Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 614 of 753 1 2 612 613 614 615 616 752 753
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
M83 "Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts"
Good album.

(I've had the much more poppy Saturdays = Youth album on my wish list for some time now laugh )

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
[b] Dusting off The Dark Side Of The Moon
have you heard the Flaming Lips's brilliant take on the album? [/b]
just some samples of it only, as is also the case with the Easy Star All-Stars dub version, but I'm more than happy to hear nothing other than the original sound of the moon laugh

Back from my holidays.Time to get back to normality.

Today the brilliant Dark Swedish Electropop of Niki and the Dove.

Give DJ Ease my mind a listen:-

http://www.myspace.com/nikiandthedove

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
[b]School of Seven Bells - Disconnect from Desire
what think you of it MemberD? and you too Garry?
I read a rather average review when it came out, and from the samples I've heard it seems more poppy/dance to me than the first album. [/b]
It's a much tighter album and heavier on the electronic side of things than the debut. I really like it.

The only let down for me was their recent performance at The Scala - the sound was really poor and it just didn't work.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
School of Seven Bells - Disconnect from Desire
It's a much tighter album and heavier on the electronic side of things than the debut. I really like it
cheers for that Garry.

Over the last few weeks I’ve gone from ignoring an album by a band that came out in ’07 which I stuck on a wishlist and forgot about, to then getting this years new album and being completely bowled over by that, and I'm now about to see them play tonight (as by a happy coincidence I discovered that they are performing as part of The Edge Festival here), and the name of this new love is - The Besnard Lakes

Two great albums: Are The Dark Horse, and, Are The Roaring Night.

Uplifting guitars and vocals sprinkled with magical touches of the Beach Boys, Phil Spector, and Roy Orbison that transport you from a valley of peaceful reflection in one moment, and then take you in an instant to a mountain top, where you feel no inhibition in joining in with the truly anthemic spirit of the vision that's being beautifully crafted by this low-fi band from Montreal.

Besnard Lakes I salute you, (and here’s hoping that your great sound delivers tonight at Sneaky Pete’s! laugh )

S
S
Villa Nah - Origin

Going to see them support O.M.D in November.

I’m currently listening to Rara in Haiti
http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=19522 - it's a mental vodou street music album recorded by Soul Jazz Records.

Rara is the music played throughout Kanaval, an anarchic folk-meets-punk collision of drums, voices and bamboo sticks which all creates an exciting, energising soundtrack to Kanaval in Haiti. Rara bands tour the countryside for days at a time accosting people, car drivers and anyone in their way, demanding payment before they move on and the crowd of musicians and singers gets bigger all the time.

I'm also reading the accompanying book called Kanaval;

“This book contains the most disturbing but exhilarating photographs you are ever likely to see" Bill Drummond

Soul Jazz Records' new photography book release is a fascinating combination of stunning photographs (by Leah Gordon), cultural, historical and anthropological text (with essays by Madison Smartt Bell, Don Cosentino, Myron Beasley, Richard Fleming and Kathy Smith) and unique oral histories.

http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=19520 - the pictures are amazing, you've never seen anything like them. Incredible book.

Just before my computer gets packed for moving house I have made an mp3 CD of the best two albums from 1986 Peter Gabriel 'So' and Genesis 'Invisible Touch'

Just before my computer gets packed for moving house I have made an mp3 CD of the best two albums from 1986 Peter Gabriel 'So' and Genesis 'Invisible Touch'

C
C
Wednesday morning saw me with a bit of a hangover from a gig the night before, so music-wise all I could manage to bear was the slow-motion shuffle of Bohren & Der Club Of Gore: Black Earth. By lunchtime though I'd perked up a bit and had the great idea of making a Foxxy uptempo playlist.

Feeling that I'd neglected our John a bit recently, (checking out this forum gave me a twinge of guilt!), so I came up with these five beauties in a row:

Drive (the Impossible version),
Neuro Video,
Sidewalking,
Friendly Fire (Impossible vers),
and Making Movies.

This turned out to be a tad premature. A fantastic blast from John and Louis, but way too much excitement for me, and I was back on the sombre inward path. So the rest of this weeks listening has seen me flit between Boards Of Canada: Music Has The Right', Bibio: Vignetting The Compost, and Broadcast: HaHa Sound.

Tonight I'm listening to some online samples of new releases and thinking, no, its too much money frown So yet more things are added to the never-ending wishlist:

Zola Jesus: Stridulum II, (track 8, Sea Talk sounds a bit like classic OMD, Organisation or Architecture & Morality period). Annoyingly I've just noticed that Zola Jesus are playing here on Sep 4th, and I'm supposed to be visiting Manchester then shocked

Also listening to samples of:

Alter Eagle: Mechanical Gardens.
Fennesz: Knoxville.
Luke Abbott: Holkham Drones.
Women: Public Strain
and an Efterklang rerelease: Parades.

I want them all!

As usual I've waffled on at length here laugh , hey come on guys, outbake my waffle.

at least I haven't mentioned the weather wink

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I’m currently listening to Rara in Haiti
...the pictures are amazing, you've never seen anything like them. Incredible book.
Thanks for posting. Great music, and those pictures sure make Día de los Muertos look tame.

Quote:- "a furious noise that sounds at times as if football fans were attempting psychedelic marching tunes on vuvuzelas"

laugh laugh laugh

now that would be a scary sight alright!

Page 614 of 753 1 2 612 613 614 615 616 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.