Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
The BCB Art Gallery presents The Quiet Man

This exhibition opens on Saturday the 7th of November, 2009 and features Quiet Man prints, films and multi-media. John Foxx will be attending, and will do a reading from The Quiet Man on the 7th of November

BCB Art, 116 Warren Street, Hudson, New York 12534

Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
John Foxx will be attending
That's going to make a few people very happy.

Good news for our friends over there!

c23 Offline
bad news for me!! I have to work that evening........i can't believe it. God is playing a cruel prank on me....... :-(

Administrator
Administrator
Oh no! That's a bit rough.

Is the date far enough away for you to 're-arrange' things?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
c23 Offline
i doubt it...my name is on the contract for that date......im really flipped out about this......

Well, we'll need passports, and it's a six hour drive , but I'm going to try to make it there.

Quote:
Originally posted by c23:
i doubt it...my name is on the contract for that date......im really flipped out about this......
Can you swap with anyone else?

Just last night I was talking to some friends about my need for a holiday and how I wanted to go somewhere for a long weekend, maybe NYC, around the time of my birthday. I've been so busy lately that I hadn't checked the forum for a couple of weeks, and now I see this — I am blown away! I guess I had best start making my reservations. Maybe it isn't NYC, and it isn't a full live concert performance, but I suspect it's the closest thing I'll get in my lifetime. And how perfect that it falls on the day after my birthday! smile

Well, how perfect for me, at least. David, I really hope there is some way you can juggle things and make it. frown

Wow! what a day! I was driving home listening to the 'New Kind Of Man' CD and I had 'Mirrorball' waiting for me in the mailbox!

As if that wasn't teriffic enough news now we have John planning a trip to Hudson, New York!

I am in California but definitely plan on being there! Thanks for the
advance word! I can commence with the 'scrimping and saving'!!

I cannot get up to Hudson that day either. mad

There are plenty of art galleries in NYC; why not do an exhibit here confused

Administrator
Administrator
The owner of BCB is a big supporter of John and has hosted several exhibitions there.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
'BCB' is becoming Johns La Scala of the art world.

I am going to have to think about this.

The fact that its not a live performance of his music is the main driver. I am quite shy and I dont see myself going up and saying hello and the fact that I am not really into the "Quiet man" spoken thing is also a consideration.

Its nine hours by car or a short flight.

Uuummm, arrrr,ummmm,arrghhhhh! confused

H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
I am going to have to think about this.

The fact that its not a live performance of his music is the main driver. I am quite shy and I dont see myself going up and saying hello and the fact that I am not really into the "Quiet man" spoken thing is also a consideration.

Uuummm, arrrr,ummmm,arrghhhhh! confused
Now then young man - back in May on this thread you said "I'll go anywhere to see John"! wink

http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000468

I too have ummed and ahhed about going to see John performing, especially if it's been one of his works I've not been quite as into. Each time I've gone to see him perform I ended up feeling glad I did and each time I didn't I regretted it later.

Also - let's be frank here - John's not getting any younger and may even decide to retire from live performances sooner rather than later; this might be your last chance!

Also; everyone on this forum who's met John has said how easy he is to talk to and however much we may be in awe of him, he's down to earth and puts you at your ease.

You got me there Herbert! shocked

it is a Saturday as well! frown

Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
Take the short flight. No sense arriving exhausted.

Oh, for anyone who does go, take cameras. Video and still.

G
Gem Offline
G
I can only agree with Herbert about this - the only times I've ever felt regret in connection with John's work were on the occasions that I didn't attend an event. frown I'd really, strongly encourage you to make the effort if you think it's possible - it's always worth it! smile

c23 Offline
So its looking likely that John may add a second date to the BCB gallery reading, and if so i will most certainly be there with camera firmly in hand. As this progresses we should try to arrange a pre/post show gathering of USA/Canadian fans who will be there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gem:
- the only times I've ever felt regret in connection with John's work were on the occasions that I didn't attend an event. frown
I understand your sentiments exactly. Trying to clear my schedule for this also.

I talked with my wife and she has told me that I should go so thats it. I'm going!!
;-)

G
Gem Offline
G
Hooray! laugh Well done, Mrs Furniture!

Maryann and David, I really hope you do get to attend one or other of these events - I'm so pleased that John's finally going back to the US, as I know how long you've all been waiting.

We should definitely meet up!

I was watching The Late Show with David Letterman last night and got to thinking, since the show usually closes with a musical act, wouldn't it be great if John Foxx appeared while he was in New York.

I checked their web site but there's no indication of how far ahead they book acts for their schedule. I don't even know if the date in November would have a show (they seem to screen a lot of repeats here).

According to Nippertown this "..That would be the first North American public performance since he toured with electronic-pop pioneers Ultravox! in 1979."

..is that right?

B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
According to Nippertown this "..That would be the first North American public performance since he toured with electronic-pop pioneers Ultravox! in 1979."

..is that right?
Yes, sadly. I'm sure John has been in the States since 1979, but he hasn't had any performances here since then.

wow ... 30 years on then...

Yeah, that's why I'm disappointed I won't be able to be there. It's the first time in my life, as far as I know, that I'll be within a thousand km of John Foxx. By North American standards, Ottawa to Hudson isn't all that far. But the distance is greater than the distance from London to Newcastle, we'd need passports to get into the USA, there aren't many hotel options in Hudson, and I'm unemployed. Montreal would be easy, Toronto not so bad, but Hudson? Wrong place, wrong time.

Sorry to hear that you are not going Steve?
I am still planning to go. I will leave about 5 in the morning on Saturday. Anyone else going? What are your plans? Where are you staying?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.