Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 293 of 753 1 2 291 292 293 294 295 752 753
Jarre for me too in preperation for Sunday's gig. This morning, tracks from Oxygene, Magnetic Fields and Zoolook.
Ethnicolour 1 is stunning...

I'm currently listening to Alex's new collection of tunes. cool

Wahey! cool

Crowded House - 'Time On Earth'

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
Crowded House - 'Time On Earth'
A good call E.G. for a sadly overlooked album...

Speaking of which, I'm taking your advice and giving Revolutions (Jarre) another spin - so far, so good - though I'm not looking forward to London Kid, I may have to skip that one... wink

Rob

Ultravox!: Ha!Ha!Ha!

the alternative version of Hiroshima Mon Amour is quite interesting

Yes, London Kid is quite skipworthy!! Revolutions is a funny album, because you've got this magnificent, thunderous suite of the industrial revolution, and Tokyo Kid, which is good, then the aaaaawful Computer Weekend, the cheesey London Kid and September, which I find quite unbearable.

What was he thinking?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Quote:
[b] Crowded House - 'Time On Earth'
A good call E.G. for a sadly overlooked album...

Speaking of which, I'm taking your advice and giving Revolutions (Jarre) another spin - so far, so good - though I'm not looking forward to London Kid, I may have to skip that one... wink

Rob [/b]
Ahh, good man. I think you have to remember the context of when and the subject matter the album was trying to capture - if you think of that particular part of Londons Dockland in the mid-eighties, it was a really mixed bag that was changing so fast to create an incredibly diverse landscape in social, cutural and aesthetic terms. If you take the the legacies and history of the industrial revolution, the traditionally white working class areas of London were being swept away incredibly quickly by uncertainty for so many in so many aspects, not least identity. I appreciate it may not be your thing, but if you visited some of the areas of Canning Town, some of the sounds Jarre created on that album really do give a good representation of some of the new communities that we see now that were just establishing themselves in that area at the time. And I'd be happy to give you a tour of the area sometime to show you the scale of the change from 20 years ago at some point as it would give much more sense to the album.

smile

OK I know you were not replying to my post, but that's an interesting analysis.

I'd never thought of it that way, and not knowing London well at all, then maybe I can forgive myself. It may not change that some of the music doesn't do it for me, but the contrast in styles nicely fits your explanation.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
And I'd be happy to give you a tour of the area sometime to show you the scale of the change from 20 years ago at some point as it would give much more sense to the album.

smile
Ooooooo... roadtrip! laugh
Thank-you, I may very well take you up on that kind offer... wink

Rob

Page 293 of 753 1 2 291 292 293 294 295 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.