Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 624 of 753 1 2 622 623 624 625 626 752 753
Administrator
Administrator
It's on the wish list now - thanks

Mr Puddle, if its your favourite Waits album, that's high enough recommendation for me.

cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
S
S
A mixed bag today. Started off with Dalis Car - The Waking Hour with news that Peter & Mick are to begin work on a follow up next week. This was followed by an afternoon of O.M.D Looking forward to getting the new album on Monday as I've liked what I've heard though I must say the new single is probably the least exciting , I stuck on O.M.D , Architecture & Morality , Junk Culture , Crush , The Pacific Age & Sugar Tax.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
[b]Dalis Car - The Waking Hour with news that Peter & Mick are to begin work on a follow up next week[/b]
Thanks for posting Scott - a New album in the wings!
Hopefully also we will get another reissue of the Waking Hour and I'll be able to replace my old copy on cassette that I was lent many surreal moons ago!

S
S
Even better news is that Paul Lawford who played drums on The Waking hour will also be present.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
[b] Swordfishtrombones, and Bone Machine for me smile
Ooooh - don't have Bone Machine.
Where does that sit, style and chronology speaking? [/b]
Sorry, Core, if you are preparing an answer but I fancy answering this one too! [/b]
Cheers much for adding your great opinion, with my limited experience I'm really not qualified to judge, so I'll just tell a story laugh

My introduction to Tom was the Franks Wild Years album way back in the year of its release in ’87, while I was in Cornwall for a week with a couple of other people, one of whom was self-financing and (failingly) attempting to make a video doc' about an ‘urban’ sculptor who lived there. None of us had any real experience, albeit much of a clue about what we were actually doing, and I was only there as I was unemployed and it was a free trip all paid for out of ‘the director’s’ pocket, on one of those wacky adventures that sadly only happen in youth and don’t seem to come along when you are much older (and wiser!). The sculptor (who shall remain nameless) played us Franks', along with another well known Frank, Mr Zappa, and was also partial to a bit of Gong, he also for his amusement liked to trick our sensible director with hash cakes and hash tea, while the crew (me and one other guy) were rather grateful for this generosity!

I didn’t pick up ‘83’s Swordfishtrombones until ’88, and at that time I went on a date with an almost complete stranger, and played this album to the person when I suggested that at a very late hour we come back to my place, basically an unfurnished room in a shared house where I had a mattress on the floor and was practicing a design concept I’d originated which I called ‘low living’ laugh (in reality an excuse for not owning much). Everything is placed on the floor, including table lights, and things you’d hang on the walls, pictures etc, are hung no more than one or two feet up from the ground. It’s not something you’re likely to see on 60 minute make-over with Claire Sweeney, and although my date thought it was strange, fortunately they didn’t think I was a crazed serial killer or anything.

The only other Waits album's I’ve had are Bone Machine, my fav’, and Mule Variations.

Administrator
Administrator
Great story!

To indulge my sins, I've got

Frank's Wild Years
Swordfishtrombones
Big Time
Orphans, Brawlers, B*stards and B-sides
Closing Time
Asylum Years
Small change
Blue Valentine
Real Gone
Bounced Checks
Mule Variations

Funny how it's so many when you list them like this. I've always considered myself to be a fan of Tom Waits, but never consciously gathered his albums or followed his career.
They've just kind of 'come along' randomly, suited at various times to moods, relationships, budgets etc.

A bit like a trip down the pub - unplanned, irreverent and ragamuffin.

(In fact, the same is true of my relationship with Nick Cave...)

Looks as if I will now add Bone Machine to the list...

The piano has been drinking
Not me...
wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
If I remember rightly, Bone Machine is the album where he uses all sorts of junk as instruments, including brake drums from a car, though I haven't heard the album. I too was a late convert to his music, about ten years ago when I bought Swordfishtrombones on a whim. Since then I've just picked up the odd album here and there, so all I have is the aforementioned Swordfish Trombones, Mule Variations, The Asylum Years and Blood Money, all very different but very good albums. Blood Money takes a few plays to get used to as his voice is deeper and more husky than ever, like a white Paul Robeson. Some great tracks on there though, especially Coney Island Baby and All The World Is Green.

Ô¿Ô

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

To indulge my sins, I've got

[b]Frank's Wild Years
Swordfishtrombones
Big Time
Orphans, Brawlers, B*stards and B-sides
Closing Time
Asylum Years
Small change
Blue Valentine
Real Gone
Bounced Checks
Mule Variations

[/b]
What, no "Rain Dogs"?! eek

Although it's still pop-oriented compared to the theatrical art-rock that followed it, it's a lovely transition from the "Blue Valentine"-type sentimentality to the messier Beefheartian experimentalism that followed. It's a very tight album and damned if "Gun Street Girl" isn't the best song Tom ever put to vinyl.

OMD - History Of Modern

Administrator
Administrator
Cheers Lele

Will look out for this one, and Bone Machine, when circumstance comes together

Page 624 of 753 1 2 622 623 624 625 626 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.