Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 261 of 753 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 752 753
M
M
Yello: Solid Pleasure

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Talking about going off the radar, today I have been right back to my childhood and put on a cassette recording of [b]The Everly Brothers eek
My dad used to play this kind of thing all the time, and I respect it MUCH more now of course than I did in my formative years. wink

Superbly crafted songs in the old school style when simplicity was more respectable.
And I love the innocence of the romantic dilemmas.

"Take A Message To Mary" is particularly good, prickling the hairs on my neck. [/b]
Going back a further generation...my dad requested the triple cd soundtrack of Dennis Potter's thirties-set drama of the seventies 'Pennies From Heaven' for Christmas, so that's what he got. He sits in quiet admiration marvelling at the 'wonderful' lyrics that they 'couldn't write today', as sung by Al Bowly, Josef Locke et al. To my ears they are laughably corny and simplistic, and I enjoy making little ditties in the same vein up on the spot that I think are as good/bad (delete as tastes incline) as the song he is listening to - to show it's as easy as that! However, he is also appreciating the naive charm in the same way as you are with The Everly Brothers, I think, Birdsong. And I can really understand that, even if I don't like the music. Plus, if the thirties had a nostalgic dimension for me, as it does for my dad, then I would probably derive some pleasure and warm comfort from the music too, not to mention a feeling that those songs are 'what music should be'. We are all, to an extent, products of our conditioning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
The Mojo "OK_Computer" CD
Giving this a listen again. With the possible exception of one or two tracks, this cd is great. I am going to look into some of the groups I have never heard before and pick up some of their stuff.

H Offline
Floored Genius - Julian Cope

M
M
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark

The B-52's: The B-52's

H Offline
Almost is excellent

Good choice of album

H smile

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by H:
Almost is excellent

Good choice of album

H smile
It's great, H. My second favourite OMD album behind Dazzle Ships. The debut album has Korg Micro-Preset all over it. I had one a few years ago, but in a moment of madness that I still don't understand, I sold it!!!! eek eek eek eek

P.S. On the same day, I also sold an Arp Pro Soloist. Insane, absolutely insane. I feel depressed now.

Administrator
Administrator
"Almost" is my favourite OMD track and regularly appears among my all time best-loved tunes.

I'm afraid though that I never got into them after the first couple of albums.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
CAN - 'Tago Mago'

Apparatus & Hand - 'Junk Receiver...'

I got the CAN DVD for my birthday - some great performances and a good documentary.

Much to the missus' annoyance I've dug out my CAN collection - I haven't air guitared to 'Halleluhwah' yet...but it's only a matter of time wink

Tonight I'm gonna play one of their most under-rated albums 'Saw Delight'

"Come with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! We will have a good time! Don't say no!"

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
The B-52's: The B-52's
I forgot all about The B-52's then all in one day I see your post and then the video for 'Roam'. I don't listen to them much but I do like them.

Page 261 of 753 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.