Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 479 of 753 1 2 477 478 479 480 481 752 753
Of the Siouxsie and the Banshees' cds I have it has to be Juju. Absolutely fantastic.

....and thanks for the linky thing Garry.

Administrator
Administrator
Two albums today on a dusty old cassette - both representing my'point of entry' to their respective careers..

First 'up' :rolleyes:
The Good Son by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds from 1990.
I was in a much-favoured haunt, the Jericho Tavern, at An Emotional Fish gig. Pre-gig the DJ played a whole host of cool stuff including The Weeping Song from this album. It was my first of two Nick-Cave-jaw-dropping moments, and I was so taken with this stunning track that I went and asked him what it was.
Bought the album, and a whole new world opened up for me. The Hammer Song still hurts, and the aforementioned is a work of simple songwriting seldom bettered in terms of its insight, depth and maturity
Granted its not his best album, but probably the most significant for me.

On t'other side of this cassette is Julian Cope's masterpiece Peggy Suicide from 1991.
Tenacious, ambitious, rebellious, turgid, inspiring, silly, manic and complete who-gives-a-**** genius. Tracks like East Easy Rider and Beautiful Love capture everything he's every tried to do. He's done better since, and worse, but this is a wonderful introduction to his cray world.

Wedding Dress, blue hair - the world would be a sad place without nutters...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Live from the Nostalgia Room:

Peggy Suicide!
Got that on cd somewhere ...
(searching)
Found it!
(playing it)
God, what a lot of memories it brings back!
(enjoying the diversity of it)
And what a wonderful album it is!

Administrator
Administrator
Hurrah - nice one Lody!

Right now I'm getting to know Leftfield and enjoying the experience very much.
I picked up a copy of A Final Hit on the weekend, and realised I'd only heard two of the tracks on it before.

Ties in very well with my re-discovery of the first two Third World albums, which I have always loved. That dub-reggae thing has always had an appeal to me, and I appreciated its strong presence in the recent remix of Burning Car, which may have set the scene for this? John Foxx going back to his 'roots' (Dangerous Rhythm, He's A Liquid, Underpass) - I'm beginning to get a taste for the collabaration promised between Foxx and Paul Daley which I'm not sure i have really 'got' before.

The sleevenotes on this 'best of' explain Leftfield's philosophy of introducing dance music to vocalists who are unfamiliar with that genre - which again ties in nicely with John Foxx. I'm now really looking forward to a retro 90s dance music style, with perhaps some of the Mirrorball/My Lost City-esque vocals set to a pumped up hip hop rhythm?

Maybe it will tie in too with some of the Nation 12 material, and connect with the Metamatics project??

So far, my favourite tracks are
Storm 3000
Not Forgotten
and
Swords

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Beck: Sea Change

Sublime and beautiful. I cannot listen to any other Beck after hearing this one. I lost track of how many times I have played it.

John Martyn - Solid Air

S
S
David Sylvian - Blemish.

In anticipation of his new album Manafon.

Administrator
Administrator
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

featuring Johnny Marr on guitar. Follow up to the breakthrough album "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" in 2004.

How long this band 'stay' remains to be seen, and they could do with a hit, but they have certainly arrived. Good pedigree - one of those bands whom I suddenly found I have been following for a few years without realising it.

T
T
In anticipation of Mirrorball - Cocteau Twins: 'Heaven Or Las Vegas'.

Various Gary Numan album tracks - post weekend gig!

Page 479 of 753 1 2 477 478 479 480 481 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.