Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 567 of 753 1 2 565 566 567 568 569 752 753
St. Etienne - Foxbase Beta : it's what it says on the packet, a re-production by Richard X of the original 'Alfa' - some tracks benefit, others less so.
I wonder if it will start a new trend of 're-producing' not just 'remixing'... :rolleyes:

Just back from a quick trip home to the UK, and brought back some more vinyl..

1) This Way, by Bruce Gilbert. I heard this at a "ballet" by Michael Clark many many years ago, and found it a fascinating sound - industrial sounds but in an almost ambient way? Hmm. Anyway, sounded good when I heard it again today.

2) Give Me, by I-Level. The engineer was Joe Dworniak who worked John Foxx a lot I believe. That was the link that got me listening to them, and it wasn't bad stuff (a wee bit bland, but fairly unique at the time)

3) Funkapolitan, album by Funkapolitan. Almost leading on from I-level in terms of style, I think a friend of mine influenced me on this one. Enjoyed "Illusion".

Lots of nostalgia today!

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Just back from a quick trip home to the UK, and brought back some more vinyl..

1) This Way, by Bruce Gilbert. I heard this at a "ballet" by Michael Clark many many years ago, and found it a fascinating sound - industrial sounds but in an almost ambient way? Hmm. Anyway, sounded good when I heard it again today.

2) Give Me, by I-Level. The engineer was Joe Dworniak who worked John Foxx a lot I believe. That was the link that got me listening to them, and it wasn't bad stuff (a wee bit bland, but fairly unique at the time)
You lucky thing! I have one Bruce Gilbert cd & that's 'In Esse', which is superb-o-mundo.

I bought a few I-Level 7"'s because of the Foxx connection. I remember one called 'Teacher' which was unbearably catchy, so was 'Minefield'. In fact all of their singles were catchy. Surprised that they didn't have more commercial success. Jo Dworniak also played bass. I think Duncan Bridgeman was also involved, might be wrong though.

Teacher - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnm6SmDlZg0&feature=related

Minefield - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht0JvSnTEC0

Give Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPMkjslzs70

S
S
Delphic - Alcolyte

Said to be Manchesters next New Order. I wouldn't go that far but only listened to it twice & it is a grower.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
You lucky thing! I have one Bruce Gilbert cd & that's 'In Esse', which is superb-o-mundo.

I bought a few I-Level 7"'s because of the Foxx connection. I remember one called 'Teacher' which was unbearably catchy, so was 'Minefield'. In fact all of their singles were catchy. Surprised that they didn't have more commercial success. Jo Dworniak also played bass. I think Duncan Bridgeman was also involved, might be wrong though.

Teacher - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnm6SmDlZg0&feature=related

Minefield - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht0JvSnTEC0

Give Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPMkjslzs70 [/QUOTE]

Correct - both Jo Dworniak and Duncan Bridgeman appear (a lot) on The Garden. Thanks for the links, sadly none of their stuff seems available on CD, so I may have to buy that USB turntable after all!! I have the teacher 7" as well, and did have the album, but that seems to have one AWOL over the years!

On my third listening of "This Way" now - first track on side two is my favourite. Kids hate it - "why are you listening to machines?". Something similar to what my mum was saying all those years ago!

Also with all that old vinyl was another blast from the past, a copy of edition 2 of the John Foxx Information Service newsletter! Great to read after all this time.
I wonder if anyone of the fans who submitted questions for that publication are on this forum?

M
M
Yello - 'Solid Pleasure'

Killing Joke - 'Fire Dances'

Dead Can Dance - 'Aion'

Chaps and Chapettes,

I couldn't find many references to "The Editors" on these pages. I just caught up with them on "Later, with Jools" and found them intriguing. Any "local" insights for me to be aware of? I think I'm going to order their first two releases via amazon - New Order Meets...... someone else! Great stuff I thought!

c

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Chaps and Chapettes,

I couldn't find many references to "The Editors" on these pages. I just caught up with them on "Later, with Jools" and found them intriguing. Any "local" insights for me to be aware of? I think I'm going to order their first two releases via amazon - New Order Meets...... someone else! Great stuff I thought!

c
I guess I'm a big fan since I have all of their albums.The latest is the most electronic they've done.Previous 2 are more guitar based with the odd bit of Ultravox (all eras) & New Order thrown in for good.Tom Smith's vocal style is quite unique.His delivery on some tracks comes over sounding like a working mens club crooner. laugh

I dont mean in a bad way though,I'm just looking for description.I can happily recommend all of their albums.

Latest album does owe more to New Order than the other 2.

Brian

Administrator
Administrator
I don't know much about The Editors either, so thanks for the tip-off. Will check them out.

Last night was one of those "what shall I play?" moments, and after several minutes rummaging through the heap of CDs I closed my eyes and went - "that one".

(I don't have a filing system, or even a shelf... :rolleyes: )

Call it what you will, but hearing Nick Cave's Murder Ballads was completely inspirational, and I've had it on twice today since.
It's not an album of his that I play very often at all, but right now I'd say it's up there with his best material.
There's crimes of violence, crimes of passion, crimes of madness - deserving victims, innocents in the wrong place at the wrong time, desperate lovers - wonderfuly written stories set to some subtle, dark and tense instrumentation.
Cave's interpretation of Stagger Lee brings out all the bitterness and hatred that Cave seems to deliver so well, and is sung with a viscious pride, and the dark tale of Eliza Ray (a haunting under-performance by Kylie Minogue) is one of the album's most serious and accomplished tracks.

The album ends with Cave's arrangement of Dylan's Death is Not the End which is as uplifying and moving as the rest of the album is macabre and cynical.

Super stuff. Best thing I've heard this year... wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 567 of 753 1 2 565 566 567 568 569 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.