, art, rehearsal and performance.

This development is marked with three public concerts in September

International Gospel singer Cynthia and her band Sound Advice on Saturday 6th.

Blues legend Bob Pearce and his band Blues Etc on Saturday 20th

A celebration of Gilbert & Sullivan by Southampton Operatic Society on Saturday 27th.

Very exciting. Making it up as I go along, but it seems to be coming together.

#16980 08/12/08 10:47 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
And here's the latest.
It's exhausting sorting this lot out!

Thanks Rob for letting me go on about this here.
I promise not to make a habit of it, but appreciate your support wink

#16981 08/12/08 10:57 PM
T
T
Looks and sounds like my kind of place Birdsong. If John keeps tabs on this forum, as I expect he does, he must surely think it looks the part for a performance of Cathedral Oceans.

And by the way, I know our Mr Leigh is something of a living God, but I didn't know he had even been beatified yet! laugh

#16982 08/13/08 04:13 PM
Thanks Martin for sharing the pictures of St Denys church. The concerts that are lined up are just a bit too far away from me but should John do a CO concert there, I'll be there.

You and everyone involved must feel proud of what you've achieved in the restoration of such a nice church.

Peter

#16983 08/13/08 04:32 PM
I really enjoy visiting old churches wherever I am. Thanks for putting the photo up and continued success with your project.

#16984 08/16/08 07:23 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Hey hey - I feel I've made it.
I've been misquoted in the press and the church story has been 'spun' out of all recognition.

Oh, the terrible price of being naive... :rolleyes:

#16985 08/17/08 10:40 AM
Hi Martin,

Congratulatons on the project - having worked a bit in conservation, the time, money and patience of everyone you would have called on, I know would have taken you to get this together is a testament to the grand job you've done. Feel very pleased and smug with yourself for making it such a worthy cause (no pun intended).

On your brushes with the press, can you please confirm two things here before the past catches up with the Church:

(1) Have you ever knowingly worked as a hairdresser before this project made it big?

(2) Please disclose the number of boring old farts who have tried to, or have, hindered this project somewhere along the way. No names are needed at this stage...

smile

Take care Sir - speak soon.

All the best,

EG and LG
xx

#16986 08/17/08 02:14 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
laugh
You just made my day! cool
Excellent post Messrs Ekin and Ekin.

Thanking you much.

I have never knowing cut or styled anyone's hair. No, I lie. I have on more than one occasion been responsible for adjusting the 'hembends' in my daughters locks.

As for B.O.Fs - I'm am utterly convinced that no-one I have EVER met or had any dealing with whatsoever is worthy of such a high accolade :p

#16987 09/23/08 10:17 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
It's all systems go!

Our first concert was attended by 150 people and went much better than I had feared.
The second, last saturday, blew me away.

Worth every minute of the stress and panic to bring in over 200 people for a special night of blues with one of Southampton's local heroes.

Here's a shot of the interior before the band arrived...

and a couple of (rather too dark) photos of Bob Pearce in action
©Ann McGillvray

A musical and opera compilation this coming weekend and then that's it for a few months.

Unless wink ...

#16988 09/24/08 07:03 AM
Hey Martin . .great stuff and congratulations on the project.
Here's looking forward to a Cathedral Oceans 'happening' in some form or other..

#16989 09/24/08 07:27 AM
What a fantastic location and project - you must be really pleased with the results - fingers crossed for next week too!

#16990 09/24/08 07:28 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Blimey!!
eek eek

That would just be superb!
Better not tidy it up too much then, just in case. wink

#16991 09/24/08 11:01 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
What a fantastic location and project
great to see its all going really well smile

#16992 09/24/08 10:23 PM
Congrats on the project, and a nice pic of the church there.

#16993 09/25/08 04:49 AM
Conratulations on your hard work coming to such successful fruition, Martin! But please don't hurry to schedule any Cathedral Oceans performances there in the next couple of months, as I won't be able to do any overseas travel until Spring . . . wink

#16994 09/25/08 10:45 AM
Hi Martin,

For once, I'm (relatively speaking at least) lost for words. From the photos, the concerts looked like they were wonderful - congratulations to you and everyone involved on the brilliant success of your combined venture.

Take care Sir. And all the very best from all of us at Ekin Towers.

smile

EG

#16995 09/25/08 06:28 PM
C
C
A very beautiful church interior Martin. It's wonderful to witness such heritage treasures been conserved in such a splendid way.

Excellent!
Chris wink

#16996 09/27/08 02:57 PM
T
T
That's a beautiful space you have there Martin, hope the project continues to go from strength to strength!

#16997 02/19/09 11:02 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

A couple of weeks before Christmas we hosted another successful concert - this time featuring a Gospel singer/songwriter

Closed now until Easter, but then I'm looking forward to an evening with Orlando Jopling and a 3 hour solo dance performance called 'Artifice'.

Just got to sort the drains out, and re-lay most of the soggy car park, or it will be Underwater Automobiles...

#16998 02/20/09 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Just got to sort the drains out, and re-lay most of the soggy car park, or it will be Underwater Automobiles...
Ah, then you could have some Underwater Dreamsex in the car park after the gig! laugh

Congrats on the continued success of this project, Martin. It really does look like an amazing place to host a performance.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I haven't talked much about this project, not even to mention that we hosted Yazz last year on her first gig wih a band for 'quite some time'

She's on a different journey these days. Very cool show though!

http://www.yazzmusic.co.uk/music.php

Anyway, I wanted to post here a link to a vid I forgot I made some years ago, just panning the inside of the church before we made it safe and considered fit to re-opened. I'm hopin gto update soon, now that I have mastered video technology on one of those hand held portable 'telephone' thingies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SewUZMrSH_4&NR=1

September 30th soon we have a major fundraising event for The Kintampo Project http://www.thekintampoproject.org/ which invloves three of the best known local bands.

It would be good to think that one day I can get the kind of music I like onto a programme laugh

It's nice to know things are still moving forward; I know you've been passionate about this for a long time. You've got something special here, so all the best with this creative and exciting project.

C
C
Good to hear that the project is still going from strength to strength, you should post/video something of the upcoming fundraising event, interesting to see the venue and the local bands.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
here's my press release describing our forthcoming show

Historic church hosts fundraising Koncert 4 Kintampo

On Friday 30 September, a stunning Victorian church in Southampton plays host to three big local bands in a major fundraising concert on behalf of The Kintampo Trust (Charity No: 1141887), improving mental health in Ghana.
The venue is a beautiful 140 year old church, largely unaltered since it was designed and built by leading architect George Gilbert Scott , already well on the way to becoming one of Southampton's more unusual concert and performance venues.
After successful evenings incl. 80s icon Yazz and Paul Jones, St Denys Church have joined forces with Solent University and some of the production team behind the Southampton Passion to put on what promises to be a spectacular evening of professionally staged live music featuring local legends Ken Wood and the Mixers and Blues maestro Bob Pearce in his new band The Gospel Three.
With support from Jazz Therapy and an audience including senior and experienced professionals from across the NHS as well as music promoters,this is a showcase event for both the Church as a venue and the Trust.

Tickets now on sale from over 30 stockists, including St Denys Church. £12.50 incl. refreshments.
All proceeds to The Kintampo Trust (Charity No: 1141887).

thekintampoproject.org

Last edited by Birdsong; 09/09/11 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.