Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 571 of 753 1 2 569 570 571 572 573 752 753
C
C
Today's listening started with Can: Tago Mago, then School Of Seven Bells: Alpinisms, and ended with Grouper: Cover The Windows And The Walls

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
some are wonderful, with some beautiful orchestral parts; others are pretty difficult to endure
thanks for the Gabriel Scratch My Back review Alex S, I emailed it to a friend as I knew that he was interested in hearing this particular album, turns out he’s already bought it and pretty much agrees with you, though he feels that there isn’t enough variation, and although it’s a seriously ‘down’ album he’s really enjoying it.

The Brits 2010 laugh - well this is a music thread afterall!

The Brits Awards has been on TV for at least 300 years now, it was fun in the dark early days when there were hardly any music awards shows, but now it’s often just pants and who really cares about it anyway apart from the big suits. Its not unlike CH4’s Big Brother in being a media curse that you try to avoid hearing about, but the Brits is like attempting to fend off a cold while you stand naked and neck deep in a muddy pond as some very ill people constantly sneeze all over you, eventually you will succumb.

I caught some of it last night when I got home, well, 3 minutes of it, Lady Gaga (who I quite like) looking like she was wearing a large whipped ice-cream on her head, and you could argue that Madonna spawned female artists such as Ms Gaga, but Lady G is oh so ‘art school’ in a way that Madge can only ever dream about being.

I turned on Sky News this morning expecting to hear about more world disaster and economic downturn and was instantly ‘updated’ on ‘the’ music event of the year, I had to down my cornflakes whilst also consuming Sir Robbie Williams latest award for Services To All Humankind, he’s finally gotten over his feigned embarrassment at always being nominated and always winning every music prize on the planet. As I listened to him swaggering through “Let Me Entertain You” I thought to myself surely its only a matter of time till Sir Robbie gets awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his music, he surely deserves it.

Apparently this year’s show was as predictable, ahem, sorry, the official tag line is ‘as controversial as ever’, (will we ever forgive Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood blundering aimlessly onstage). Last night we had the usual celebrity fraudster tactics, such as Liam Gallagher pretending to look for a fight, and pretending to ignore the very existence and importance of his fiendishly smarter brother Noel as he thanked only the other band members for helping make Oasis the greatest band in the world forever! and even Sir Robbie officially stated that Oasis deserved to Live Forever.
Liam, as the whole world must know by now, threw his mic’ (or his award?) into the crowd, rock and roll has really downsized in these times of recession, in years past the appropriate stance would have been to throw a big TV from out of a hotel window.

Lily Allen also pretended that she didn’t want to get noticed, or have to conceal her disappointment at not winning, so her tactic instead was to wear a big bright orange wig, a disguise allegedly, and babble enthusiastically on actually receiving her award, but in reality its no competition again this year for any of our female artists, as poor old Amy Winehoose is still lost somewhere in Rehab...

Peter Gabriel - So

M
M
Simple Minds - 'Empires & Dance' all week while I've been in Cornwall. Maybe that should be 'Empires & Pasties'. wink

Administrator
Administrator
Ordinary Psycho's haunting version of Hiroshima Mon Amour

Really taken with this lately. It has come up three times on random shuffles this year.

Utterly engaging and entirely credible.
The track is really dark and detached - yet full of sinister tones and emotion.

Underplayed to perfection

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
An international selection:

The Essential (early version) - Jean Michel Jarre
Themes - Vangelis
La Dusseldorf - La Dusseldorf
Viva - La Dusseldorf
Mecano (the clock album!) - Mecano
Il Divo - Il Divo

Chris wink

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Spent the last couple of days listening to William Basinski: Vivian & Ondine, his new CD, released just before xmas, but I got around to buying it this week. Its more accessible than some parts of his Disintegration Loops series, theres more feeling of movement, but its similar in nature in its absorbing slow-motion romanticism, this is one that I’ll easily be playing a lot this year.
Thanks for that, Core! I am something of a newbie when it comes to Basinski. I love "Melancholia" but despite acquiring numerous others through emusic I have yet to try them.

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
It's an interesting album, but one that will no doubt divide opinions.

PG with no drums or guitars - anybody expecting anything upbeat or close in style to the original songs is in for a bit of a shock - the songs bear no or very little resemblance to the originals, but surely the whole point of doing a cover is to put your own spin on a track, which is exactly what's going on here.

I'm in the lucky position where I'm only familiar with two or three of the album's tracks, and having little interest in the majority of original artists concerned, I'm approaching Scratch My Back with fresh ears and a largely unbiased opinion.

"Heroes" is arguably the best-known song on offer here, although Gabriel's version is nearly unrecognisable, having turned the track completely upside down, into a slow and moody affair, with a gradually building orchestral backing. Like "Heroes", "The Boy in the Bubble" is almost a complete opposite of Paul Simon's upbeat original; reduced to a sombre piano and vocal arrangement.

Elbow's "Mirrorball" is perhaps as optimistic as the album gets, with some lovely cinematic orchestral parts, but despite that, no memorable melody.

"Flume" is down right boring, but fortunately, salvation comes in the form of Talking Heads' "Listening Wind" – clearly the album's high point, perfectly lending itself to Gabriel's vocal style and the orchestral direction of the album, and perhaps the most overall successful new interpretation out of the whole selection.

Tracks such as "The Power of Your Heart" and "The Book of Love" are perhaps too underplayed and samey. Whilst quite emotive and easy on the ear, there's little added value.

The full impact of the orchestra comes into effect during "My Body Is A Cage" and "Après Moi", which has a typically Gabrielsque lyric to begin with so the overall result is quite impressive.

I'd started to yawn a little by Neil Young's "Philadelphia", feeling that the album was perhaps a couple of songs too long. And I was right. "Philadelphia" itself is not a great vocal performance at all and not easy on the ear, and the cover of Radiohead's "Street Spirit (Fade Out") is even worse.

I would have finished the album with Après Moi - it's just right for a dramatic closing number.

Sombre, slow and melancholic are perhaps the best three words to summarise the overall sound and style of the album. But it's not as suicidal as some critics have made out, and I can easily imagine many of the songs here turning up in film soundtracks in the near future.

Gabriel's raspy vocals are showing signs of age in places, although his upper range is not what it once was, age has blessed him with some lovely, earthy deep tones, adding a lot of character to the songs.

Given some of the comments I'd read prior to release, I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. Maybe not all the tracks work, some are wonderful, with some beautiful orchestral parts; others are pretty difficult to endure. However, detached from his usual world instruments and layers of production, this is Peter Gabriel at his most exposed and vulnerable, not to mention emotional.

Highlights: Listening Wind, Après Moi
This was playing in my local Fopp the other night (which was rather arresting to say the least). Interesting to hear the staff talking about it, describing each track as starting slow and quiet, slowly adding orchestra, and ending with PG almost shouting! Personally I thought it sounded terrific ("The Book of Love" was a song I recognised and it took me some time to remember who it was by and why I knew it) and I look forward to acquiring it in the near future.

S
S
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium

Excellent live album & the dvd is great too including there 2009 brit award performance.

Yello: Pocket Universe
Have this one for just a couple of months (the only album I didn't buy from the Swiss guys, shame on me!) and it's serious stuff.
It's telling the story of the birth and re-birth of the space we all live in.
A weightless album indeed! smile

Currently living somewhere in 1979-80 with Metal Box by PiL and The Psychedelic Furs by...The Psychedelic Furs.

Page 571 of 753 1 2 569 570 571 572 573 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.