Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 565 of 753 1 2 563 564 565 566 567 752 753
T
T
Grandaddy "Sumday"

Sample lyric from "I'm on Standby":

"Bye ... I'm on standby, out of order or sort of unaligned, powered down for redesign
Bye bye ... I'm on standby, according to the work order that you signed, I'll be down for some time"

C
C
The snow returned last night, so should I go back to playing winter themed music? ...no sod it! I'll go for a more warmer atmosphere with a cool breeze, and imagine I'm walking along a country path with Ulrich Schnauss: A Strangely Isolated Place, and David Sylvians: Blemish smile

Administrator
Administrator
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band

Trout Mask Replica

I'll say no more... cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Today, I'm working my way through the 1986 - 1995 singles boxset of Duran Duran. Fine stuff indeed.

smile

T
T
A strange playlist that includes Alvin Stardust, Marmalade, Jacaszek, Peggy Lee, Robbie Williams, Antony and the Johnsons, Steven Brown, Starbuck and Bertrand Russell. I should be a DJ ...

C
C
A few CD's on heavy rotation in the car currently:-

Deadmau5 - Lack of a better name

VNV Nation - Of Faith, Power & Glory

Little Boots - Little Boots

Chappie smile

C
C
Kate Bush: Aerial

Been musing on Kate this week thanks to fellow posters on this thread! So, Aerial has been getting a few plays over the last couple of days, shamefully I’ve not listened to it for some years, musically I was in other places with what I was listening to, but my impressions of Aerial now are more consolidated. On the one hand some of the music still sounds slightly dated in parts much as it did on its release in 2005, too many preset drum and synth loops, there’s a world of difference between being deliberately retro, or just ending up sounding dated, and this is more apparent on disc two than on disc one for me.

I just hope she open’s herself out to more progressive electro-acoustic influences in future, but I remain with everyone who shares the opinion that disc two is not just the best part of the album, but is the album, a tad whimsical at moments, but another gem in the crown of Kate’s great talent, and if only more ‘artists of talent’ would have a go at writing linked theme works, uh, oh, the dreaded ‘concept’ album rears its head again, well bring it back I say!

Disc one, yes still one or two great tracks here to visit, like Joanni, King Of The Mountain, and Pi, but its an uneven experience for me, and in truth I still don’t wish to go to some personal places she wants to take us, such as The Coral Room, or Mrs Bartolozzi. The whole of Aerial has a middle-aged sense of reality about it, no rocketships into the sky, or racing over mountaintops here, but over the last few years in my own life I’ve come to understand that reasons exist for this, and that events happen, and self progress or your enthusiasm for things can feel like its going to be forever prohibited to some degree, but its all normal, and one day it will all balance out again.

There I go, sounding all serious and introspective, well I’ve got Kate to thank for that, that’s just one of the jobs of a great artist, in the past she’s either lifted us up, or made us stop and think, here she’s content just to pause, and let us reflect with her on the passing of a peaceful day, and the beauty of the slowly changing sky above...

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Over the festive period:

Destination - John Foxx and the Maths
Above the Cloudline - Ajanta Music
Rio - Duran Duran
Live at Hammersmith '82 - Duran Duran
Lament - Ultravox
U-Vox - Ultravox

Chris wink

A very unhealthy amount of Sisters of Mercy bootlegs

Right - put a fair amount of Kate Bush on me i-pod now I'm off to get the papers and a cappuccino on the way.

Page 565 of 753 1 2 563 564 565 566 567 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.