Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 125 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 124 125
I
OP Offline
I
Yo The Radler if you're still about . It's August and that means taking the mothballs off this thread I mailed you last night some spurious stuff about Robert Millar !! You still none the wiser re your CL opponents ?
Just in case you can't open it on your phone ....

Phil Liggett in fine form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
Yo The Radler if you're still about . It's August and that means taking the mothballs off this thread I mailed you last night some spurious stuff about Robert Millar !! You still none the wiser re your CL opponents ?
Just in case you can't open it on your phone ....

Phil Liggett in fine form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis
Heh! I was probably responding whilst you were writing this!

Still no details not even anything on the official site

I
OP Offline
I
Just read it Ta As you might have gathered given my Star Wars ignorance I'm not the world's greatest film buff I've always preferred the written word to the cinematic image But hope you enjoy it anyway So the Millar stuff would appear to be cobblers then ? Anyway we gave Delia Smith's Canaries a 4 2 tonking or stuffing even yesterday No pre season friendlies for your lot ? Got to go mate Have a good one this evening Off to check the country place then wall to wall Basil Brushh this evening It's been a Foxxless July !

Heh! I’ve not seen it since the age of video! Oh we had a pre-season friendly or two - too many in fact. Still no excuse for getting stuffed 4-1 by Villareal though. ‘Arry’s throwing a wobbly at Spurs and the FA about the insane amount of matches;

"Could someone tell me why we have an international week in the week that the season starts? Can someone tell me what that is all about?" said Redknapp. "They've just been away as a group for the World Cup, they've just come home, they're probably sick of the sight of each other and now we're going to have an international week before we play the first game of the season.

"We play Fiorentina on Saturday, which is a nuisance, then they go off and play for their countries – I won't see those players from Saturday night until Friday, I won't see them once. They'll all come back Friday morning. How can that be a way to prepare for the start of a season?"

Redknapp ruled out requesting that his players, even those just returned to training following their exertions at the World Cup, be left out of their various squads. "You can't, can you? Everybody would be doing that, no one's going to want their players to go. What can you do? We've got three Croatian lads, two Cameroon players, all playing games. There'll probably be one or two players left at the training ground for the week before we play Manchester City. Why? What's the point of it? A meaningless friendly for what reason? We just keep our fingers crossed that they don't come back injured."

"We've just come back from a gruelling trip all round America and we're only home two days before we had the Villarreal game [Spurs lost 4-1]," said Redknapp. "If you look at the schedule, we play Villarreal, then Benfica on the Tuesday, then we play Fiorentina on the Saturday, then they've got an international game in the midweek, then you play Man City, then a Champions League qualifier, then you've got Stoke away, then another Champions League qualifier, then Wigan. I mean, it's crazy.
"The last thing we need really is to be playing games – we need to train. I need to get the players on the training pitch, because all we do is play and recover, play and recover. Too many games have been scheduled. I didn't want the Villarreal game. It's a problem at times.

"We've not really had a proper pre-season. We've not been able to get on the training pitch enough. We've gone away and played games. Modric has a hamstring [injury], Pavlyuchenko's got a hamstring, Palacios has a got a groin, but that's what happens when you schlep all round the world."

Regarding CL qualification - this just in;

"Contrary to popular belief, Tottenham have not qualified for the Champions League just yet.

The draw for the Champions League play-off round will be made on August 6 in Nyon. First legs to be played August 17 & 18, with return fixtures on August 24 and 25.

Tottenham will be drawn against one of five teams in the Champions League play-off draw and if the favourites come through their preliminary round fixtures, their opponents will come from this list:

Fenerbahce
Dynamo Kiev
Sporting Braga
Sampdoria
Auxerre

PS - JUST LOVE your new Away strip – hahahahahaha!

Spurs vs AC Milan...um...but not as we know it...

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/international/news/so-close-in-sf-010810.html

Perhaps we'll put a team in the Tour de France next year n all! eek

After reading and watching Once In A Lifetime very recently, I’m stunned by the co-incidence that Pelé is helping to re-launch the New York Cosmos.

