Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 125 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 124 125
Would love to – never been to Switzerland, but can’t see it happening – especially as we’ll have just returned from NYC by then!

Hmmmmmmmm – I’m gonna guess – Chorley FC? I’m making that up – do Chorley have a football team?
*wanders off to look on Google*...

yes they do! http://www.chorleyfc.com/

"The most famous 'son' of Chorley is without doubt former England, Ipswich Town and England striker Paul Mariner"

I think we should all complain laugh

I
OP Offline
I
Morning Radler I e mailed you last night
Anyway , given a clear day from the top of Winter Hill 30 miles in any direction and earth's curvature permitting
The nearest obviously Den's beloved Trotters and Pie Eaters Athletic West to Merseyside Us and The Shite northwards Preston , blackburn and burnley and Blackpool South to Gtr Manchester Bury , Oldham Rochdale Manure and Citeh (they are thinking of buying Winter Hill to strenghten their defence)

What will the pots hold for Toffees today ? I'll edit accordingly ADDENDUM Olomouc (Czech republic)
Agreed re Mariner anyone knows that Chorley's most illustrious citizen is
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
Question of Sport Tsar Bill Beaumont !!! laugh

Ooops! Sorry Ivan! Missed this! – will check my mail tonight

Bill Beaumont!! Oh dear! Ha!ha!ha!ha! laugh

Cheers for the geography lesson! wink It’s been a loooooooong time since I saw any away games up that way but – and I’m not stereotyping – I remember the pies being very good! Although last time I was at an away game, Forest had the best away pies! cool

We got bassong last week. Ho and indeed, hum. :rolleyes:

I
OP Offline
I
Rads I'm craning my neck up from Championship basecamp but I can't make out the lofty heights of the peak of the Premier League where you sit Well done
Enjoy it but heed this cautionary tale in an Ancient Paul Mariner stylee

"Twas in the year of our lord 1993 on the very day of my dear sister's nuptials Her wedding reception was held a mere 250 yards from the Blue pleasure Dome so as to allow some of the guests to witness the encounter between the mighty Toffees and the rascally Blades of Steel City . The former administered a sound thrashing to the latter It was the season's third encounter amd maximum points had been garnered The delighted fans repaired to the reception to partake of fine victuals brimming with confidence and dreaming of silverware The dreams proved illusory A mere 9 months the Mighty Blues were destined to find themselves were they are now and even a win against Wimbledon chasing a UEFA Cup place was no garantuee of salvation Wimbledon were 2 nil up within half an hour Said salvation was achieved in the 83rd minute with the winning (and dubious third goal) ,thanks mainly to a very sporting Chelsea (3 days from a a Cup Winners Cup final and nothing to play for) playing a straight bat and beating Den's beloved Trotter's thus consigning them to the drop .A draw and it would have been us !!
I am thus doomed to tell my cautionary tale to whoever will listen . Remember dear Spud that success is both illusory and ephimeral !
(However should you win the Premiership I've no objections to you putting me up in London for the weekend and buying the booze for the duration laugh laugh )
On a lighter note Europa Cup draw later Genoa away I hope !
Norf Lahndan 2 Merrrseysidehhh 0
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

IVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! WOTCHYA MATE! You’re back! The season officially starts now! laugh

“dear Spud that success is both illusory and ephimeral!”

Yeah, true…but…

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEEEEEEEAAGUE! SING WE ARE TOP OF THE LEEEEEEEAAGUE!!!!!!YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHH!!!! laugh

I had to say that, because it doesn’t happen often.

We’re so used to being the bridesmaid we cannot even begin to contemplate, even thinking about putting the thought together, that at some point, we might want to think about - being the bride.

There’s a factoid mantra that’s being rolled out through every media hole across the land – “the last time Spurs won a consecutive blah of games blah they did the double blah blah…” and then they start drawing comparisons with the legends like Blanchflower and Mackay (– as if there is ANY player in the PL who could rival Blanchflower or Mackay!?) But most of us, talking in pubs, offices and the ye olde super-information highway are diligently sticking to “it can’t last” glances and “ha!ha!ha! hilarious! Top of the league!” smirks but never, ever daring to mention the words “t*p fo*r”. Bizarrely – we’ve got pundits such as Hansen to mention it for us – not a man known for giving away applause so easily (unless of course it’s Liverpool).

We’re just glad we’re not listening to “two points from eight games” this season.

We’re glad we’ve got a second string squad who could easily on their own, get us mid-table.

We’ve got strikers fighting for a position – not fighting to ring red-nose of Manchester or the fat Spanish waiter in Liverpool.

We beat Liverpool….WE BEAT LIVERPOOL! Proper thumped them! And then sang “Self defence you’re ‘avin a laugh!” for good measure by all accounts. And we just about beat West Ham – but we came back, and we beat them. Normally we just lie down or wave our hands in the air or get Pointy to…well…point.

And players left to graze or taken Animal Farm-style off to the glue factory have had ‘Appy ‘Arry’s arm placed fatherly upon their shoulders the words “g’on my son” cockneyed to their ear – and blam! They can play again! Just short of them getting angel wings I suppose rather than shipping them off to Norwich for a season. That may be a romantically painted picture – but you get the drift; the chaff have chuffed off and the wheat brought to the table. And I’m glad to of been proved ‘well wrong’ about Bassong – all I can say is – he must’ve really been fed up at the Barcodes!

