Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 486 of 753 1 2 484 485 486 487 488 752 753
Found in the depths of the vinyl vault I have whilst searching for more Cocteau Twins stuff...

Sleeping Dogs Wake - Understanding (lots of "goth" memories!)

Röyksopp - Junior

The Archive
The Archive
I'm currently listening to Substrata by Biosphere (a perennial favourite of mine) as I've just heard that they released a new album (entitled Wireless ) a few days ago. Just ordered a copy as the press blurb (below) sounds rather intriguing...

Recorded live at The Arnolfini, Bristol, 27th October 2007 by the doyen of sound recordists, Chris Watson, using 2 x Sony ECM 77s with a Nagra P11 Ares flash card recorder, and from desk to hard drive. The recording was mixed, edited and mastered by Touch stalwart BJNilsen, in Berlin during March 2009.

This concert was part of Touch 25 Live, which also featured a performance of Storm [by Chris Watson & BJNilsen]. Biosphere is Norwegian composer and performer Geir Jenssen, and this is his sixth release for Touch. In the early 1990s he was a pioneer of so-called "ambient techno," but since then, he has refined his sound into something more magnetic and enduring. His last album, Dropsonde, wasn't a soundtrack like the interwoven Substrata, nor an episodic journey in the way that Autour de la Lune is. It pushed new directions towards the jazz colors of Miles Davis and Jon Hassell, while re-invigorating the pulse and projection of his signature sound: a hypnotic combination of pleasure and dread. Here Geir Jenssen takes this further, incorporating samples of field recordings by Jony Easterby and trumpet by Anders Karlskås, invoking a sparser, more arresting sound. A landmark release for Biosphere, his first live album, heralding new beginnings without jettisoning the past...

Rob

Today its the Awaydays soundtrack CD laugh

T
T
The same new stuff (the Depeche Mode album was indeed a grower and just keeps growing and growing!) and another new one:

U2 "No Line On The Horizon" - their best since "Pop". It's a shame about "Magnificent" (which is a B side at best, and not a very good one either) but the rest works.

Still trying hard with Sounds of the Universe - I put it on 'random' and you get some quite good combinations.
Yes it is a grower but I'm not sure how much it's going to grow exactly.

I found that songs started to stand out more when I shuffled them - I started enjoying it much more after I got into the songs that way and each came into its own.

yes, that's right. I saw there was a healthy debate on the official forum about how the tracks on SOTU should be re-arranged, each one giving their own version of the tracklist.
I like the 'tune-up' intro but In Chains is too slow a starter..

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
I'm currently listening to [b]Substrata by Biosphere (a perennial favourite of mine) as I've just heard that they released a new album (entitled Wireless ) a few days ago. [/b]
Cheers for the heads-up Rob! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
[b] Ruth White 'Flowers Of Evil'
Have you heard her Short Circuits album? That's good (but not as good as Flowers of Evil)[/b]
Not heard her 'Short Circuits' album, Garry. Have you heard 'Terror Tales' by 'The Old Sea Hag'? It's sublime. [/b]
I've not heard that at all - can't find any info on it either - will carry on looking!

Today it's I Like To Paint, Built On Sand, Asleep at the Wheels of Steel and Eric Random by Saint Etienne

Page 486 of 753 1 2 484 485 486 487 488 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.