From the New York Times;

“The title of the film about perhaps the world’s most famous defunct soccer team was “Once in a Lifetime.” Anyone for “Twice in a Lifetime”?

The team in question was the New York Cosmos, the flagship team in the North American Soccer League, which ceased operations in the mid-1980s. Now a group led by the English businessman Paul Kemsley, with Pelé as honorary president, has acquired the club’s globally recognized name and announced its restart Sunday. The announcement was made at halftime of the final of Copa N.Y.C. at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.

“This is fantastic,” Pelé said by telephone. “We are working very hard to bring the beautiful game back to New York, and now we finally have people who support us.”
He added, “One day, I hope to be happy to see the New York Cosmos playing the Red Bulls in the championship game.”

That might be a few years down the road, but it is clear that the people running the Cosmos have a goal of playing in Major League Soccer.

“Our plan has several phases, but if you fast-forward, it’s our aspiration to play at the highest level in this country and that’s M.L.S.,” said Joe Fraga, the executive director of the Cosmos. “And we are serious. We want to make it relevant again, we want kids to know what the Cosmos were and are, to bring the soccer dream back to the city.”
Kemsley purchased the Cosmos name from G. Peppe Pinton, a former general manager of the team.

“This is a new era,” Pinton said by telephone. “It took a long time, but I’ve found a man with the vision of Steve Ross to carry on the Cosmos name.” Ross, who died in 1992, was the chairman of Warner Communications, which owned the original Cosmos.

Full story here;
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/sports/soccer/02cosmos.html

Paul Kemsley was a former director of Tottenham

I
OP Offline
I
Steady on Gazza I had planned to read "War and Peace"but had to dedicate the time to reading your last two replies
Historic game at GP tomorrow
We are playing against us !! eek

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/03/everton-chile-football

You Spuds crossed the big wide ocean with us back in 1909 !!

laugh

That’s an amazing story! I bleedin’ love stories like that! And a 6000 mile 2 week trip – that’s some dedication to an away game! wink

I think it was that 1909 tour that the expression ‘Sick as a Parrot’ comes from - (I think the story goes…) we were given a Parrot on the South America tour and took it back to the UK, where it died a few years later when we were illegally relegated and Arsenal illegally promoted to the first division. That may be apocryphal, but that’s the gist of it.

I
OP Offline
I
Glad you liked it ! I'm liking your parrot anecdote too
Out on the bike today , a steep 2k 10 percent climb Mountain biker well ahead Did a Contador , swept past him imperiously and gave him the finger* ........
just as they'll be doing to me on the dirt roads come October in the next edition of L'Epica shocked shocked
Check out your Foxx interview thread , your mate Arsene gets mentioned

*one finger suffices here on the continent as opposed to two back home smile

Here it is! (War & Peace – Redux) laugh

“Spurs embarked on a tour of South America (Argentina & Uruguay) in 1909. The boat journey either way to Argentina was fairly long. One of the distractions provided for the passengers on the way home was a fancy dress competition. It was actually won by two of the Spurs' players dressed as Robinson Crusoe and Man Friday. The ship had a parrot and they had borrowed it as one of their props. As a result the parrot was presented to the club (or the two players) by the ship's captain. And yes it is claimed that the bird died on the day the dirty deed took place in 1919, which saw Arsenal replace Spurs in the first division. It has been suggested in some quarters that this was the origin of the phrase "as sick as a parrot"! Add Parrot murderers to their list of crimes.”

From the article: ‘Arsenal – A stain on the underpants of Football’
http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-arsepaste.htm

I see Everton beat Everton last night – good result! We’re down to just insulting with the one finger now too – I think the reduction must be the new Austerity Britan (Part II) movement – or a sign of the times.

And Liverpool may become Comrades la! I think they’re taking the Reds moniker a bit too far;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/05/china-liverpool-ownership-fund

So, there’s a strong possibility that we can add Human Rights violations to their charge sheet next season. Mind you, considering Gerrard’s behaviour in recent times, we can probably add that charge already.

Talking of bikes – I’ve just joined this in a small bid to get it working!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx

Right, I’m off to the interview thread – t’ra!

Page 40 of 125 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 124 125

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.