Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 434 of 753 1 2 432 433 434 435 436 752 753
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
[b] SKIDS: Days In Europa
A classic! I love the Skids. Dunfermline is one of the best 'Best of' compilations ever I'm thinking [/b]
A classic indeed. I was giving it an in-depth listen yesterday & I can't fault it in any way. The playing is superb, but what makes this album my favourite Skids one, is Bill Nelson's production work & complimentary keyboard arrangements. His mixing & use of effects are used intelligently & he really knows how to paint a sonic canvas.

'Days..' also sounds like the band & Bill had a really good time recording it.

'The Absolute Game' has just been released by Captain oi! with the inclusion of the 'Strength Thru Joy' mini lp + b-sides.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I found myself skipping a lot of tracks. I get the feeling that they wanted to go in a slightly more commercial direction, but got confused when they reached the crossroads. They should've stayed on the old straight track & kept Bill on board instead of using Mick Glossop, who was in favour at Virgin.

One last important note, is I don't know how Numan didn't get sued for ripping of the Skids track 'The Bell Jar'. Gary's 'I Sing Rain' is uncannily similar & too close for comfort. But I do prefer 'I sing Rain'.

Martin, the latest edition of WIRE magazine has a feature on Antony & The Johnsons. Antony is also on the front cover. I'm sure you know about this anyway.

Polyrock: Polyrock

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:

'The Absolute Game' has just been released by Captain oi! with the inclusion of the 'Strength Thru Joy' mini lp + b-sides.
Oooh - thanks. That's on my Christmas list for sure. I actually prefer their later material... cool

Quote:

Martin, the latest edition of WIRE magazine has a feature on Antony & The Johnsons. Antony is also on the front cover. I'm sure you know about this anyway.
I did know this, but Anthony has gone a little cold for me lately. Last time I played his second album I could only hear the resemblance to Boy George that some critic pasted somewhere, and that has rather put me off.
Shameful, as there are few like him for originality. I will have another 'go', re-acquaint myself wih what I first discovered, and be back on board by the New Year no doubt.

Thanks

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Street Sounds: Crucial Electro, Street Sounds: Crucial Electro 2 wiki-wiki-wiki! smile

Evanescence : Fallen

Excellent.

Imogen Heap : Speak for Yourself

I like "Hide & Seek", nice vocoder.

The Holy Bible (US edition) by The Manic Street Preachers in memory of
Richey Edwards who was declared dead this week

Now watch him turn up for the 2014 tour - '20th Anniversary: The Holy Bible - On Ice!' wink

Kraftwerk - 'Electric Cafe', and 'The Mix'.

NIN: Year Zero

The Killers 'Sam's Town' and the new album 'Day and Age'.

Administrator
Administrator
Edith Piaf, Jacques Brel, Juliette Greco et Charles Aznavour -

but not necessarily in that order wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 434 of 753 1 2 432 433 434 435 436 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.