Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 656 of 753 1 2 654 655 656 657 658 752 753
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
An all-time electronic classic: Leftfield - Leftism.
...there are one or two tracks that do sound a little dated now but for me the three stand-out tracks - Release The Pressure, Afro-Left and Open Up - have really stood the test of time. Lydon's vocals on Open Up are absolutely superb, really at his bestÔ¿Ô
Playing it earlier. Its an album that encompasses a few styles of its time, and to be honest I now find the tribal/rave tracks dated, but of course it could just be where ones at in the head, as I still listen to and enjoy a similar type of ambient/techno (as made by other artists) of tracks such as Storm 3000, and Melt.

Open Up remains a great track, no doubts there.

Presently listening to Howard Devoto: Jerky Versions Of The Dream

I
I
Faute de mieux* , MOTT THE HOOPLE'S GREATEST HITS
Probably my favourite "Best Of" Starts of with All THe WAY FROM MEMPHIS " It's a mighty long way from the Liverpool docks to..." This correspondent agrees whole heartedly with that sentiment Another early 70's hit Honalouchie Boogie They never gave less than 100 per cent on TOTPand were brilliant . Shortly afterwards their breakthrough song , given as a present by Dame David of Bowie ALL THE YOUNG DUDES "Maan I need TV ? when I got T Rex ! " great stuff From hereon in they are joined by backing vocalists THUNDERTHIGHS and come across as a prototype FUNBOY 3 /BANANARAMA With ROLL AWAY THE STONE and the peerless over the top "GOLDEN AGE OF ROCK N ROLL " Penultimate track is FOXY FOXY !!! would you believe then a great finish with "THE SATURDAY GIGS" "The ticket for the fantasy wre 12 and 6 a time ;Now the kids pay a couple of quid cos they need it all the same " Reminds me of spending the afternoon at Goodison Park and then seeing the likes of Ultravox ! at Eric's mid to late 70's
A great feelgood album If you can't afford it , "beg , steal or borrow it " as prototype pomp rockers The New Seekers once famously said . I reckon it'll be as cheap as chips . I should imagine it retails in the 3.99/4.99 price range

*French for "As there's sod all else "

Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:

Presently listening to Howard Devoto: Jerky Versions Of The Dream
Not as good, IMHO, as the Luxuria stuff, musically speaking, but lyrically and vocally definitely a Devoto classic - must dig out my copy and have a listen, it's been too long!

Ô¿Ô

Depeche Mode - A broken frame

then
Bill Nelson - Living In A Star Spangled Moment

_

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[b]the 2007 double CD pack [b]The Frozen Borderline takes things a lot further. It contains her two 'solo' albums - 1968's The Marble Index and 1970's Desertshore

It's terrifying in a lot of ways, lacks percussion and any kind of structure - you just have to go where it takes you. Not unlike Scott Walker's later albums.

Lyrically profound too.
[/b]
Cheers Martin. This seems like an absolutely excellent package, and for two remastered albums its a really great price online. I have just seconds ago purchased it.

Thanks for reminding us all of these works. I look forward to indulging in its distant romanticism, and ultimately dark atmosphere, and I take your point about its lyrics also. [/b]
I do love Nico. I would however recommend that "The End" (also produced by Cale) is even more intense. Ear-splittingly, on one song.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
Howard Devoto: Jerky Versions Of The Dream - Not as good, IMHO, as the Luxuria stuff, musically speaking, but lyrically and vocally definitely a Devoto classic
Ô¿Ô
I'd agree there Bob, as The Beast Box album is Devoto's best post Magazine outing for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I do love Nico. I would however recommend that "The End" (also produced by Cale) is even more intense. Ear-splittingly, on one song.
Cheers Church, and with Sir Eno's atmospheric touches, (he sure gets around, past and present!)

C
C
Well, its gone 2 A.M. in ole Britain here smile but far away from the land of nod in a distant kingdom called Chic-Europeland the dazzling nightclubs of Xanadu have yet to open their doors. Its still way too early for the hipsters to roll up for the sound of the crowd and to "put a hand in a party wave, making a shroud pulling combs through a backwash frame, getting onto the dancefloor for funky computer and italo disco, while stroking a pocket with a print of a laughing sound...":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NETuCMeQds8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgBzF9_CQhY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiGdSEmgwdA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byXxf2RQBi8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmhLTvCMhAg&feature=related

"Alright everybody now here we go, It's a brand new version of the dosido.
Just stomp your feet and clap your hands, come on everybody its the hamster dance,
Spin it around and feel the groove, move to the beat from Giorgio..."
wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OU7Hka_--U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMWeJ_cPK0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQdzSfRikU&feature=related

If I come back on here at 5 A.M. all of you guys had better be dancing to this, okay laugh

Quote:
If you are going to listen to Disco Computer, then you must also hear the superior Moskow Diskow . Belgian producer Dan Lacksman of Telex was involved with both records.

Which reminds me, LCD Soundsystem decided to borrow the first 2 bars of the Moskow Discow bass line for their Get Innocuous! .

David Bowie - random tracks from Outside, Hours, Station to Station, Let's Dance, the Berlin trilogy and the Toy tracks

Administrator
Administrator
You know how sometimes it just works??

I randomly play alphabetical shuffles of my itunes playlist. This evening, the following:

All is Falling in Parts - Zea
Crazed-up Dutch nonsense from their 2003 album 'Today I Forgot To Complain'. Or are they German? Great fun tune, anywayz

After The Call - Pieter Nooten & Micheal Brook
From Orphée. Treated cellos and echo-ey vocals that 'experiment with and celebrate' the male voice.

Ancestors - Björk
Medulla is my favourite Bjork album, and one of her most off the wall. Typical I guess. Lots of vocal gymnastics and gyrations going on here.

Alsatian Cousin - Morrissey
Made me jump. Mozzer trying to find his way. Were you and he lovers? And would you say so if you were?? - from 1988's Viva Hate

Archaeology of Sound - Derek Jarman
Radio samples, soundbites, loops, bits and bobs. From the cuckoo'snest that is Touch Meridians 2

As real As rainbows - Current 93
One of the more subtle and understated tracks from 2009 album Aleph on Hallucinatory Mountain. Probably self-indulgent rubbish, but the piano track is great

All Tomorrow's Parties - Velvet Underground
This is just one of those songs that still makes me stop whatever it is I'm doing and just blo*dy listen. A compulsory experience

Atomic Flower - The Atomic orchestra of Radioactive Europe
The more I am drawn towards formless music, the more I love this album. Thanks to them as know who they are. Seemed to follow the above track so silky smooth...

Perfect.

Are there any vacancies for an evening slot on 6 Music?? laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 656 of 753 1 2 654 655 656 657 658 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.