“(However should you win the Premiership I've no objections to you putting me up in London for the weekend and buying the booze for the duration laugh laugh )”

Ha!ha!ha! If we win the Premiership I might have to invite the world!

“T’riffic!” wink

Gazza

I
OP Offline
I
I can now come out of hiding as we make our gradual ascent to the top 4 ! No fingernails left after the win over the Mighty Wigan As I type this we've got roughly 2 hours to buy Bentley from you . My spare time has been evenly divided between sticking pins into my Joleon Lescott voodoo doll and cycling
La Vuelta finishes in Liege today of all places No sign of Ivan the Terrible so far shocked
Addendum 2/9

"I"'m sitting pretty in 9th place I'll catch the pesky Swissman in the end !
http://www.lavuelta.com/09/espanol/resultados/general.html?e=4

9th ain’t so bad – look at Millar – 86th! C’mon David!

So…that was the most anticlimactic transfer window ever – ‘Reality Check Tuesday’ I think SSN called it. Still, SECOND IN THE LEAGUE for another few weeks! laugh

And my Fantasy Football Team Orchestral Manoeuvres on the Park wink are top of the league – first time ever!

I
OP Offline
I
Orchestral Manoeuvres on the Park !! Nice one Radler

Is Andy McCuskey playing a midfield general 's role ? Obviously our Den as a sturdy reliable right back (according to your sources)
Gabi Lopez playing in "the hole" and Robert Go-"oh **** where's the umlaut when you need it ?"-rl on the wing Who's in goal Cab's Steven Mallander or the Numanoid in his space suit smile

Re the transfer window , as you stated , very underwhelming
Nearly Noo Yook time for you Bet you can't wait .
Are you still clocking up the "k"s btw ?
Will you be changing your offical name to Tottenham Hotspur and Portsmouth Affiliated FC ?'arry seems to have bought most of the Pompey players They're so short staffed on the South Coast they'll be asking the bellend with the bell to pull a shirt on !
Radders , I leave you with Ivan's footy quizlet du jour Which moderately successful Italian football club was formed from the merger of two clubs ? (No googling !!)
Well as early 70's Greek starlet and Morrisey's birth mother Nana Mouskuri famously said "Till the Blue Rose blooms again* I must leave you "
The way we're shaping at the moment I'd say about 2015 !! smile

Yeah it’s not gone un-noticed! We do refer to ourselves as Tottenham-on-Sea these days! Which is ironic when you consider the amount of Gooner players ‘Arry brought to Portsmouth a few seasons ago, so we used to call Portsmouth Gooners-at-Sea!

I’ve had a knee issue which is healing (again) so I’ll probably start again after we get back (although I am tempted by the thought of jogging in Central Park!)

I’ll be brutally honest – I know nuffink about Italian football! So I’ll have a guess that it’s Inter-Milan as that name always looked like a contraction of summat anyhow.

Re-The Toffees; you'll be alright. It's early hysterics (can't believe Barnsley have sacked their manager already!!!) We'll both be fighting for fourth come May don't worry!

Here’s the team…oh alright I made it up…

Orchestral Manoeuvres on the Park XII

Manager – Mark E Smith

Goal – Ian Curtis*

Defence – Bernard Sumner / Steven Morris / Richard H Kirk / Stephen Mallinder

Midfield – John Foxx (C) / Paul Humphreys / Steve Severin

Midfield General – Peter ‘Chopper’ Hook

Strikers – Numan** / Sylvian***

*currently on indefinite leave. Substitute goalie – McCluskey

** has received a two match ban for diving. Great aeroplane-style goal celebrations though. Substitute striker – Mark Hollis – a great talent, Tottenham born and bred.

*** keeps going missing for long periods but does provide some brilliant goals through set-pieces. Has been warned by the ref that even small hand mirrors aren’t allowed on the pitch and could receive a two match ban if found using one to apply his lippy before taking corners again.

I
OP Offline
I
Ha ha That's brilliant Garry You're obviously using the same illicit substances as me ! Dave Sylvain you're very own Robbie Savage
Well I'm off to get myself a rich middle eastern backer and I'll put you under tremendous daily pressure to sell me big Den come the next transfer window (A la Citeh with Lescott)
so in the meantime
Goal Al Stewart His Year of the Cat was a tribute to own sporting hero USSR Legend Lev Yashin (Al apparently** played in goal for The Bournemouth youth team before deciding to become a rock n roll star)
**source "How to win Pub Quizzes " -H Redknapp Pan Books
Defence Stuart Staples Phil Lynott Brian May Robert Goerl
Midfield Bill Nelson (c) , Marion Gold , Robert Della Naia
Attack Rufus Wainright* Matt Johnson Dave Gahan

Subs Ian Craig Marsh Dave Brock

*He's crap my own Owen Hargreaves but I feel Kate and Anna McGarrigle need to be represented somehow On second thoughts his sister Martha would do a better job ! laugh
I hope that knee picks up for you ! Just been out for a quick spin sporting my newly acquired "Berg" jersey acquired for a song in Lisbon

Ivan the terribler I'm afraid !
http://www.sportlive.it/ciclismo/classifica-generale-vuelta-giro-di-spagna-2009.html

Sorry I forgot
*edits frantically *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.C._Sampdoria

Page 20 of 125 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 124 125

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.